Rare Desert Plant Seed

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 11)

I made an amazing find--- Growing in a wash, which is a weather-disturbed area here in the CA desert, I found a mature, flowering Jimson Weed (datura wrightii) with several seed pods. This is the "Sacred Datura" of the local Native Americans.It is rare, when I was young we used to find it, but I have not seen one thriving like this in 30 years.(Urbanization has destroyed it's habitat) It is growing with NO water source,on annual desert rainfall ONLY, and has about 20 fabulous white flowers on the bush, which is about 4 feet across. I have a few seeds already wild-harvested from this plant, and there will be more, as it has several green seed pods.
I plan on taking pictures next week, and will post them. If you are interested in exotic desert plants, contact me. K.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Is that the narcotic version?

Lucerne Valley, CA(Zone 8a)

This plant thrives locally where I live! It is literally everywhere! I love it.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lots of folks grow it here, too. I just harvested about 200 seeds this week. It grows in SOME fields around here, too.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

It is growing wild in our new location here in the high desert (4800 ft) of AZ. The monsoon rains have a bunch of them growing in the (only) month we have been here. The one near the front door has gone from zero to 5 ft spread in that time. The bees love them -- not a good thing next to the door, lol.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We have them along the so-far-still-dirt roads, & in some of the unplowed fields, in Menifee, CA.

Their is more than one kind, & they are ALL HIGHLY TOXIC!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura#Toxicity

"...All parts of Datura plants contain dangerous levels of the tropane alkaloids atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine which are classified as deliriants, or anticholinergics. There is a HIGH RISK of FATAL OVERDOSE amongst uninformed users, and many hospitalizations occur amongst recreational users who ingest the plant for its psychoactive effects...." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium#Toxicity

That is why people go out of their way to keep them from growing where their children & animals are!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You know Karen, I have them here on the farm, growing wild. And thanks to you I also have Mexican Petunia. Thanks sweetie. : - )
Are we going to see you again at the Spring RU?
I'm starting lots of Milkweed, still have some lantana, bananas and who knows what I'll find to thin out of my garden.
WIB~
SW

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Is there a Spring, 2014 RU?

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I have one of these in my back yard. I love it and am looking for plants with yellow and peach trumpet flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.