For Discouraged Poppy Growers!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We are having a January thaw and I checked my annual poppies,still there in the 2 leaf stage. I am dreaming of some blacks and lavenders.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was looking at mine 60 's two days , I have a couple of small ones , still there ,still hope..

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

We had a really warm weekend here, in the 70's both days, so I was happy to get some time to work in the garden doing some clean up.

I'm thrilled to say that the poppy seeds that I direct sowed in December have sprouted. These were seeds that I got from OSPS in 2011, and kept them in the freezer to keep them fresh. We're getting cool rainy weather over the next few days, so I hope they'll be fine. I'll post pics later.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are pictures of the poppy seedlings in the garden, that was taken today. I'm glad we have cooler weather coming over the next 10 days, with days in the 40-50's, and nights in the 20-30's.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I love pictures , thank you !!!
Cheers me up!!!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

You're welcome juhur7.

I forgot to add, the uprooted bulb in the midde picture has been replanted. Darn chipmunks, LOL. Annette

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yup Thats them. Did you sow them or are these volunteers?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Jo Ann, these were direct sown on December 22, based on what you recommended. I scraped the areas clean of pine straw mulch, and any bark or leaves that were in the area, and then just sprinkled the seeds on the dirt.

The seeds placed in the different areas are:

Antique Lavender
Antique Rose
Pepper Box mix
White Cloud

On January 2, I also direct sowed some Black Cloud seeds in front of my yellow cabbage rose, but those have not germinated yet. It's rainy here today, and cold over the next 10 days, so hopefully these will germinate as well. Annette

This message was edited Jan 14, 2013 9:03 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good Job

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, hopefully I'll get some blooms this year.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Annette, is that a hyacinth in the first pic?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Mike, yep that's Hyacinth L'Innocence. Good pick up ;~) They got planted in 2011, and I have a purple Hyacinth that's in the same bed that keeps coming up every year, that's been in for 5 years.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We inherited purple Hy's.They spread like mad. Wonderful scent when blooming.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Found this eye candy. Look at the height!! http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/perennial-and-biennial-seeds/romneya-coulteri/2119TM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

woah

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike that is one good looking poppy, is there a source for those seeds in the US?

I'm happy to report that the Black Cloud seeds that I direct sowed on January 2nd have germinated. This is exciting stuff. We had 3 straight days of rain this past week, and then a wintry mix on Thursday. We're warming up this weekend again, then back to chilly weather next week. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

these maybe ; ,http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3264/

I know I wasn't the one asked but,while I was looking also/
OKAY did not copy ,,, for seeds J L Hudson and Smart seeds

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 4:07 PM
I am going to have to try again mine seem to have failed, poppies must hate me!!!! lol

This message was edited Jan 19, 2013 6:15 PM

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

That tree poppy is hardy in zones 7-10; can live down to 10F. Guess it won't work here. Also called the California Tree Poppy

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl had a poppy that was just huge.She sent me seeds but mine didnt get as tall as hers.She is a zone south.

Juhur7: Dont consider your poppies a failure until Juns and they are no where to be found. I lost seeds from birds and washouts.There is still time to reseed but protect with some sort od mesh with stones to hold it down ,or milk bottles with bottoms cut out and staked into the ground so they dont blow away.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 6:08 AM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur7, no harm done. No one have all the answers. I believe that any question asked, weather direct or indirect it can be answered by anyone that have the answer or something close to it. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You would think they would grow here. too much clay, too many things that eat them..I will eventually build up a special place and grow them .
I am impatient often, when it comes to the work and effort it entails . me being me ..
My white seedling is still alive though ,thread stray from another(you know though)lol

Ranburne, AL(Zone 7b)

I can pay postage for any poppy Sav .Please dmail or pprice256@gmail.com

Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

Hello Guys,
I'm trying to germinate some Alpine poppy seeds.
From pictures they seem so beautiful. I can't seem
to get them to germinate. Should I perhaps put them in
the freezer for a few weeks like one would do with alpine strawberry seeds?
Any particular trick to germinating poppy seeds in general? This is my first go at it..

They generally need a good freeze to germinate. I sow mine in the fall so they get a good one over winter. Or now I have some in flats on the back porch where we are still below freezing. Some need ups and downs (cold, warm, cold, warm) like a typical spring to germinate.

Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

Well I will try the ol' in the freezer trick for a few weeks and see if that helps.

Tank you Oberon.

My pleasure

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.