Your experience with mock orange?

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I have a random bare-root Philadelphus x virginalis to put somewhere. But advice on growth habit seems to be all over the place -- would I be happy with it in the front shrubbery, where I am ripping out a huge dogwood? Its neighbors would be a lilac, beauty berry, rhodies & what looks to be a small-leaved laurel. (In the photo, looking east, it's the border on the right. Even further to the right, as a backdrop to this shrubbery, is a thick streetside row of cypresses cut to about 10 feet.)

If it is indeed more tree-like than hedgerow material, it can go on the hillside out back by itself.

Would be delighted to get any feedback before I toss this thing in the ground somewhere.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

When I was a kid we had a mock orange by the outhouse. It had been there for years. The house was built in 1905. It was probably fifteen to twenty feet high and probably 10 feet across. Beautiful. I think it would be a great part of a hedgerow. And the do smell good.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

OK, that makes me think it would do better out back. The beautiful thread-leaved maple in the photo had to come down today because of this winter's biggest ice storm. And truth be told, it was a good thing for the front garden because it simply was too big for the space. Amid all the carnage from the storm, a couple of lilacs bloomed strong, probably because they were finally getting some sun. I didn't even know they were back there!

I AM really looking forward to the fragrance of the mock orange, though I've read that it can be variable.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I put in 3 of the native mock oranges, Philadelphus lewisii 3 years ago. I'm still waiting for them to bloom for the first time. Upon reading, it sounds like non-blooming philadelphus is a common problem. But no solutions really offered. I'm hoping its because mine are still fairly small. They have full sun.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I planted 3bare root native Philadelphus about six years ago. They were pretty small when I got them and only 1 really ever took off. It bloomed at about the three year mark, so there is definitely hope for yours. My others got lost in the weeds and were mowed because nobody noticed they were there.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

That's good news!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Just checked this afternoon, and my mock orange have a ton of flower buds. Yay! Patience, pays off, I guess.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

My native ones are now blooming for the first time. No fragrance though....???

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That beautiful. I so glad it bloomed for you. I'm going to work on getting a row of flowering shrubs on the fence line for a little more privacy. Moch Orange is one for sure.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Very pretty. I think I'll go plant mine right now, next to the spreading pink dogwood that has gone nuts this summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.