May pictures and chit chat

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Karen!

'Freckles' is a cutie. For me it grows like an oversized micro mini on relatively weak, almost trailing stems with very dark foliage. The flowers are purple and white with freckles down the throat and are produced in good numbers.

For me, the crowns aren't very long lived but the tuber keeps making new ones and even if I cut back everything to ground level, the plant will be back within a few weeks.

Oh, and it's super easy to propagate by cuttings.

Here's a picture from last year:

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Cool! It does have pretty dark foliage!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Green Goblin'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Plenty of buds - any day now...

Kohleria 'Bach' and Sinningia 'Seminole'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And Some actual blooms...

Sinningia 'Orange Zinger', bullata and 'California Gold' x leucotricha

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I like the third one so much! is it Pink inside and coral outside? Beautiful bloom ! Lou

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

That one does stand out Lou!! It looks like pink and coral to me too :)

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone!

Actually, the outside is a coral/salmon/pink-kind-of-color and the petals are a very soft lavender/pink. It's hard to tell from the picture as the colors are softer and slightly different in real life.

Olaf

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Ozark Rosy Cheeks' and Kohleria 'Bach'

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Seminole'. For some reason, this bud reminds me of a chrysalis...

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

One of the leftover sales plant from the club sale last weekend finally got its first blooms. There are either two plants, or a plant with a sucker . . . I'm going with two plants, 'cause one half has another pink bud to match the bloom on the light side . . (ooh, the "good" side, and the "dark" side). You can see (hopefully) that there are two separate crowns in there.

I've done some looking around of sports of Rebel's Splatter Kake, and from what I can find this could be Rebel's Zippy Zena . . . if that's one of the sports from RSP . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Cute as they can be, Nichole! :)

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Very nice Nichole.It looks like two plants to me.

Great pictures Olaf!

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Lynn!

Here are some more...

1: Eucodonia 'Tiny Tot'. New shoot, just breaking through the mix and already FUZZY! :)

2: Kohleria 'Bach'

3: Sinningia 'Seminole'

4: Sinningia 'Orange Zinger'

5: Sinningia 'Yma'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

The consensus among some from other gessie sites seem to think that the sport is Rebel's Night Breezes, which is a common sport of RSK . . . still cool, though.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

How many different sports of 'Rebel's Splatter Kake' are there?

Montgomery, AL

What a coincidence. At a plant sale today there was an AV called 'Rebels Iced Kake' that looked just like 'Rebel's Splatter Kake' to us. We couldn't decide if it was mislabeled or possible a sport?
Jamie

Jamie,
It is a separate registered cultivar by the same hybridizer.

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Just like alot of the Rob's varieties, it could be that a couple sports from RSK could have been registered too. At least, whoever ends up with these plants will have a couple of nice ones.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Peppermint', Sinningia 'Orange Zinger', 'Seminole' and 'California Gold' x leucotricha

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Montgomery, AL

Thanks for the answer to that Lynn and gorgeous, gorgeous photos Olaf!

Montgomery, AL

Blooming today is Nautilocayx forgettii. Does anyone know what crosses have been made using this?
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamiew
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

This is a stunner, Jamie! :)

I don't know that anyone has ever done any extensive hybridizing of the genus. The one cultivar that keeps popping up is 'Dekla' but that's N. villosus x melittifolius, which was registered by Frances Batcheller in 1976.

It's funny that the closely related genus Episcia (Nautilocalyx used to be part of Episcia and now contains what used to be non-stoloniferous Episcias, as far as I know) has been and still is subject to extensive hybridizing.

Looking at pictures of Nautilocalyx-species, there seems to be quite a bit of potential for stunning foliage plants, although some species have some very nice flowers to offer as well.

Oh, and here are some more pictures of Sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant' and 'Seminole'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Very pretty Jamie! Foliage and blooms!!

Olaf's apt. is in full bloom :) Nice pics everyone

Connie

Love that Nautilocayx!

Montgomery, AL

Olaf, you are a wealth of information! Maybe I can see if the pollen would fertilize an episcia? or just try to make self seeds. I love your Gabriel's horn and sport.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You are welcome, Jamie! :)

I have no idea whether or not an Episcia/Nautilocalyx cross will work. I just checked the phylogenetic tree of the Gesneriads and the closest relative of Nautilocalyx seems to be Chrysothemis and both Nautilocalyx and Chrysothemis are closely related to Paradrymonia.

Actually, turns out that Episcia isn't even that closely related to Nautilocalyx after all...

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

great photos everyone!!! I keep adding new names to my growing list. I love the Nautilocalyx. I'll have to get me one of those. I'm not too happy with epicia. They get so leggy, that I have to cut them and start again. They are under lights, gut I guess I should lengthen the time. Right now I've been busy checking and grooming all my violets. I was away for 10 days and they've been neglected. It's a lot of work. My few sinningia are blooming along with a few violets. Just been too busy to take pictures. I guess i should make some time.

Montgomery, AL

I'll freeze some pollen until I get flowers of Chrysothemis or Paradrymonia, both of which are tiny plants right now.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That sounds exciting! Chrysothemis could contribute yellow flowers... ;)

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos everyone!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Bach'

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My King's Ransom finally bloomed . . . turns out not to be King's Ransom . . . at least this one.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It's a pretty flower though...

Primulina tabacum, Kohleria 'Bach' and Sinningia 'California Gold' x leucotricha

Montgomery, AL

I feel your pain Nichole! I hate it when I grow from a leaf and it doesn't bloom true, especially since I've recently gotten rid of all my 'extras' and only kept 1 of each variety.
Olaf, that S.CC X leucotricha is lovely. Was that your own cross?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Jamie! I got the seeds from ebay. Don't remember the source. Could have been Thad.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Kohleria 'Lilla Gubben'

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nichole,

If that King's Ransom came from me, you can get more leaves to try anytime. Mine flowers pink and the blooms are enormous.

Earle

Thumbnail by EarleG
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

That's a nice one, Earle!

How do you Violet folks manage to grow more than one or two standards to size? When I first saw what "large standard" actually means, that was at a show, I could not believe it. Wow!

Well, here are some smaller Gesneriads... LOL

Gesneria pedicellaris before and after repotting, Sinningia 'Mighty Mouse' almost done filling a 6" pan, which only took a few months and my Jewel Orchid, Ludisia discolor, growing together with my micro mini Sinningias in an old fish tank... :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

There is a video on YouTube of the Vancouver African Violet & Gesneriad Society 2012 Show .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPcHkuwNpKw

It's absolutely worth watching!!! :)

Olaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.