Need help identifying plants (astilbe?)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi there. I hope everyone is enjoying the early spring!

Anyway, last week I was out taking pics of new Astilbe I added last summer. The problem is I think I have extra ones? I planted Younique Carmine, Younique Silvery Pink. Visions, and Montgomery. I also moved in 3 Fanal, 2 pale pink noids, and 1 tiny Pumila. I can tell where all those are in the pics, but then there are 3 of these red plants that look like Astilbe. The bed was really overgrown last year before I weeded and made room for all the Astilbe, and I don't have any closeup pics after weeding to compare to now.

Dose anyone have an idea what kind these might be? The foliage and stems are both quite red. In the first pic, there's a small Fanal cut off at the top left of the pic, so you can compare its color to the noids. It only has red stems, not foliage. Thanks for any help!

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I think all the ones with saw toothed edges in your photos are astilbe.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Just an update that I was an idiot. I'm pretty sure those three noid astilbes WERE the Fanal. They just had a lot redder leaves than I was able to find in any of my picture searches.

Thumbnail by Eleven

That new growth can be quite red, especially with the really sunny days we had in the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.