cuttings to share?

(Zone 5a)

does anyone have any hydrangea smooth or big leaf thats hardy in zone 5 to share? i would like to try rooting some in my sunroom this year because im not working due to a bad neck injury and really need things to do to get me through the long winter we have here in New Hampshire,thank you and god bless.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh - I wish I could help you but if you read my post you will know that my newly planted hydrangeas have suffered while I was in Europe - we are having a terrible drought. I hope someone will come to your aid :-)

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have mopheads that I could share but I don't know for sure if they are hardy above zone 6. I know some books aren't really accurate with their information. So maybe you know if it would be hardy where you are. They of course are dormant now but they are starting to bud out. Don't know if this is the time to root cuttings or if it would be best to root them off the new growth. However, I'm sure I have some small ones rooted from last year. I just lay a low branch down and put a rock on it til it roots, lol. Real scientific, but it works!! Email me if you want one

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You can get good deals on hydrangeas at plantranch.net
Tell darin I sent you! =]

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Azalea, I root hydrangeas every year. My favorite is Nikko Blue to root, but the varigated blue roots easy too. I wait until new growth, then take off about4-6 inches, dip in rooting stuff and put in sand. Before you know it, OUILA, new plant. Really, about 3 weeks new growth comes on. Be glad to root some for anybody or to send cuttings when they come back out. Hope I get blooms this year - dumb me cut them back at the wrong time year before last and I got no blooms last year. Did get one or two puny little things in November.

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

You could also go to Hydrangea.com. They have lots of beauties there. Just thought I'd try to help. You may already know about it, but it is a great place! Good Luck!

Thanks, Traci S

Sharpsville, PA(Zone 5a)

Roz...thanks for the info on how to root up hydrangea! :)

I have I believe it is annebelle I could try getting you a rooting of i know it winters in zone 3-4 .e-mail me

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Some hydrangeas grow beautifully as far as Chicago - I know because I've seen them. I hope that my shrubs do well this season and I can send you cuttings Seedlady!! Here is a good link for the subject of hardiness!!

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/what_grows_where.html

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

Roz, I think you gave me the varigated hydrangea at the panhandle plant swap. Well, it had a couple of small blooms on it, it was beautiful. I put it in the ground about a month ago. Hope I can keep it going. Thanks so much.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Hi, Ginger, Glad you are enjoying the hydrangea. This is one of my favorite plants. All of mine are blooming and really pretty. Good to hear from you!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Roz, I was about to put on a question do hydrangeas root from cuttings. So glad to see your post. Now I need access to some of the fancy hydrangeas!!! 1 minute alone will do it. LOL

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone, I'm new, I just subscribed to DG yesterday. My eyes are red and sore from trying to take it all in. Must learn to pace myself, as I am so excited about all this wonderful information !!!! No one can take it all in a day LOL. I love the hydrangeas and EVERYTHING else !!!!!

About rooting hydrangeas, ................... If I take a 6 inch cutting and root it, how long does it take for it to be large enough to plant out in the yard, zone 6 - 7, ? Is there a better time of year to take cuttings ? How fast do hydrangeas grow ? We just got our own home now, so I can plant things and plan on being there in years to come to see them grow, I'm so excited. Guess that's why I have gone so ga ga about this whole website. I'm so eager to landscape my new home, but limited budget keeps me in check.

Thanks for any tips, PeggieK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.