Morning Glories 2012 #02

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1249578

No Sora cross in 09

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

It's really nice to see this mornings blooms.

My first dark Deluted Fuji No Murasaki
Blushing Bride
Deluted Fuji no Murasaki x Keiru
Mix of blooms

This message was edited May 17, 2012 6:50 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Picture was blurry, thought I picked the right one so have to try again. Sorry but got the right one now.

This message was edited May 17, 2012 6:54 AM

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Love that last pic of the dark DFNM, a real beauty. I am so glad to be able to see your blooms Helena.
Most of my vines are still small. I fed mine a little this morning to try and hurry things along.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I also have a few that still are in tiny cups waiting to be transplanted. They would do better in bigger pots but I'm enjoying all my other blooming plants too. Be waiting to see your mg blooms too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Those last blooms are lovely too Helena. Love the violet bloom in the center, great color.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I am working on a morning glory garden. It is a large circular fenced in area with a broken double row of fence. I am soo upset to hear that the deer could be a problem. I guess I'm going to have to add some deer fence to the outer ring. How much area can I expect one morning glory to take up? I know this is probably an unanswerable question but I have to ask, it will make a difference in how many I plant. I start work on the inner fence today. Here is a photo of me after the first ring of fence posts went up. The narrower distances between the posts are to be open areas.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Gautier, MS

Domehomedee, that's going to be a very nice garden. I grew some on a fence several years ago and I liked how they looked. I spaced mine about 3 feet apart but once they got going I had to check them everyday to make sure they stayed in their area so I could collect seeds without mixing seed collection.It's just natural for the vines to run into each other but the view will be awesome! Good luck, hope you share your pictures with us.

I agree with Helena. We'll be looking forward to your pics Domehomedee. Always nice to add a new
Morning Glory lover to our ranks. :-)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Each fence section is 7 feet long and 4 feet high. Do you think I should put one or two plants on each section? If I put one they won't be able to comingle but I want it to be a fully covered.
I've been out there trying to get all the grass and weeds out so I can level the ground before I start the inner ring, what a dirty job.
I'm over 50 and lugging 8 wheelbarrel loads out to the compost pile is hard work.
Where are my children when I need them?

Gautier, MS

Domehomedee, I think I would be tempted to have at least 3 plants per 7 ft. for the maxime look. If you don't want to chance it then 2 plants.
I'm growing mine in gallon pots with a bamboo stick right now they are very close together and not trying too hard to climb on the neighbors stick. If you don't mind having mixed seeds I'd go for it.

I think we are all up in age, last year I paid my grand son to turn over the soil for me in one area so I could plant some in the ground. He likes earning a little spending money. What you're doing is hard work but you will have a nice reward with beautiful blooms to enjoy.

Here is my Q185

A No ID
Q269
Blushing Bride

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Oh those are beautiful Helena.
The Q185 is really special and Blushing Bride is a beauty.
I am still planting and I finally got my B Bride planted yesterday.
I planted a Bold Pink which may actually be Bold Miss Piggy. Ronnie didn't like that name, lol, so called hers
Bold Pink. I laugh every time I think about it. Planted a Candy Pink too.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I have a few more neat ones today. Some of the KU blooms seem very similar with light spreckles.

Q117 s nice medium bloom
Q962 ruffles
My first Pandy
Large bloom on this NO ID
Duskie & Choco mix

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Love all your blooms, Helena!

Just a sampling of what's blooming in my backyard this morning...

Thumbnail by nifty413 Thumbnail by nifty413 Thumbnail by nifty413 Thumbnail by nifty413 Thumbnail by nifty413
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I'm so excited! I emailed my seed friend and she is sending the morning glory seeds this week. She says she has 150 types and has sorted through and will send me about 50. All of these photos just have me drooling . . . LOL.
What's blooming in my yard . . . geraniums, alstroemeria and daylillies.
Dee

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, where are my manners?

Welcome to the addiction, Dee! If you need any more enabling I'll be glad to send you some more seeds!^_^

-Nick

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Nick - thanks for the offer, but I have a feeling I'm going to have more seed than I know what to do with.
I love your flower photos. It's going to be fun looking up all the MG varieties so I can plant them with some concept of color coordination. Mostly so that it's easy to distinguish ones on the same trellis for seed collection.
Dee

Beautiful blooms Helena and Nick.
Love all your blooms Helena. Gorgeous bloom on Q 117 and 195
Hope my Pandy blooms open soon.
Your pandy is really nice

Nick, nice to see a ChaChaMaru, been a while since anyone has sent pics of that one.
Your blues are lovely too as well as the gray.

Hattie Bell

Thumbnail by patootie
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Dee & Jackie. :-)

Jackie, your Hattie Bell looks very cheery!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

very pretty everyone!

Thanks Nick and Debra.
Nick, Hattie Bell was from a few yrs ago but I have one up in the tub out back..
Thanks to Dany.for the sds. I love her because she always makes pretty blooms
even if she's not fancy.

Gautier, MS

Very nice blooms Nick and Jackie. Nice to have you back Debra.

I was wowed with these gorgeous blooms this morning. The first 2 blooms top then bottom are from the same vine then the 2 blooms together.
Fourth bloom is of another Deluted Fuji no Murasaki x Keiru and the dark Deluted Fuji no Murasaki

Gautier, MS

Some more blooms from this morning.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I think each of your photos deserves a "wow," Helena! Seriously, those crosses that have blue that looks almost turquoise—awesome!

A couple first-time bloomers from this morning...

Thumbnail by nifty413 Thumbnail by nifty413

Agreeing with Nick Helena, the turquoise blooms are drop dead gorgeous. I love all your blooms though.

Nick, nice blooms you're sporting this morning.

I wish I knew the id of this one from 09, a pale, pale blue. I may try 1 sd just to see
what it produces this time.

Thumbnail by patootie
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I love the turquoise too, so pretty.
Any of you guys grow morning glories in hanging baskets? I thought this might make a good addition to the morning glory garden since I just bought a bunch of hanging baskets. I noticed the hardware store had those shepard hook things on sale too.

I do ...

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oh that's such good news . . . I think I'll check into the shepards hooks tomarrow.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Nick, Jackie and Dee. Nice blooms Nick, Jackie and Debra.

The color of this first bloom is actually a deep plum purple.

Very pretty Helena.

Nice basket MGs Debra.

love the 4th bloom the best today, helena

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie and Debra. I'm happy as a clown with all my blooms!

The first bloom is nice & large Kai no Kasumi

Wonderful blooms Helena.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. I have another bloom without an ID, a large light lavender.
Q117
repeats
Kai no kasumi

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I thought I'd share a picture of the MG garden 1/2 painted. The wind is already getting bad and it's not even 10am. I've decided to put a water feature, something low to the ground for the quail, in the center, and put a bench off to one side that faces a hillside (I'm standing on it to get the picture) I have already landscaped with agaves, aloes, and xeriacape plants. Looks like I'll be able to start planting tomarrow, that is if this feeling I'm getting a cold goes away.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Helena, Gorgeous light lavender and Q117
I wonder if your lav bloom might be Lavender Mist, I haven't seen
her pic in yrs.

Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie. It's possible for that bloom to be Lavender mist, I'm just not sure.

Yesterday I looked on my to do transplanting tray with a few that needed transplanting. It's possible to get blooms from mgs in their tiny pots. Look, but afterward I transplanted into bigger pots. 2nd pic is the bloom from that pot.
3rd is Q961
Q185
My yellow trumpet lily

Gautier, MS

Repeats but still gorgeous blooms!

Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, the 2nd pic looks like Purple Sun Smiles, very pretty.
I loved the one I grew in 2010.
Love the Blue and white blooms. Is that Diluted Fuji no Murasaki x Keiryu?

Thumbnail by patootie
Gautier, MS

Thanks Jackie, it could be. I like your vine, very pretty. Yes that light blue is Diluted Fuji no Murasaki x Keiryu.
I forgot to post this pic which is also from another vine of DFNM, reverting maybe?

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.