Lily Blooms 2012

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted many lilies last fall. Asiatic Big Yellow is the first to bloom for me. The rest of the lilies are growing nicely and full of buds, so I'll be seeing more blooms soon.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

And I look forward to seeing them.

I had a look at my lilies in the fridge (60 plus) and they are sprouting. Time to get them in!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ditto here, Donna. They know when it's time to sprout, no matter their temp.

Lovely Cem. Thanks for getting the show going!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I can almost hear their little voices yelling - HEY! YOU! Get with the program!

This message was edited May 1, 2012 1:06 PM

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

You're welcome pollyk, and Donna, you're too funny. I got some lilies fom bleeks co-op a few weeks ago, which sat on my deck in the shade, and started growing in their bags. I finally finished planting the last few last week, with some Tete-a-Tete daffs to protect them. I'm sure they said "it's about time" LOL. They too have been growing rapidly.

Donna, I also wanted to say thanks again for the info about planting the lilies with mini daffs to protect them. I've had no rabbit damage so far. The fall planted lilies were planted with Narcissus Hawera, and the spring ones with Tete-a-Tete that I found in pots at a local nursery.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bravo!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Isnt it thrilling to see blooms. Polly and I are in the same zone so we wont have blooms for a month or so.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, I thrilled to see the lily blooms this year, and I'm excited that so far no critter damage to the lilies. This week I think Asiatic Commander in Chief will bloom next, and trumpet African Queen is not too far behind.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Asiatic Dolly Madison, LA Camelot, and LA Easter Bonnett will also bloom in the next week. This southern heat is really driving the lilies to bloom earlier this year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Asiatic Endless Love and LA Opening Night will not be left out. At the rate these liles are blooming, I won't have anything left to bloom in June or July.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Lovely Cem!. I'm so happy the daffodils worked for you.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Even just the foliage looks beautiful!

The daffodils definitely help with any vole/ mole problem, but I'm surprised they help deter rabbits. I have some eaten by rabbits this year, but they didn't have daffodils next to those.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I should have said! The repell rabbits too. I use them around tulips, which seem to be candy to rabbits.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Good news, Donna, thanks! Dang rabbits. I love them, so cute, but they can do a number on lilies.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

There were lilies I didn't see for five years because they were nipped EVERY YEAR! I had some nice surprises when I put daffs where i thought lilies might be. Like Jubileo, an asiatic and a gift from the lily garden. I hadn't seem it in seven or eight years.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Let me out of here! Lilies from the minifridge. All but one of the 68 survived - Casa Blanca, of all things.

The Silver Sunbursts, Regales, Regale album and Silk Road are in. This works!

This message was edited May 4, 2012 2:28 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna, you have a bounty of lilies, happy planting this spring ;~) Annette

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They look great Donna

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ready to go, for sure!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

No wonder I could hear their little shrieks!

Did anyone experience what I did with Casa Blanca? I originally had 12 from a terrific WFF offer, many, many years ago. I put them behind the bayberries in the front of my house. The scent at night was fantastic. Passers by would stop and exclaim - what is that? It was actually a combo of Casa Blanca and nicotiana alata, which opens at night.

When the bayberries got too tall several years later I dug up all of the and moved them around the yard. And one by one they started to fade. And now they are all gone. Of the 68 bulbs, Casablanca was the only one I lost. I had moved my last three to balcony pots last year, and they were pathetic. And the last bulb looks almost like it liquified.

Has anyone else experienced this? I switched to Crystal Blanca (from B&D). It's got a shorter stem that you don't have to stake and it's TOUGH! I dug three up in bloom at the house because they were burning in the sun. I put them in a pot indoors. Then I moved the pot outside. Even the burned ones completely opened.

Pic 1. Burned lilies on July 25, 2011

Pic 2. The same lilies on July 30

Hey, my kind of lily!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

My 1st this year (last year's 1st wasn't till 5-23).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Perhaps you remember a posting in which it was noted that Silk Road never seemed to produce additional bulbs? That the bulbs just got bigger and bigger? When I dug one of my Silk Roads up I found two bulblets the size of walnuts. Mind you, this was after many years of being in the ground, and the bilblets won't be blooming size for at least two years. But apparently it does reproduce.

Edited to say the size of walnuts, not almonds.

This message was edited May 7, 2012 6:45 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good to know

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

It has been has been a while since I have been able to post here, but I just took a few minutes to read through the new threads and "catch up." I love reading about everyone's garden/lily progress :-)

Like Jmorth I also have incredibly early lilies in my garden, and these were from bulbs planted this past fall! The first photo is Lilium pumilum on May 3 and the second is how they look today, May 7. You can see Allium 'Globemaster' beginning to open in the background, as well as Lilium regale and 'Invasion' inching up taller every day. For perspective, the alliums are about 3 feet tall right now. I am not used to taking photos so please be patient with me if they are substandard :-)

Donna, how interesting to see hear about your 'Silk Road' bulblets! Walnut sized sounds pretty large, so maybe they will bloom sooner than 2-3 years? I also loved seeing the photos of your bulbs in bags. I too could almost hear them begging to come out, LOL! Do you still grow 'Ariadne' and 'Rosepoint Lace' by any chance? How tall do they grow for you? I am asking because the new bulbs I put in last fall are coming up incredibly short--many less than a foot--but are currently forming buds. I wonder if this is normal or if I should trim off the buds to help them settle in.

Thumbnail by Ispahan Thumbnail by Ispahan
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Ispahan! You've been missed.

Oh, yes, I brought those too along for the ride.

Come to think of it, yes, they started life quite short years ago. And then they got taller. As a reference, here they are with Campanula Bernice, which grows about 20 inches for me. I am recreating the setting now.

Pic 1: with Rosepoint Lace

Pic 2: the closed bulb is Ariadne

And the red, by the way, is Hiawatha. It rocks!

Pic 3: Oh! I just found an open Ariadne with Bernice! Center of the picture.

Pic 4: I didn't remember this, but Ariadne, which I always think is delicate, is actually significantly taller than Rosepoint Lace when mature!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lily Beetles are in my zone.Lots of them inspite of spraying when lilies emerged in March. Guess they had already reached the adult stage and Bayer didnt have an effect. I just sprayed with Sevin.
This is just to say"Check your lilies" if you are in the beetle zones.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Commander - In - Chief.......the photos doesn't capture the color. It is so dark and rich!

Second one is name unknown......would love to know what it is. It is just so tropical looking!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Both are beautiful.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Soon!

Silver Sunburst.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Ceres and Sweet Loraine

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Makes me ache to see mine.

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

DonnaMack
Is the plant next to your Lily an Eryngium or Globe Thistle ?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Fleur_guy, the plant in Donna's beautiful photo is Allium christophii. Donna always has the most gorgeous plant combinations and photos!

Parma, OH(Zone 5b)

I guess I picked out the wrong suspect in the lineup. LOL

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Tiny Sensation, Lollipop, and Green Goddess

Thumbnail by jmorth Thumbnail by jmorth Thumbnail by jmorth
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

He's right! Allium christophii. I love to grow lilies with other plants.

Oh Ispahan! Sweet!

Nanny and Jmorth - lovely lilies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lilies are beautiful.I am so eager to see what blooms this season.

Green Goddess is cool!

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Electric Orange and Tiny Orange Sensation

Thumbnail by jmorth Thumbnail by jmorth
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like that Tiny series. Orange sensation looks great.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.