Wood Hyacinth or English/Spanish Bluebell??

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have a small violet colored bulb that blooms about now. I got this from my mom and she just called them bluebells. Does anyone have an easy way to discern the difference between Hyacinthoides hispanica and H. non-scripta (which I think I've narrowed it down to). Multiplies freely and doesn't mind being moved anytime, even in full bloom. As always, thanks for any info.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have those freely strewn around my yard and beds. White and blue. I have always called them English bluebells.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Bonehead, There is an article today on DG that tells the difference between English and Spanish bluebells. I believe your's are Spanish.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Willow. I was a day late reading this but was able to search and find the article. I agree that these are most likely Spanish bluebells - the flowers grow in a circular manner around the stem. Fond memories of Mom's lilacs with these at their feet.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We had a row of lilacs down the path to the woodshed with lily's of the valley underneath.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I grew up in an apartment in the inner city, and the yard was a dirt patch (where the kids would play all kinds of games, so we loved it). However, while exploring the wider neighborhoods when I was about 10, I discovered an abandoned lot in an area to the north that used to have larger houses. In the back was an old overgrown garden, and there were bluebells like those everywhere under the overgrown trees and shrubbery. It was a magical place, and I went there often to play or read a book. My parents were both working at the time, so they had no idea where I went after school.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

How neat. You had your own 'Secret Garden'.
My bluebells all grow on one side of the stems so they must be English ones.
I can truly say this yard is starting to look pretty good.

This message was edited May 6, 2012 7:46 PM

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm glad your yard is looking good, Willow. I bet yours is too, bonehead. I'd love to see some current photos of how your beautiful new garden (around patio and firepit) plantings are filling in.

Twisp, WA

Why don't you dig up a few those for me next time you come over. I also have fond memories of those under the lilacs. (not sure how hardy they are.)

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

My DH's DD came over today and she just happened to have a bucket full of Spanish Bluebells that she had dug up at her BF's place and was taking over to her house. Now I have two huge clumps for my garden. There is quite a bit of difference in size. These are much bigger and heartier looking.

Seattle, WA

Isn't it sad? Some people actually think these are weeds!!! I say I have no other weeds with pretty flowers like these. They don't care where they grow, and are amongst the first I can pick and bring in the house. They seem to self propagate both by seed and bulb, and pretty much take over. But when they're done blooming you can just yank them out, and they'll be back next spring. What I think is cool is that there are a few white ones and a few pink ones. I would like to encourage these but never remember to isolate them from the blue ones before the flowers die off. Maybe next year I'll give them their own pots.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Like foxgloves, I think the dark and white ones crossbreed to get the light pink ones. I agree with you and I like them a lot. It surprised me that they last so long as cut flowers. I had to set the bouquet outside because of the smell. It is very nice but I'm allergic.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I don't think I've ever thought to bring them in as cut flowers. Must do that next season (I'm at the clean-up stage now).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.