show me your best coleus design or container

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Smilebox is so much easier for me. Picasa albums dont open in a link unless the viewer uses a google password.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm glad so many of you posted pictures of your coleus containers for me. There are some beautiful combo's. Some of my coleus are healthy but slow growing. They have been fed but seem to be at a stand still.

I see so many beautiful coleus here and have never tried them from seed - are they easy or not worth the effort. Plus I don't want the usual mix that is generally sold. Other than Rosy Dawns where is the best place to order for next year?

Please continue to show me your coleus combos - in pots or beds.
Kathy

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Kathy, I grew some Rainbow Mix from seed earlier this year and was disappointed. VERY slow growing and the seed pkg yielded almost all the same variety (maroon with wide green edge - see back scraggly BloomMaster planter).

I'm also growing "Chocolate Mint" from seed as I like that variety & couldn't find it as a plant this year. Also slow growing, after 3 mos. it's only baby plants as shown in the front two 6" planters. At least they'll be large enough by winter to take cuttings for next year (hopefully). ;)

Denise

Thumbnail by denisemb
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Gebhart Greenhouse, http://www.gebhartgreenhouse.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=161&osCsid=41d7061941ef005f1ff4376b2f93fc4d
Gemini Gardens, (Badseed,aka Chele), http://www.facebook.com/GeminiGarden
That's two more I really like to buy from.
Tobee really likes Glasshouse Works, but they were the pits when I ordered from them several years ago.
These are a few suggestions.
Here in the South they also have what I call "pop-up" nurseries. Someone rents a vacant corner at a busy intersection and puts up a tent to protect shade plants. I can usually get 1' plants for less than $4. each. Here that happens in April.
These are just some suggestions.
When I traveled a lot I would check several nurseries.
Hope this helps.
I miss going to "Baker's Acre's" !
Sidney

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

thanks sidney! I forgot to check out Badseed!
Kathy

Mount Laurel, NJ

Yes, Speediebean, those PURPLE perilla's do self sow and come back next year. (Does that qualify for them being a perennail?). I live in colder climate than you (NJ), and mine came back and spread. I have the frilly purple ones, which I like. I'll try to post a picture now. I couldn't before as it would just time out. Middle left is the dark purple Perilla.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

This is my new 'jack of diamonds'. On these really hot days (all over 90), it's suffering a little in the sun. It gets sun from 9am to 2pm here. Next year I'm going to plant in less sun. (Upper right corner is 'careless love').

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful color flow in the first shot and fantastic color echoes in the second! Love both photos!

Mount Laurel, NJ

I think it's time to buy a new camers so I can do justice to my coleus! I think it's prettier than in this photo. I just can't seem to capture the real beauty with my old olympus. Time to buy that Nikon 5100 ! The magenta one in this container is 'flamingo'. Green one is 'pele' and the maroon/green one is 'saturn'. It gets about 2 hours of real early morn sun then the rest of the day it is in shade.

Mount Laurel, NJ

On the left is 'bonfire'. I like this one as it's quite red (getting sun 11am -2pm) but it sure is a slow grower. Maroon one is 'autumn' and the green one is 'pele' (which grows very fast!). 'pele' is in deep shade that never gets any direct sun here. I like it here because it brightens up a dark spot.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

That Pele lookes similar like my Electric Lime, it got 4 feet tall, have to pinch it all the time, but I like its color. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lovely everyone. I know what you mean about cameras.I have a new Canon and it doesnt capture the depth of color in the dark leaved coleus.

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Speedie what is the name of the bright red coleus in photos you posted July 10? Bright red,gorgeous.

Funny story about perilla magilla, saw it in office of a prospective client last November, receptionist had a dozen paper cups with rooted cuttings on her windowsill. When I complimented she gave me one and all eight of my plants at office, in pots and in the garden are from cuttings of that little plant. I didntknow it was perennial, I'll watch the one I have in garden.

Also there is another kind of perilla, beefsteak plant maybe it's called? Slight cinnamon scent, used in Asian cooking and found it growing in my lawn, probably from a bird. Got an ID from our local science center that has 18th century farm demonstration and it was growing wild by the chicken coops. Asked one of the reenactors wearing old timey clothes and she called over the plant guy from the science center. He called it perilla or shiso, a very different plant than magilla. And I know the shiso is either perennial or reseeds because it came back. It's in a very dry area where it can't invade too much, and no rambling roots like mint so I don't think it could get too invasive, you can just pull it up if it seeds where u don't want it.

Mount Laurel, NJ

scbuttercup, I think the 'perilla magilla' is the one with green, white, magenta. This one is an annual (in colder climates). It's the dark purple one that comes back the following year (self sows). This one of mine had more white than usual. Most have more magenta. It depends on light, temp, and soil.

Mount Laurel, NJ

The 'pele' is actually quite different from 'electric lime'. Just more proof of how badly I need that new Nikon camera. haha 'pele' has a thinner, frillier leaf and is sprinkled with maroon. I think less maroon when in deep shade. 'electric lime' is a heavier leaf that is not frilly (more slightly scalloped). and has no colors other than the green and yellow. It's interesting that a coleus I purchased as 'dappled apple' turned into 'electric lime' the next year. And my daughters 'butter cream' is getting sports that look like 'dappled apple'. Such interesting plants ! Here's another picture of 'pele' (OOPS, WRONG PICTURE!). I wish the pictures showed up bigger when we preview. I forgot what this coleus is, but it's not 'pele'.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2012 8:02 AM

Mount Laurel, NJ

ok found the right picture. This one is 'pele', or so it said, or was - haha. Interesting how these coleus not only change dramatically but how they sometimes get mis labeled by nurseries. One I bought was labeled 'giant fantasy', and it's not at all like the one RD has as that name. The 'giant fantasy' I bought is also very tiny and slow growing.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Do coleus change colors if in the sun, rather than in shade? Sorry for the questions, but I am pretty new to coleus.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes they do and the cuttings change over winter if tou grow them in the house.

The change in winter is quite dramatic. Some are totally unrecognizable in winter compared to the magic of sunshine.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I always label

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

coleuslover123
I love bonfire. That is beautiful. I need to search that one out. There are few coleus to choose from in my area. If you ever find one potted for sale at a nursery just me know I would love to get one. Jack of Diamonds is very nice too!

Kathy

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Wow, I had no idea, thanks for the info!

Ge, i mistakenly thought it was speediebean who posted the red coleus above on july 10, but it was you. Do you know the name of that bright red coleus you posted? Gorgeous.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The red coleus is Sedona. I have another Sedona that is more golden. The red one is in more sun.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the bronze colored sedona.The tip of the other plant is Kingwood Karnival.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Mount Laurel, NJ

'sedona' is incredible in it's variation, due to temp, sun and soil. All from one original plant, I have made cuttings that have turned into plants that are quite red, beauitful bronze, and one that has a LOT of yellow. I planted cuttings in the same place this year and they took on the same qualities. I took a cutting from the one with so much yellow and planted it over by the red one and it's turning red. Nice, fun plant! My daughter said she didn't like sedona very well because it's hard to survive over the winter and her's never takes on a good color, always looking dull bronze. That is very interesting because she has fantastic soil that has been conditioned by her mother in law for 50 years. My soil is not that great.

The darker red one at top of pic on right is 'red head'.

Thumbnail by coleuslover123 Thumbnail by coleuslover123

Sedona is a winner. Love how Redhead goes with it - perfect color echoes.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Arlene, I'm trying to root a few for you. One is Big Red Judy; another is Red Rufles. I need to keep a good eye on them. Also took cuttings from Inky Pink, Red Coral and Bonefish.

Thanks, Marcia. I'm sure I'll love them all. Hard not to love coleus.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Now—to be true to my word!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh WOW Coleuslover, Sedona is GORGEOUS!!! Darn, I could KICK myself now; we had them at work and I didn't get any!!!! < ='( OK, heading right now to my "gardening wish list" and adding Sedona to it for next year.

Marcia - not to worry! If they root it's wonderful. If they don't, or life gets too busy, that's fine as well.

We'll be back to the 90's next week so it's wonderfully relaxing to sit and watch the light rain. The coleus outside are just loving this!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Cathy166,
I would love to try any you may have rooted. I have things to trade but not on my trade list. That hasn't been updated in years. Let me know what you're looking for......if you have some to spare.

Sedona is BEAUTIFUL ! What a great combo. Would be a great combo for our Virginia Tech football fans.

Are you guys finding these coleus locally or by ordering? Maybe my area is to 'out of the way' to have nice local coleus.

Do you overwinter them by root cuttings or try to bring in the entire plants?
Kathy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I buy what I want from RosyDawn.They only grow coleus.I am picky about the colors and have not found any local coleus that were just waht I wanted.

I used to take cuttings in September to root and grow over winter. Last year was my last time doing that.Its just too hard at my age.

Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been pleased with my purchases from Rosy Dawn and from Color Farm. I also pick up plants from various nurseries I visit in NJ and PA. Most have come from friends and our local garden club plant sale. I take cuttings and winter them over in my basement under shop lights. For some of the slow growing ones, I'll bring in the entire plant if it's small. Bug control is a must, and I was pleased with results of using Bayer tree and shrub protect and feed. I put one small dose (about 1/4 tsp) in each 2 in potted plant, about a week after it was potted and I didn't have any bug problems this year. I had about 400 plants this year.

The one in the picture is 'saturn'. It is getting sun from about 10-2. This one looks nicer than the one I have on the porch in the shade.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is just beautiful

Two of the three coleus varieties that I have growing are from plants purchased last year in a six pack collection, have to see if I can find the tag. They are so easy to overwinter thru cuttings that they almost feel like perennials. I "picked up" three lovely tall coleus with bright pink leaf centers yesterday to add to my collection. It was in the landscaping in our subdivision's common area, very unusual color that I haven't seen around here. Will post pix when I'm not using iPad.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

luvin this one

Thumbnail by ge1836
Mount Laurel, NJ

Very nice ge1836! I don't have any of those in your colection. Is that apocolypse, or something like that, on the right? That is beautiful. Wow, it's tough wanting to collect all the different kinds. haha

I planted several around the base of my tree in front. It's not the best place to grow things, as the tree takes up all the water, but I like to have something there. It is quite shady on three sides, with the left side in picture, getting the most sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.