Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Daylilies: Scapes already!!, 1 by weedyseedy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright weedyseedy

In reply to: Scapes already!!

Forum: Daylilies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Scapes already!!
weedyseedy wrote:
The first scapes cause excitement and then some morning you find they are too numerous to count---------and then you start wondering if the big yellow seedlings are going to do their double act. They send up a scape from the base and then before it blooms another, sometimes smaller scape from the apex of the fan. I have a bunch of these that do this and it occurred to me that this was not a bad characteristic as the clumps are covered with flowers from about 28 May till 28 June by which time the summer bloomers will have kicked in. But if they get too crowded they only produce one scape from a fan and the other characteristic of these plants is very tight thick clumps. Some of the clumps have over twenty five fans----a friend of mine says I could take a border fork and pry off outside fans as it may take a back hoe to move the whole clump. I'm puzzled as to weather there. is any Lemon Lily in their background as Lemon Lily is almost as rhizomatous as old ditch lily