My little Palm seedling collection

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello,

Just wanted to post a photo of part of my little Palm seedling collection. I know some of you hard core collectors in more tropical climates may think of it as funny, but I thought I would go ahead a post anyway. I'd have to go out and make a list of the various ones.

In edition I also have a question. I have some palm seeds left over from last year. Does anyone know if these might still be viable?

Thumbnail by Dean_W
noonamah, Australia

I see a banana on the left. Of the others, looks like Caryota (maybe mitis?) centre bottom. Centre looks like Bismarkia nobilis. The other lower ones look like Archontophoenix (maybe cunninghamia?). Top right corner I'm not sure. It can be difficult when they're that small. But yours do look quite healthy.

Palm seed viability is quite variable. Some need to be very fresh, and some can last a very long time and still be viable. It's always worth a try anyway. I put them in ziplock bags (plastic bags) with sphagnum moss or peat and leave them in a very warm place. Then just check every now and then to make sure they're moist enough. Germination can take over a year with some species, others can be quite rapid. Good luck with them.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I had some Jubaea seed germinate 3 years after I picked it up off the ground. YOu never know sometimes.. sometimes Acrocomia seed can take over 5 years to germinate.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that a banana on the left.

Okay I'll go ahead and plant the seeds.

Quote from palmbob :
I had some Jubaea seed germinate 3 years after I picked it up off the ground. YOu never know sometimes.. sometimes Acrocomia seed can take over 5 years to germinate.

Thanks palmbob. I'll give it a go then.

Kerrville, TX

Hello Dean,
I live south & west of you, in the Hill Country. So, we have to make adjustments for our climate.
Your seedlings, compared to my single column sprouts, look BIG (and healthy). I just developed this interest in March, so am not very far along.
I have been posting my efforts on the 'Bismarkia Woydeytia' thread.
Looks like a good start for you.
Denis

Thanks Denis!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.