Native moss

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

What does anyone know about that moss that tends to grow in planters and anywhere it is dark and wet? It's soft and gets pretty thick, sometimes 1-2 inches, gets teeny little flowers, pulls out easily in clumps, doesn't seem to have much of a root system. Maybe it's a fungus rather than a moss? I go back and forth about pulling it out or just letting it be. I think this may be the same moss that folks wage war with in lawns.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I have had a lot of different mosses. I generally take as much as possible off when I weed in the spring and then add either compost or garden soil to surpress it for awhile. I like moss, it is free green stuff, native and I like the old look it gives to pots and rocks and such.

Lake Stevens, WA

I have read that moss likes acid soil so if you add a bit of lime it slows the growth. If there is rodies and such maybe not a good thing to add lime.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not necessarily opposed to the moss, and if it is not in the way I just let it be. I can't for the life of me grow rhodies with any success, and have given up trying. And, as Willow notes, I do like it on my stumps and boulders.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.