Help - red spots on my Confederate Jasmine

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

See photos please...not the best pics but you get the idea. Is this something harmful to my plant that's finally after 4 years putting on some decent growth? If yes...please tell me how to help it - w/o use of harmful chemicals....yeah I don't ask for much...do I?

Thumbnail by Chantell Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Bump

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chantell maybe try the pest and disease forum? It might be rust? I've never seen it before

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell, not sure how far you are from Merrifield Garden Center. You can take a plant sample there and have them take a look. Their people at the information desk are very knowledgeable. Good luck.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Good ideas - thank you both!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My crabapple gets a 'rust' and this does look something like that. Is there anything more in the underside? I am leaning to it being a fungus of some kind.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

hmmm, I'll have to check - Sally. Need to go post it on that other forum a well. Vossner asked if we'd had a lot of rain...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell -- Is it hardy here, or do you take it in for the winter?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hardy here, happy! I can provide you a list of smelly goods that are hardy here...the only issue is going to be most I can tell you about require sun to provide blooms.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have sun on my patio so can do some containers -- will this work in a container?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm I don't see why it wouldn't. I only have 2 (maybe 3) cold hardy jasmines - the rest I grow are in pots that I over winter indoors. Course they don't look so perky come March but bounce right back once outside for a few weeks.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Chantell, Just saw your post and thought maybe I could add more confusion to your already confusing problem.

Jasmine, if the weather has been warm and moist will get a blight, sometimes called flower blight, and sometimes called Southern Blight. You may want go google that and see what it says of if you can find a picture

Also, I found this among my Jasmine info.

Fungi : Leaf Spots

Leaf spots are caused by fungi or bacteria. Brown or black spots and patches may be either ragged or circular, with a water soaked or yellow-edged appearance. Insects, rain, dirty garden tools, or even people can help its spread.

Prevention and Control: Remove infected leaves when the plant is dry. Leaves that collect around the base of the plant should be raked up and disposed of. Avoid overhead irrigation if possible; water should be directed at soil level. For fungal leaf spots, use a recommended fungicide according to label directions.

It is really amazing the Confederate would have problems, it is such a great plant to grow outside and requires such a small amount of care except pruning regularly. I have none here because it is not hardy for me.
Hope this helps, my friend. Stay well and keep in touch. JB

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

JB - I ALWAYS welcome your insight! My jasmine is beautiful now and FULL of blooms...the red splotches resolved themselves....odd eh?

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Not surprising because I am sure it was all weather related. I wondered how they were doing now. Mine are full of buds and the yellow leaves are a pretty green now. This is their "happy" time...and when they bloom, it is my happy time. UMMMMMMMMMm...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amen, JB...amen! I've had this plant for 6 years...THIS is the first year that I've had SO many blooms...and she just keeps on going!! I think the issue was light related regarding lack of blooms previous years. The huge tree/shrub I'd planted her by and grown over her. Last year - I kept watch and kept pulling out her vines and training them up a small trellis - now, as I said, she's covered...such a pretty scent!! I love it! I'm surprised with you in 7a that you don't have any jasmines that are hardy for you. I think I have 3 - Confederate, Poets (PF state 8A but has done just fine for me in 7A for both the Poets and Confederate), and Stephan's Jasmine

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Chantell, I have my doubts about the actual Zone I am in. The new zone came out a few months ago and here I am.
I know it goes as low is 10 deg. and that would just kill them. I can not stand to see them freeze, I get pain just cutting them. What nutty old broad I am. I keep thinking I am hurting them when I cut them. LOL. I would only have a field to put them in. I have no garden per say. No protection. JB

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh to have a large area to plant in, JB. I'm in a townhouse and believe me, use every square inch of 'yard.' I eradicated ALL grass years ago - it's border to border plants...LOL And I love it. You're not nutty - I've actually had those type thoughts but I think if you're doing it in a manner which is still respecting nature - well I think we're ok. Does that make sense?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.