Supersized leaves on epimedium x sulphurum

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I moved two epimedium last winter and they have done extremely well. I noticed something in them I have never seen. The leaves are supersized on some of the growth. I've never seen them so large. Has anyone else experienced this?

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I think it's fairly typical. The 2nd flush of growth (after the bloom) often has larger leaflets.
But I think it means they're happy!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Wee. They get more shade in this garden. I have a bunch of part sun part shade plants, and it's interesting to see how they respond to less light. Some of them are growing at a much faster rate than they were in sun. And very little watering, which they needed before.

This is fun!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

May have something to do with the mild winter we had too. My Bloodroot had HUGE leaves this year after flowering.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Could we clone this weather?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Quote from DonnaMack :
Could we clone this weather?

Don't know about that, I kinda like the snowy winters of my youth!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I wasn't crazy about the 2 feet we got at one time. And when we were kids there were snow days. This year we got three shovelable snowfalls, which was enough. And of course, we are much further north that you are, and our winters are more severe.

I did notice that my Epimedium got a second flush of growth after the early spring one. This second flush is also much taller. Also have one that sent out a second, smaller group of blooms. Very strange.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

So it's weird for you too? Weird as in very unusual? I've had these epimediums for years. The leaves are much bigger and much taller.

I've had mine for years as well, scattered throughout the beds. In some areas, E. alpinum 'Rubrum' is behaving in the usual way. 'Snow Queen' is showing taller growth. E. acuminitum x davidii sent out a smaller, second flush of flowers. 'Sulphureum' is taller this year as well. 'Lilafee' had some gorgeous flowers this year.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Really interesting. A second flush of flowers! Wow!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

This is epimedium Yokihi with a few bonus flowers today.
A month or two after it's first bloom this past spring.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Weerobin, that's very cool. I'm going to keep an eye on mine.

That 'Yokihi' is a pretty thing!
I'm wondering if getting so many sunny days in early spring and intense sun ever since will stimulate second blooms on other plants as well. A lot of my stuff bloomed early this year (as did everyone's east of the Miss). Hmm, maybe like adding 6 weeks on to our growing season? (Wishful thinking.)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow! Weerobin, I amgetting new blooms too!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's a pic of just how big the bloodroot was. Taken April 8th.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That is just enormous! Mine in my old yard were perhaps half that size. May I ask who your supplier was?

Holy smokes! Those are some big leaves. I did notice mine had larger than usual leaves as well. I am hoping for a little rain shower tonight though since we've had intense sun again and tomorrow should climb to almost 90. Hotter on Sunday.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Donna, my supplier was Mother Nature. They grow wild in the woods around here.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I got mine at Milaegers in Racine. I never understood why they were so popular until I saw them in person. I was attempting to buy a rose one and a white one, but they were mislabels and I ended up with two sulphurum. I normally am not a fan of yellow, but it is such a delicate color that I fell in love with it. The clumps I have, which are rapidly expanding, came from my old house. They were very inexpensive - about $5 a plant. I cut off a clump to give to a neighbor, took two clumps, and checked back to find that the original is thriving.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I noticed my epimediums are still putting out blooms.
Pretty remarkable for June!
#2 is e. Yokihi as above
#1 is e. rhizomatosum
Both still blooming in June...

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 6:40 PM

Thumbnail by Weerobin Thumbnail by Weerobin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Weerobin,

I was still getting blooms last week, and my epimedium offsets are now close to the size of the original plants, which have been in for years!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Still blooming and blooming... like the Energizer Bunny!

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, that's amazing! I wouldn't have thought that possible!

Always great to see those spring bloomers extending their season. Haven't seen any more blooms here but we were hot and dry for quite a spell until last night.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have been growing the large epimedium for 10 years as a ground cover on a steep bank. It seems to get larger leaves the longer it is in place

That's certainly a consideration. Hadn't thought of that.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Arfitz, it really makes me want to move them around. The ones at our house under contract (YAY!) are in much more sun. These beauties can take sun, but they bloom better, and look fresher, in shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.