For Discouraged Poppy Growers!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have tried many years to get some Oriental Poppies from seed to grow in my garden. Last year, I broke down and bought some O. Poppies. Then, we had a hydrant put in and the entire garden was destroyed. So, all last summer, I let the garden "go" as I wanted to see what survived from the roots. This late winter, I pulled weeds in the garden and noticed some "rough, frilly" looking leaves and thought it might be Oriental Poppies; as I have never had O. P and did not know for sure what the leaves look like. I gently weeded around them and watched with curiosity and anticipation. Two days ago, I pulled them up as they turned out to be thistles!! And, they already had some pretty long roots. :( Ha! Oh well.

I do "think" I have a few Oriental Poppies that came up from seed I had planted two years ago. I don't know what color they will be.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder, all is not lost. I can share some of my extra O/P when they go dormant this summer. Just D-Mail me if you are intrested. Mike

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I know this from experience - they look similar, but poppies are soft and thistles are prickly! I once let a lot of thistles grow, thinking thsy were poppies!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, Cait, so glad I am not the only one that grew thistles!!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Update:
My husband is the one that got me really interested in Oriental Poppies. He saw them in a local yard and was quite impressed. He came home and talked to me about them, so I have tried to grow them since then. That was about 20 years ago.

I try every year to Winter Sow them with Great Success. But, by fall, which is when I plant my biennials/perennials into my garden, they usually died off. I Did get a few to make it this year and did plant them in the garden in the fall. But, most died before transplant time.

This past Spring, my husband became more interested in my Oriental Poppy endeavor. He built a raised bed, with great soil and good drainage. He planted about four different types of O.P.--what ever seed I had and put a marker by each different plant. Oriental Poppies grew like absolute weeds! Unfortunately the information on the markers faded, and we didn't know which poppy was which. So, we are waiting until they bloom this spring to transplant. Surely, we can get some to transplant. Nonetheless, I finally have some Oriental Poppy plants!

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

O.poppies will die off after blooming and then come back in the fall...

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

My O. Poppies that germinated in the window box basically stayed green all season--they became ratty-but stayed rather green. None bloomed this year. I am thinking they don't bloom the first year.
Does one have to dead head them to get them to bloom in the fall? Since I have never been able to grow the O.P., I don't know much about their habit. I did not know they re-bloom.
Edited to say they germinated in the "raised bed" not a "window box".

This message was edited Dec 30, 2012 12:15 PM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder, I know for sure that they dont rebloom here in Z:5. I have some of the super poppies for about three years now that is reported to rebloom. I am guessing that it may happen in a warmer climate.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Mine don't rebloom either but they do start sending fresh shoots in the fall -- not that it does them much good. Just too late here.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Here's a picture of my new Oriental Poppies that were planted in the raised bed. Not much care was given to these seeds/seedlings/plants: ocassional water.

Thumbnail by birder17
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Birder that's going to be loaded with blooms come spring

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I hope so. I also Hope I will be able to move these flowers into other gardens. I think that's suppose t/b in the fall while they are dormant. I should have some to share, don't you think???

I will have to take a picture!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I think! They usually start going dormant around here in August.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Birder,thats a lot of poppies.What a nice bed.
Orientals do go dormant .By mid summer they look dead.Thats the time to move them.After they establish to new beds you will see growth.Thats the "winter crown" it stays green all winter.
In spring another growth phase will bring on the bloom stalks.
Give each plant plenty of room when transplanting.
Dont be surprised if the original bed sprouts some newbies.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

"Winter crown stays green" Hmmm, didn't know that.
How far apart to re-plant? 36 inches? Or closer?
Thanks all.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

If you want a big poppy area I would plant 3 in a triangle 20 inches apart.
These are too close together but they just cant be moved at least by me.
ooops
try this one

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind next August. Thanks for the pics.

Is that a Lilium speciosum var. rubrum on the left in the first picture?? It sure is growing straight so close to your house. Mine really reach for the sun and are at an angle from the house.

Yeah. And what are the darker leaves in front of the poppies? Part of the poppy plants?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

#1, I think those are a campanula thats spreading like wildfire"rapunculoides".I will never plant this again.
Here is a different view of that area taken last year
#2 is that row of lilies Longeflorums I believe. pix was taken in '10

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 5:20 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year everyone, and best of luck with your gardens for 2013.

Jo Ann, your garden pictures are gorgeous. What a treat to view them today, when it's cold and rainy here.

Birder, I'm glad you've finally got a beautiful bed of poppies growing. I did direct sow some poppies last weekend, and I've got my fingers crossed that I'll see some poppy babies soon. Annette

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of my annuals are already up. Will take a pic when I go out today. Very cold 13°f right now. My lilies are leaning towards the sun also. Look at the tall ones in the background.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB

Mike, what are the tall purple lilies?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Oberon, I have the name here somewhere. I got them (I believe) from Brecks a few yrs ago. When I come across that info I will pass it on.

Havelock, Canada

Colour me stupid but I didn't think that poppies could be transplanted easily. They don't like to be disturbed. I did have success when I wintersowed some. I thought that they might be tougher from the wintersowing??

Is there anyone here that can enlighten me? It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Elaine and Otis

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I transplant Oriental Poppies when they are dormant in late summer.I never had a problem unless its regrowth from pieces of roots left behind.

Annual poppies are not easy to transplant.I oversow and have to thin out the teeny weenies in spring.

Havelock, Canada

Thanks for the explanation. I love poppies and just can't get enough of them. I am going to WS many more of them this month.

Elaine and Otis

This is Otis

Thumbnail by Procrastinator

I have transplanted orientals in the spring. Yes, it isn't the best time but I didn't know that. Talk about dumb. Anyone, many of them 'took.' I suspect our cool temps and moist air may have helped. I am right now trying to irradicate one of them with more or less success. Those roots go deep and sturdy. I wanted to plant (and DID plant SplishSplash, a geranium bush there as I got tired of how ratty orientals look when they are done blooming. Might make an interesting combo if I let the orientals grow around the geranium. I have also sown annuals in flats and moved to 6-paks, and thence to the garden with good success.

PS. Otis is adorable.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2013 7:20 AM

Havelock, Canada

Otis says, "Thanks."

Elaine and Otis

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Mike, my lilies pull away from the house further than that! The stems last year were about an inch and a half around at the bottom. They are big--about 4 to 5 feet tall--but they lean out so don't look as tall.

ge: thanks for the pics, you too Mike. Otis is a cutey!

I "have" successfully transplanted annual poppies in early spring: big, deep clumps of soil along with the poppies. I have the hole ready to put the poppies in before I dig them up. I get so many annuals, I don't worry if they don't make it. They have to be thinned A Lot anyway.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Procrastinator, Otis is a cutie, or should I say handsome one. LOL! I have also moved orientals in the spring. I bought many from Gracefulgardens that I also planted in the spring. Some of which did bloom the first year. I must add that Amanda at GG is such a sweet lady to do business with. Also a great source for delphiniums and many other annuals and perennials at unbelievable prices. All my poppy annuals that germinated back in November was not visible when I snap a pic yesterday. Looking forward to spring! Mike

Havelock, Canada

I would think the secret to moving them in the spring is getting a good clump with as much original soil as possible.

Since I live in Ontario, Canada, I am not familiar with GG. I do love my delphiniums though. I am dedicating more of my gardens to Delphs this spring. I have several seeds that need to be WSed. I think they are one of my very favourite flowers. I love the fact that you can get two blooms off them if you cut the spent flowers down after the first flowering.

Thanks for all the lovely compliments about Otis. He is my miracle dog. I am not sure if any of you are familiar with eweed but two of his beautiful goldens are his Mama and Papa. Between e-weeds generosity and Mrs. Colla's sponsorship, he managed to get flown to Toronto and we picked him up 5 years ago this month. Beautiful story and I will always be grateful.

Anyway - Happy Gardening

Hugs Elaine and Otis

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Came across these seeds. Only bought three daylilies from them about two Decembers ago. One bloomed correct the other two that was suppose to be the same both turned out to be unknown. Showing some unusual seeds here. http://www.hirts.com/Poppy-Seeds/b/2384215011?field_availability=-1&field_browse=2384215011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=2384215011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Interesting link, thank you, I fit the thread title..lol Maybe i will be luckier this season, I had Giant Red and Royal Wedding growing , right now they are under a foot of snow... we will see later...Lost some Miss Piggy under flood waters a few years ago , My Banana Palm also.. oh well...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Royal Wedding and its vigorous. Planted small MissPiggy last spring ,out of 6 plants only 2 survived.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 8:17 AM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have ordered from Graceful Gardens. Their packaging was superb.

I have lots of annual poppies about an inch tall right now. Larkspur is even taller.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love my Orientals.This is Royal Wedding I have a June 3 date on the photo

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Those poppies look downright 'angelic' especially the last two pictures. Cute bears! It's always nice to see pictures of flowers in January!
Edited to correct typo.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2013 11:18 AM

Havelock, Canada

Oh my So pretty!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Indeed always nice to see !! well I will be hoping...

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

JoAnn lovely pics.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.