Scapes already!!

Warners, NY

Seeds I planted outside in 1209 Fall seem to be forming tiny scapes---about four inches tall. They may be minor or middendorfs-----------I think.-------------------Weedy

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Hey, that's great weedy.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Awesome! You've got to be so excited! Can't wait to see what you get.

Warners, NY

The first scapes cause excitement and then some morning you find they are too numerous to count---------and then you start wondering if the big yellow seedlings are going to do their double act. They send up a scape from the base and then before it blooms another, sometimes smaller scape from the apex of the fan. I have a bunch of these that do this and it occurred to me that this was not a bad characteristic as the clumps are covered with flowers from about 28 May till 28 June by which time the summer bloomers will have kicked in. But if they get too crowded they only produce one scape from a fan and the other characteristic of these plants is very tight thick clumps. Some of the clumps have over twenty five fans----a friend of mine says I could take a border fork and pry off outside fans as it may take a back hoe to move the whole clump. I'm puzzled as to weather there. is any Lemon Lily in their background as Lemon Lily is almost as rhizomatous as old ditch lily

Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy Thumbnail by weedyseedy
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I found scapes yesterday on one of the very early species daylilies. I purchased it as Lemon Lily but it is not that. Believe it is Middendorf because it is more gold in color than lemon.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

It is a fun time of the year. Anticipation abounds. If checking on them sped up the process, my bloom season would be over ;-)

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

My first scape is on Kokomo Sunset which I bought from a local nursery. It is trademarked and patented and advertised as a very heavy rebloomer. I see that it is now pre-registered by Petit. I don't think he is the originator though. A company called Garden Debut is marketing it. Sooner Plant Farm indicates that they have over 5,000 plants of it for sale. Petit's picture on the registration looks just like the picture on Garden Debut.

Jamestown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yayyyy.. I found scapes on Dancing With Julie and So Lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.