Greenhouse added to shed?

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

The front of my shed is rotting. I think whoever built it did not use treated wood. The doors are falling apart. I would like to just take off the doors and add a greenhouse to the front of it. We have hard winds here in Corapeake NC I think this would help with the winds by adding the green house to the front of the shed. I dont have any plans yet but have a neighbor who I think would help me with this. I dont dare bring it up to my dh because the last time we built our back porch he said that was going to be last thing we build. It just seems like it would not be that hard to do. Any thoughts on this. I would get the sun from east and west from both sides. The winds usually come from the north here and that would be where I would attach it to my shed. I would just go straight through the greenhouse to get to my potting shed.

Sami

Dolan Springs, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think the strong winds that you describe would make it necessary to have a sturdy frame. It sounds like a very nice idea, and if you can figure out how to 'mate' the greenhouse to the shed it should work great. Good luck!

thanks mountaindweller Your right need to figure out how to mate it to the shed

sami

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sami, I wouldn't think you get heavy snows there. A simple pressure treated wood frame with polycarbonate panels or even a uv poly sheeting would probably do alright. Your biggest concern would be adequate ventilation. If you used poly sheeting, you may be able to fix the sides so you can roll them up. Ric

PS. I'm assuming you want to extend your season, not use it all year.

This message was edited May 20, 2012 12:37 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Holly AnnS You are right we dont get heavy snows here. I would like to be able to use this all year round too thought. We hardly had any cold weather here at all last winter. I have a neighbor who is very good in building and I think I will ask him to draw me some plans up. We have kept their little boy for them a few times and I think he would return the favor for this.

Sami

Which direction does your shed face? If it is south, that would be perfect. Can you put up any pictures?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sami, This is Ric , Holly's husband, I usually sign my post.
Mountaindweller is correct, if you have southern or southwestern exposure it's better. Using bricks or rocks to build benches can help collect excess heat during the day and insulating the shed will decrease heating needs also. You will need to maintain about 40*F at night, 50 for some tropicals. Heating can be expensive depending on what you use. Hope this helps. Here's a link to ours. Ric
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/

That's a beautiful GH!

Mountaindweller , Ric thanks for the good info. My shed does face the south so that is a plus. It will be a while before I can get this started but wanted to get some ideas on it before I proceed with it. Here is pic of the shed. It needs some work done on it and want to do that first.

Sami

Thumbnail by Sami
Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

A greenhouse is a very humid environment with lots of condensation, especially in cold weather. You might think about the impact of that moisture on the shed. Also since you would like to use the greenhouse year round, you will also be heating the shed if it is open to the greenhouse. Your shed is nicely shaped. A greenhouse framed up to match would be practical and nice looking.

thanks WayneKy you are right I guess I didnt think about that. It is just the wind blows so hard here I thought maybe the shed would help keep the gh from blowing away. The man next door had his carport blow over into the next door neighbors yard.

I love the town of Cadiz I have been there many times with my sister who lived in Paducah. I love the antique shops. Havent been there in a while though. Have a brother that still lives in Paducah. We go to visit them. Havent been back in over a year now.

Sami

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sami, I agree the shape is good and the shed would be a good attachment as well as act as a good headhouse.
It would not be expensive to insulate the shed and panel it with like vinyl bathroom paneling to keep the moisture out of the walls. If you have the time you can pick up a damaged sheet here and there at building supply's on the cheap, and a gallon of good exterior "oops" paint for a couple of$ at the local hardware. The size of the shed walls should be nearly right for roll-ups or hinged panels for ventilation. This web site can give you some idea on heating needs:http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/heater-wizard
Ric

Ok let me get this straight. YOu are saying add the greenhouse to the front and then insulate the shed and panel it. I dont understand about the shed walls for rollups or hinged panels for ventilation. I am not really sure what a headhouse is. I guess I am a really dumb lady here.

Sami

No such thing as dumb! Just currently-unknowing! :>) I personally have never heard of headhouse or rollups either!
I think that if you were thinking of keeping the whole thing very basic and simple, your biggest expense will be the greenhouse. Maybe instead of the headache of connecting it directly to the shed you could make a solid footing for it, and keep them separate. No
extra moisture issues, no connecting issues, just the greenhouse you've been wanting?

I just thought it would be better because of the winds we have here and could work on it a little at a time. I may still try to do that and like Ric said I could work on the shed and get it ready since I already have some issues with repair work on it anyway.

sami

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Head houses are usually a building attached to a greenhouse for use as a work area, potting and so on, and may also contain the heat source and utilities. On plastic film greenhouses the sidewalls are often designed to be rolled up in good weather to reduce the cooling needs and expense. On polycarbonate panel houses the sidewalls can be designed to open or be removed. No fancy construction just a pressure treated frame with greenhouse film. Here's an example of roll ups, although this is an expensive one. LOL Ric
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/cat1;gs1_greenhouse_accessories-gs1_vent_openers_1;gs1_side_wall_curtain.html

Ok now I understand. I like that idea. May still go with attaching to the shed. Have to work on Hubby about that. He has electric running to his shed which is next to my shed so might be able to connect to his. We have a friend who is an electrician and I think he would help us with that.

Sami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.