Lilies: Lily Blooms 2012, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: Lily Blooms 2012

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Lily Blooms 2012
DonnaMack wrote:
No wonder I could hear their little shrieks!

Did anyone experience what I did with Casa Blanca? I originally had 12 from a terrific WFF offer, many, many years ago. I put them behind the bayberries in the front of my house. The scent at night was fantastic. Passers by would stop and exclaim - what is that? It was actually a combo of Casa Blanca and nicotiana alata, which opens at night.

When the bayberries got too tall several years later I dug up all of the and moved them around the yard. And one by one they started to fade. And now they are all gone. Of the 68 bulbs, Casablanca was the only one I lost. I had moved my last three to balcony pots last year, and they were pathetic. And the last bulb looks almost like it liquified.

Has anyone else experienced this? I switched to Crystal Blanca (from B&D). It's got a shorter stem that you don't have to stake and it's TOUGH! I dug three up in bloom at the house because they were burning in the sun. I put them in a pot indoors. Then I moved the pot outside. Even the burned ones completely opened.

Pic 1. Burned lilies on July 25, 2011

Pic 2. The same lilies on July 30

Hey, my kind of lily!