May pictures and chit chat

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, after all those April showers, here are some May flowers!

Second picture: My three largest Sinningias getting ready to bloom. Clockwise from the back: Sinningia eumorpha "Saltao" x piresiana, 'Seminole' and 'California Gold' x leucotricha with a gallon jug for scale.

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

All I can say is WOW!! What a sight for May :)

Connie

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

very nice,Olaf

Thumbnail by jannich
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone!

Does the little mini Sinningia have a name, Jan? It's as cute as it can be! :)

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey Sis!!! I need to get an e-mail sent back to you :) Olaf...Sister Jan actually has one named after her...Jan's Surprise. Didn't know if you knew that or not. Thad hybridized it and I haven't seen the name anywhere yet. I do want to get one so please watch for it and let me know where to go. It's got a pretty special meaning to it for me ('cause it was named after a very special lady). I think I need to probably find two because I am sure Sister Lynn would want one too :::))))))

Connie

Montgomery, AL

I'm glad you put that gallon jug there. That's amazing. Are you using Miracle Grow (teasing)!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Connie, I didn't know that but I'll sure be on the lookout for it! :) The little one on the picture could very well be one of Thad's hybrids.

Jamie, I actually do use MiracleGro... LOL Why? Because it's cheap and widely available and it seems to do the job. I read somewhere that some of the long time Gessie-growers use MG-tomato fertilizer 1/4 strentgh at every watering and flush the mix with clear water every month or so. In Spring, I use MG-BloomBoost 1/4 strength until about mid June for plenty of flowers.

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

Well, I'll be picking up some MG on my next trip to Home Depot. I love how I learn so much on these forums. In that light, what the heck is this green, 'caterpillar-but' looking thing growing on this flower???

Thumbnail by jamiew
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Uh Jamie...looks like you got a seed pod growing there :) ???

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sure does look like a seed pod developing...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Micro mini Sinningias doing their thing... :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Montgomery, AL

I had tried pollinating AV's so much, with no success. So this is what a seed pod looks like?!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Check this here out, Jamie:

http://afk.slashhug.net/2011/12/my-first-steps-in-african-violet-hybridization/

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Great pictures everyone.And Sister Connie,of course I need the one named after Sister Jan and I also love that little orange mini!

Jamie,African violets are really pretty easy to hybridize.Just keep it simple.One tip is to wait until the blossom to be fertilized has been open about 3 days or so so it will be sticky and ready for pollination.Lots of people use brushes,etc.,but nothing works better than the back of your thumbnail.

Lynn

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I agree, Lynn. I either use my thumbnail or a wooden toothpick.

Kohleria 'Peridots Tom Thumb', Sinningia 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant', Sinningia speciosa 'Claire Roberts' and Kohleria 'Green Goblin'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The first two pictures are Sinningia 'California Gold' x leucotricha and the third is Kohleria 'Peridots Tom Thumb'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Saintpaulia 'Allegro Appalachian Trail', Sinningia 'Super Orange' and Sinningia 'Orange Zinger' (with S. 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant' in the foreground)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Looks like your plants are loving the new place!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Yes, they are! Thanks, Lynn! :)

Sinningia 'HCY's Coral Candy' x self, 'California Gold' x leucotricha, eumorpha "Saltao" x piresiana and 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow! What a sight your indoor plants must be. They are allo one just prettier than the other!! Lou

Montgomery, AL

That Gabriel's Horn Mutant is my favorite and you grow them all so well. I'd love to get that link to your flickr pictures again, if you don't mind. You should submit some pics to AVSA. They are asking for submissions and articles right now. I'd love to see an article about mini siningias, hint, hint...
Jamie

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I was wondering why no one was posting to the April thread...
Then realized y'all moved on!
LOL!!!

Great pics everyone!

Olaf... As they say... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Keep using the MG... I think it's working!
You got some real beauties there!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, everyone! :)

Lou, I will post some pictures.

Jamie, well, as soon as time permits, I might actually sit down and write a little essay on (mini) Sinningias. Who knows... :) Oh, and here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowerfreak/

Karen, I have been using MG for many years and I will stick with it! LOL The main reason for me to use this stuff in the first place is that I can get it at pretty much any hardware store.

Sinningia 'California Gold' x leucotricha has finally opened its first two flowers. I really like the combination of pastels with the contrasting markings.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Plants, plants, plants...

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And some more...

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I've been away for two weeks, visiting my son's family up in Staten Island, NY. My grandson, Joe & Dana got married. We had a wonderful time, and now I've been busy taking care of my gessies, and vioets. They didn't seem to suffer with me being gone. They are wicked and mat watered. Trays were empty of water and mats were dry, but once watered they plants soaked up the water. So far I haven't lost any. My few micro-mini sins are in a little terrarium I picked up at Wallyworld for $5. It is supposed to be used for beta fish, but it works perfectly for my little sins. I just cover the tip with cling wrap. I have so many wedding pics on camere, but I'll have to take some pics. I removed all blooms before I left, so have no flowers to look at.
I started to read all the posts, and I'lm enthralled at all the sinn. blooms. Most of them I've never heard of, and now I must get some more. LOL.
Well it's time to read some more posts and look at more pictures. Keep posting them!

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you were having a good time, Eileen! :)

The ability of many Gessies to survive "dry-spells" with little or no harm is one of the things that makes growing them so much fun in the first place!

Any clear container with a lid will do to house micro mini Sinningias. They really aren't picky. The most important thing is to keep them evenly moist, which normally isn't a problem in a sealed container.

I only have to water my micros once a month or even less. They are in my standard mix in an old fish tank. I have a layer of marble chips on the bottom of the tank and use this as kind of a pebble tray.

Kohleria 'Green Goblin', 'Peridots Tom Thumb', Streptocarpella 'Concord Blue' and 'Boysenberry Delight' and Sinningia schiffneri

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Your pictures are amazing! So healthy and beautiful. Lou

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Quote from jamiew :
Well, I'll be picking up some MG on my next trip to Home Depot. I love how I learn so much on these forums. In that light, what the heck is this green, 'caterpillar-but' looking thing growing on this flower???

Jamie said caterpillar but . . . ^_^

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Lou! :)

Well, you caught Jamie in the act, Nichole! LOL That's almost like this one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFN1-uqt2WA

Here are seedlings of Sinningia eumorpha "Saltao" and Sinningia cardinalis x eumorpha "Saltao" that I just separated.

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Primulina/Chirita tamiana

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

My tamiana opened a pod when I wasn't looking. Now I have an A.V. leaf that looks peppered LOL Your seedings are looking good Olaf.

Connie

Montgomery, AL

I relate to the video. My kids all say 'I'm gonna kick his butt' too. Is that Southern redneck or just common slang across the country? Bad mom. You got me Olaf.
And that seedpod does look just like a green caterpillar butt!! I looked on the opposite side to see if it's other half was sticking out. Fooled me.
Jamie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Connie!

That's a classic problem with Sinningias as well: The pod that was green the second before, suddenly is brown, dry and empty... LOL

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I went to clean off my A.V. leaf and saw where the pod scattered on a strep too. I need to get off as many as I can before they fall into my pots if they haven't already. S. tamianas will take over my collection LOL!!!

Jamie, I lived in MS for 14 plus years before I moved back home and I can't tell you what is Northern or Southern anymore. Just kinda blends all together for me LOL! I have pretty much lost my "southern accent" but I still say Miss, ma'am and hey along with other give aways so I guess I am my own mixture now :) I sent you one more personal e-mail when you get a chance. After that I think I have things straightened out. Thanks for your help!

Connie

Montgomery, AL

Hotty Toddy Connie! I went to Ole Miss for college and medical school in Jackson, MS, where I grew up. Where did you live in MS? My husband, from Greenwood, thinks they're kin to everyone there! I wonder if there's any growers in MS? TN, LA, and AL all have them.
Jamie

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Small town a little piece from Philadelphia. Worked in Meridian with headquarters in Jackson LOL!!

Connie

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

The chit chat is what I love about these monthly threads just as much as everybody's plants. :)

Here are some micro mini Sinningias:

A sprouting tuber of S. concinna, super slow growing seedlings of S. 'Star Eyes' x self and the "Mystery Micro" that I picked up at the annual show and sale...

The last picture is S. 'Mighty Mouse' taking over a 6" pan...

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And some more Sinningias:

S. araneosa, S. 'Ozark Rosy Cheeks, S. 'Orange Zinger' and S. 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant'

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are all so beautiful Olaf...
But oh my! I love that Gabriel's Horn!

My new mini I got in trade with someone here is getting ready to bloom soon!
(Freckles) Can't wait to see it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.