Our Garden Shortly Before Daylily Bloom Season

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Soon there will be daylily blooms everywhere, so I decided to take a few prebloom shots this morning. The only blooms we have so far are on Stella's Sparky.

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

And just a few more shots ! In the last one, our Knockout Roses are peeking through the fence to hobnob with the daylilies (and shading them !)

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
Beaverton, MI

Gingerjar love your yard the deck reminds me of a treehouse must be a nice veiw
from there, I dont have anyb scapess yet but soon. I hope.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

GingerJar, you have a nice secluded and private set up. looking forward to pics of your blooms. I have several with scapes and one "Prairie Wildfire" that have flowers opened on it that the cold nights took its toll on.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Can't wait for the blooms to get going!! We're getting a nice rain today, so that's very welcome. Since we put up a fence to keep out the deer a few years ago, the main hazard for our daylilies is drought. We have our own well, and it isn't capable to allow us to do significant irrigation. Of course, there's also thrips and aphids. Farming of all types has many hazards.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow what a pretty yard! I have some DLs blooming but the nights are getting down in the the mid to high 50s and so they are not opening well :( then the daytime temps hit the high 80s or 90s. I am sure they are confused about what they are supposed to be doing!!

It is bone dry here.............going to be a rough summer if we don't get some rain soon!

Genna

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Eagerly awaiting pictures, but not I am sure, as eagerly as you are waiting for the actual blooms! LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Don - Your garden is awesome, can't wait to see the blooms..........

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! Lots of scapes now, but only blooms on Stella's Sparky. By the way, that was hybridized by a long time member of one of our local clubs- National Capitol Daylily Club.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very very nice!!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Third bloomer of the season after Stella's Sparky and Stella D'Oro is out today. It's Bali Watercolor.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Bali watercolor is a great looking flower.

Does it have strong scapes?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

It seems to. I don't have it in the best location-somewhat shady, but I don't recall it ever falling over or leaning too much.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

First bloom today on Tigerland. This one has always shown a lot of thrip damage in our garden in other years, so I'm pleased to see how good this first bloom seems. I just see two small specks on the bloom. I did spray once early, but have started using a systemic insecticide that you sprinkle around the base of each plant. Also at someone's suggestion on the AHS website I've planted white alyssum in the daylily beds. She said that it attracts some insect that eats aphids and thrips. We'll see. Anyway the alyssum looks nice.

This message was edited May 20, 2012 9:03 AM

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Very nice!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Don, I like Tigerland.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's Mexicali Miss. She's often been the first to bloom here, but this year she's sixth.

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Tigerland reminds me of 'Port Orange'. Its nice.

I remember your 'Miss' from previous year. What a nice saturated orange.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that Tigerland!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Three first time bloomers this year on May 22:
Merry Moppet
Spacecoast Firestarter
Christine Dixon

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Very nice!

Horse Cave, KY

Gingerjar,
You have such a beautiful home and gardens. You must work in it daily to keep it looking that good. We'll done!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you ! My wife and I do spend a lot of time at it, but we love it.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Kiss My Grits

Thumbnail by gingerjar
Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Pretty!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just loved my KMG last year. I thought it had such clear colors. It has nary a scape this year.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Wonder Why?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh my, I love, love, love that Kiss My Grits!!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a couple shots of the garden taken as we approach peak. They were taken from our porch area.

Thumbnail by gingerjar Thumbnail by gingerjar
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Really pretty....... bet it is nice to just sit out there and enjoy a cup of coffee and enjoy the blooms!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh,Yeah!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Curious.... how far apart do ya'll usually plant your DLs??

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Probably too close-in some cases, about 18 to 24 inches. Better to have them farther apart, but then you can't have as many. LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL.... I know what you mean and since mine are just starting out they look pretty sparse in the beds!

Thanks!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Do you know the names of all of them? Wow! What else do you grow in your gardens?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I do know all their names. We do have labels on them, but I can usually identify them just by a glance. Don't mean to boast. It's just how it is. I'm obviously obsessed. Of course, some of our neighbors accuse me of just making up the names as I go along. Not truie!!!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Boast all you want to; I think if one works with their plants on a regular basis, you seem to remember their names. Plus seeing the Plant ID markers over and over helps one to remember. Only trouble some are so similar in looks, how old would you say your daylily garden is? I can't wait to see pictures of it all in bloom..we hope you'll share your pics with us here on this forum. Are daylilies the only flowers you grow?

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

I've grown some daylilies since the early 70's, but didn't go crazy until about 2003 when we joined the American Hemerocallis Society and the local Free State Daylily Society. You shold join. We have a great time. Our show will be on July 8 at the Cylburn Arboretum. It's open to the public.
We have a couple shade beds witn Hosta, Coral Bells and ferns. My wife has quite a few cone flowers of several colors, azaleas, hydrangea, etc. We also have lots of daffodils for some early color.

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's what the daylily patches looked like this afternoon after we live headed all the blooms in anticipation of garden visitors tomorrow. It's quite a job!

La Plata, MD(Zone 7a)

and here's some of what our visitors saw today

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.