Rooting plants...the trials and tribulations thereof...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Any thoughts suggestions on the rooting my Japanese Clerodendrum in case I don't have enough babies to go around? I found this interesting article (I'd never heard of this method before) but that won't help till fall and by NEXT spring she'll be producing more babies.... http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-propagation/rootcuttings-120812.htm

Thumbnail by Chantell
Crozet, VA

Interesting article Chantell. Wish I could give you a yes or no answer on your question, but all I can is that it won't hurt to give it a try with this method...you just never know. I know that in times past I have been certain that things I have done with some of my plants were going to kill them and they actually went on to be very lovely and healthy plants in the end. There are still a few plants that I kill with regularity though, much to my chagrin. Oh well, at least I have dozens more to keep me happy.

If you decide to try this method, please give us an update on what occurs. Will be interesting to hear. Good luck.

Ruby

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, I had just about given up on trying to root my cuttings. For some reason I don't get too many "babies" near my bushes either. This method sounds GREAT since the roots are just about there already and we are only waiting for the top growth. I will definitely want to try it when the plants go dormant if I feel comfortable tolerating the cold weather that it takes for them to get to that state. By the way, the "pup" that you gave me at Holly's swap a couple of years ago is just beautiful and has a corner spot in the front of one of my gardens.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think I will try this with a couple of plants next year as it seems easy enough. Thank you both for your feedback and Roses glad the one I gave you is doing well! Always so nice when others can enjoy the plants you do!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've read that you can do 'root cuttings' but never tried. Funny- I was about to d mail you and ask about rooting Plumeria sticks. My Plumeria is ugly since it got black tip last spring, and I broke off a branch last fall. ..Plus it lost all its leaves by the time it could go outside (mites) . Tiny new leaves just starting. I'm tempted to cut one of the stems off to root, and to even up the branching a little.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh Plummies are easy to root!! Take a cutting shove it in a well draining mix of soil - lots of good bottom heat and whaaa laaaa. Would you like another Plummie or cutting...I can certainly bring you either...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very interesting. I have not had good luck with a few woody plants and I think I would like to try this idea.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle--

I would love to trim the taller shoots off of my re-growing Camellia.
They are, at this time, not soft-wood, but hard-wood. They are starting to leaf out--still
in the tight bud-leaf stage.
I know Camellias are not so easy to root. Happy suggested ait-layering (I may try that...)
or bending a branch down and covering it with soil to root.
This is not possible--as none of the branches reach the ground.

Have you ever rooted a her-wood cutting of a camellia, Chantelle????
I need to do something--very soon!!!
The air-laering (nick, moist sphagnum moss, plastic tied around it on both ends)
seems the best to me at this time. There will not be any bloom this year--as it spent the last year
growing new stems like gang-busters.

Any advice???? Thanks, Gita

These were taken in April. They are more leaf-ready now.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Why not go on one of the Southern States gardening forums and see if somebody there can help you? The South has a lot of camelias and azaleas..Does Southern Living magazine have any gardening forums on their website. I would think so. You don't see many camelias up there. I know my NC Sister-in-law sent me some camelia seeds probably 40 plus years ago and that thing never rooted, was like an old hickory nut, hard as a rock. Don't they also need sandy soil? My neighbor across the street has a big tall camelia bush, it is planted in a corner, protected from the sun and winds..It had hundreds of blooms on it about a month ago. She doesn't associate with only one person on this court of 18 houses, so I wouldn't consider asking her and she doesn't seem like the type that knows much about gardening.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Pippi---

I already have a Camellia "guru" I have used for years. He lives in GA.

It is Mike--mqiq77--He knows camellias!
It has been a while! I need to bring him up-t-date on mine. However--our climates are different.
Not everything he can do THERE--I can do HERE! But--he HAS helped me a lot.

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ahhh yes, Mike is a WEALTH of information - not to mention a great all around guy!!! I don't have any camellias so no exp with that type of plant unfortunately. The min. rooting knowledge I have I've learned from others on DG :-) Hmmm matter a fact, I think I should ask Mike or Shoe (if he's still here on DG) or our JBerger their opinions on rooting my 'Shooting Star' gardenia I purchased from Flower scent gardens when he was still open. She's over 5' tall now and I need to prune her away from the side walk...so I'll have cuttings. Always have issues with white flies with her though...don't know why. They certainly don't care about any of my other plants right by her...just the gardenia! I used that mix that Sally told me about a few years back and I 'think' (fingers crossed) that they're mostly gone. She certainly looks very healthy to me!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.