OT-Alternate fate for Tomato Hornworms ?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Well, I thought I had a solution for my occasional hornworm problem. Watching Top Chef Masters, Hornworms (yes, alive) were presented as an ingredient. Just think, I could harvest them and sell them to local fine-dining restaurants!

Unfortunately the recipes (including Coconut Hornworm Soup) flopped.

But then again, finding a local "fine-dining" restaurant might be an insurmountable obstacle anyway.

Can't see really hornworms as a part of Meat and Three.....

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ugh! None for me, thanks.

Tonto Basin, AZ

Gross!!! Although I must say the road runners love them.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Only my chickens, pea fowl and guinea birds would agree. LOL

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I tried offering them to my chickens. The responxe was a bunch of feathered faces looking at me incredulously. "EAT that? YOU eat it. I'll take the tomatoes....."

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

My dog loves Japanese beetle grubs. I've never offered her caterpillars - hmm... maybe I should try one to see if she likes it.

Here wormy, wormy wormy!

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I used to throw hornworms in our pond. They're very light and they float, and it was fun watching the bluegills go on a topwater "feeding frenzy".

I haven't seen a hornworm for years now, though. I started mulching my garden paths with grass clippings from our lawn, and small black brachnid wasps live in the mulch all summer. They constantly patrol the tomato plants at high speed like a bunch of little fighter planes, and that was the end of hornworms in my garden.

But as far as eating hornworms in any form - naaah. I'll eat the fish that ate the hornworm. :>)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Me, Im still wondering were all the snails came from and where all the Fire Ants went.....?

Orazk-also, by mulching the paths, the moths cant get to the ground to lay their eggs, and the worms that do hatch cant get out. " I'll eat the fish that ate the hornworm." I agree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.