Italian Tomato's

Hutto, TX

My wife just got back from Italy. My daughter had business over there, and my wife tagged along, and when they finished up business they did a short tour of Italy. Anyway she brought me some tomato seeds back, and I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these varieties, or know anything about these varieties. She brought back the following: 1. Principe Borghese, 2. San Marzano Vesuvio2, 3. Ciliegia,Grappoli Da Inverno, and 4. Costoluto Florentino. I am growing 3 San Marzano plants now, but this looks like a different variety. I will try to grow them next year since it's too late for this year. Thanks in advance

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have grown Principe Borghese and am again this season. I grow them for making dried tomatoes but enjoy them in salads as well. I also have the Grappoli di Inverno but it failed last season so am trying again. It is supposed to be good for drying as well. Don't know anything about its flavor. Have grown other San Marzanos and liked them. They are good for paste.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'm growing Ciliegia, aka Ciliega this summer, a small red cherry, and have grown various San Marzanos and Principe Borghese in the past as well as all three of the Costolutos; Fiorentino,, Genovese and now I've forgotten the name of the third one. LOL

Costoluto in Italian means ribbed, so there's not much difference between the 3 Costolutos which were named for place names, as you can see, well you can see it for at least two of them. Sigh

Carolyn

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

I've grown Consoluto Genovese and Florentino and like them very much but others on this forum didn't care for the taste. They were small and flat very ribbed, good for salads but not for sandwiches (too small).

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Roxxanne, I've been a member here at DG for I think almost 14 years and I can't remember anyone talking about the taste in a negative way, although I'd agree to a point, rather, they grow them as one would paste tomatoes for sauce, although I think there are other tomato varieties that are much much better for taste which I think is important when making sauce.

They had a good reputation in the way past, I mean the Costolutos, but as with many varieties from Italy, over time they seem to have lost some of the traits they once had, and they aren't alone in that when you look at other similar varieties from Italy.

One other example that isn't what it once was is the variety Marmande from France.

Carolyn

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Costoluto Genovese last year but it was a terrible year in general with the drought so I don't have a valid opinion, sorry.

But Hornstrider, I want to add why don't you consider a fall planting of a few seed. In my experience fall tomatoes have less pests or problems. You can start your seeds at the end of this month or early June. They will grow well regardless of the killer temps. When cooler temps begin, your tomatoes will be blooming and ready to set. Worth a try with a few of those seed. Kristi

Hutto, TX

podster............Thanks for the advice. I have trouble w/ fall tomato's. In the past I have grown Cherokee Purple, Big Beef, Sungold, Sweet 100's, Celebrity, Stupice and Julliet. I have in the past planted out on July 15th, and was able for the most part keep the plants alive. The plants did well for me, and produced lots of fruit, but they did not taste as good. In fact I could not even eat the Sungolds, or Sweet 100"s........lots of fruit but inedible. Cherokee Purple's were pretty good, but the best tasting tomato to me was Julliet. If you let them turn deep red on the vine, and slice thin they are pretty darn good in a salad....... .Plus they are very prolific producers, and produce lots of fruit before the first freeze....... where most of the others mentioned are just starting to ripen when the cold weather hits, and I have to pick them green. I may try one or two you never know.......thanks for the comment

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.