Super Moon, Solar Eclipse, Meteor Shower From Halley's Comet

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Starting tonight we are in for a real treat.
Get out the tripods, clean your camera lenses and get ready to capture pictures of a moon that's going to appear 15% larger than it usually does.
I am taking some of my information from the Huffington Post and 2 different moonrise/moonset charts. One for Jacksonville and one for Fort Myers.
For the best pictures, they can be taken close to moon rise, or moon set.
Friday MAY 4, 2012.
The MR time in Jax for tonight is 6:46PM, and MS is 6:00AM the following morning.
The MR in Fort Myers is 6:42PM and MS is 6:07AM the following morning.
Saturday May 5, 2012. Full moon is around 11:35PM
The MR time in Jax is 7:56PM, and MS is 6:51AM the following morning.
The MR in Fort Myers is 7:51PM and MS is 6:59AM the following morning.
Sunday May 6, 2012
The MR time in Jax is 9:06PM and 7:48AM the following morning.
The MR in Fort Myers is 9:00PM and MS is 7:57AM the following morning.

I will be scouting good shots today.
If you get good "moonshots" post them here.

We also get a small chance at seeing shooting stars. The Moon may be too bright
Eta Aquarid meteor shower is supposed to peak tonight, May, 4th and also tomorrow night. They will be visible around midnight tonight and tomorrow an hour or so later.

Quoting:
The best you can hope for is a diminished display, with faint meteors occasionally visible against a bright sky background. Or you might see a bright meteor or two streaking along in the supermoon’s glare, worth the wait.

Perigees occur because the moon's orbit around Earth is not a perfect circle. Instead, it's an ellipse in which the nearest point to Earth is about 31,000miles (50,000 kilometers) closer than the moon's farthest point (called apogee).

Hope you can enjoy this gift. After all the best things in life are free.
Sidney

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sidney thanks. I wish I had a good place to take pictures. Still not allowed to travel to far from home

Sandy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Sugar, Hope to see your shots here....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Thanks Dale,
I just came in from doing Friday errands. The moon was way up there. I actually think Sunday will be the best for getting really good moon shots as it will be dark as the moon rises.
Love your flowers Dale.
Sidney

Sunset 8:07 PM tonight here in Jax. I'm wondering if we'll get that harvest moon effect. Tomorrow's sunset is about the same time, moonrise shortly is shortly after 9PM.
Sidney

Jupiter, FL

Sugarweed , how did your pictures turn out ?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here are some of mine from Sunday morning. I didn't get anything to write home about on Saturday night and it was too cloudy here last night and this morning, I could not even see the moon at all.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia

Well I had zero luck, LOL!
I took one picture Saturday night and the batteries went dead. On Sunday the rain was worth not getting any pictures.
Ardesia, thanks for posting yours.
Sidney

I could not get out to a place to see the moon.

Jupiter, FL

Yes Ardesia,Thanks :) I saw it for a short while, but didn't even try to take a picture. Rain was much more important. :)

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I saw the moon every night it was so bright and beautiful, but I didn't take one single photo of it. I was out every night since it happened to be a weekend but had no camera with me. I should have because it was pretty clear here the whole weekend, guess I'm slacking.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Okay, I'm late to the party, but here's the best one I got.

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal

Great photo, that looks like a night shot. I could not seem to get a decent one at night. I was hoping for some tree foliage in the morning shots but nothing showed up. I need to take a photography course to learn how to do this right.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

My camera has limited zoom and manual settings, so it was challenging to get something other than a big blob of light.

ardesia you need a times exposure for a great night shot. There is a way wit digital but I have not figured out how to get that setting yet but I have taken firework pictures with a Manuel camera years ago

Ah yes, reading the manual always helps. LOL 300 some pages and for some reason they have the strangest names for the simplest processes.

I did try lots of different settings and that is the best I could come up with but I am embarrassed to say I did not record what settings I used for any of it. This was another pitiful attempt at night.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.