Black flies on Black Mission Fig Tree

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi-
I have a three year old Black Mission Fig tree. I got my first fig last year. It has not started to fruit yet, but it has leafed out. I just noticed it is swarming with little black flies. Anyone have any suggestions about what this is, and what I might do about it?

Thanks! - Patty

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Black Mission flies?

Pleasant Hill, CA(Zone 9b)

I guess... what do I do about them?

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

happygirl345,

Sorry - I couldn't resit poking fun at your problem. I apologize.

I have never had any black flies on my figs - they are probably more a dry weather insect. I think you should take a piece of the clear shipping tape and put it onto some that are on a leaf then pull it off with them stuck and put the tape onto a white card (do they still have index cards?)

Or you can take some photos of them and post them here. Some one will likely read it and comment when they know. (Unlike me who commented when I didn't know)

My son who lives in Oakland has a fig tree next door in a vacant lot. When he described it, it sounded to me like a black mission. I will ask if if that tree has black flies too, just so you could know if they are common to the bay area. He was telling me about the tree and complaining that the birds ate the figs before he could pick any. I think if the black flies were on the tree, he would have added them to his complaint.

Really, I think you should take the card with the taped-down flies to a good nursery in Walnut Creek or Concord - they will know.

Paul

This message was edited May 7, 2012 12:36 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.