Melanie Builds an Orchid House

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, it looks terrific. I'll bet by the time you've finished collecting orchids, you will have a Shade Palace, not just a shady shack.

I think your lattice and screening will very likely discourage the squirrels. I keep many of my orchids inside our pool cage, which is just screening. Have not had a single squirrel make an entrance. It could have something to do with the cat as well, though! We have lots of acorns, too. Not to mention the bird seed from my two bird feeders, about half of which feeds a host of fat squirrels.

That being said, I am out of town this week so all the orchids are outside under the oak trees where they will get misted regularly. Most are down near the ground so it will be interesting to see if the cat can protect them from the squirrels there.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, my neighbor's cat wanders through our yard quite frequently. Maybe I should stop scaring it off, LOL! We also have a red-shouldered hawk that I wish I could train to swoop down and attack. We did make it so the orchid house could be expanded in the future. There's still quite a bit of room on the back before you hit my neighbor's property line!

Melanie

north coast nsw, Australia

wont you need shadecloth over it?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, Bree. Have you been hiding again? We miss you. I think Melanie has lots of big oak trees shading the area. As for me, I'm putting Aluminet over the greenhouse part of the OC. It goes up on Saturday.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yeah, I have a giant oak tree covering the shade shack. It gets light from the east and south side until about 1pm and then the house and other trees get in the way. Dad investigated while he was outside doing some woodturning.

Melanie

north coast nsw, Australia

oh ok, im just use to my full sun all day yard. hehe!
Ive been checking out all your orchids but have none flowering myself so havent been posting. You orchid house sounds and looks great Jim. Ready for some more orchids now. ha!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that my collection has blossomed to more than 220 plants and there still seems room for just one more. :>)

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

There's always room for one more!

Melanie

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

But . . nobody ever comes home with just one more. Seems more like 6 or 10 leap into my car whenever I'm looking at orchids.

Most of mine are very small right now, though.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Good thing as I just spoke with Bill Thoms (orchid guru who wrote the book on Bulbos) and he is bringing a prize winning Bulbo bicolor to Tuesday's Tampa Orchid Club meeting for me. I'm excited about seeing the Aluminet go up tomorrow.

Jim

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

dyzzypyxxy, I have three or four jump in the car when I'm NOT shopping for orchids. They just seem to be in the area

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, did you get the screen door in place yet?

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

No, I had to wait until I got paid today. We'll be making another trip to HD this week.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

What? No more pictures?
Lavina

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, what happeed to the long awaited screen door and what about a picture with the orchids all in place?

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, by popular demand I went outside and took some pictures. The benches are just step runners with boards across. I haven't moved all the orchids in yet; I still have a few I need to gather up.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Melanie, did your dad get the step runner idea from your visit to my place?

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup, we thought that was a good idea, and economical, too.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

How about the screen door?

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks to me like the squirrels could make another orchid luncheon any day now, Mellie! Better get that door on the house!

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of squirrels, they dug up one of my prized cycads and started gnawing on the cone. Much more of that and I will declare war on them and it won't be pretty.

Jim

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Love your house and the lattice work has given me an idea.

Lavina

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone! Supplies for the door have been purchased, but we haven't put it up yet. Too much else going on. For some reason, the squirrels don't tend to hang out in that part of the yard, but I want a door just in case they get any ideas.

Melanie

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I have thoroughly enjoyed the building of the new "chid Chack". What do you do in the winter?
I collect bromeliads, but woul love to know how to grow orchids. What are the orchid that have very long roots and not in pots called. Those are very interesting to me.

Can't wait for the next pic.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The ones with the long roots are vanda orchids; they're some of my faves. In the winter I bring everyone in the garage or cover them with blankets - that includes my bromeliads, too. Although, over the years I've learned which ones can take the cold and which ones will die if uncovered. Gardening is always trial and error for me. : )

Melanie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The house has a door! It still needs to be screened in and a handle added, but at least I have a door now! I also had a surprise visitor - a Gulf Fritillary chrysalis! That caterpillar had to have wandered 30-40 yards to get from its host plant all the way over to the orchid house. At least it picked a nice, safe spot!

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Congrats on the door. You are inching closer to completion.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yay, Melanie! Get out there with the staple gun and screening, girlfriend.

All you need is one fragrant orchid to put out a bloom, and the squirrels will find out where you hid all those delicious plants. I have cattleyas that smell just like spice cookies, and the raccoons come into my pool cage after them if I leave them outside! (the cat has a door through the screening, perfect for raccoons to sneak in)

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Awesome, your dad did a great job!! Nice ochids :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.