Can you identify these two plants for me?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Things are coming up in my inherited shady yard. One is a perennial that somehow looks familiar but I can't identify, and the second is a short suckering shrub with tiny little thorns (ouch!)

I actually got rid of the ditchlilies that everyone was so kind about identifying, my next door neighbor was thrilled to take at least 20 of my hostas, and a woman with a huge house by the river wants my lily of the valley. It's so nice to find someone who wants them, raher than throwing them in the trash.

Here is the plant and the shrub. Many thanks for any ideas (the previous owner doesn't know!!!)

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

#1 appears to be Anemone sylvestris.
#2 is a Ribes of some sort.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I am so impressed by your identifying the ribes. I had no clue. It appears to be a ribes - possibly sanguineum.

Now I understand why the other was familiar. I grow anemone x hybrida Honorine Jobert, Wirbelwind and tomentosum popped up in my old garden.

Thank you altagardener!

Donna

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Donna, the first plant might also be masterwort (astrantia).

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I actually have 3 ribes, and they are all in bloom now. I never would have put them in, but they have a quiet charm.

And yes, I see the astrantia resemblance. I'll let you both know when it blooms, which it will in any case.

Thank you!

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

#1 reminds me of both Astrantia and Geranium maculatum

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

How funny. My first thought was geranium. I only have a few, and I compared them. Hardy geraniums are new for me. A fellow DG'er insisted on giving them to me in exchange for some lilies. I fell in love, and actually started reading books about them.

It's fun to have a mystery plant that isn't a weed!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's blooming with lovely little pink flowers! I love it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

It's the Geranium. Mine are blooming now too.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I just googled wild geranium and you are absolutely right. What a great surprise. I really think it's lovely. It's pretty large, so I think I will figure out the best time to divide it, and spread it around the garden.

Thank you!

Donna

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

How pretty! They're blooming here, too, and I've found that the leaves will last well into summer if they don't get too hot or dry. They also reseed freely, but politely--no unruly masses of seedlings. They're best divided in the fall, but you have great soil and should be able to do it anytime. Some of mine were transplanted out of our woods in full bloom. That's the only time I could find them!

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

Forgot to add thanks for following up and letting us know what they turned out to be.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, dear Kneff, thank you for thanking me! I am so grateful to the people who are taking the time to help me identify plants from my new garden.

I like them so much that I have ordered seed so that I can grow these beauties. Oddly, I only have one, and it's huge, but it has never seeded.

Thank you again to everyone.

Donna

Fulton, MO

Congratulations, you have Gooseberries (photo on right)!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, what an eye. I have four gooseberry bushes altogether. And I just discovered gooseberry vines on the other side of the yard. They are pumping out those lovely green berries! I'm in heaven!

This message was edited May 9, 2012 5:30 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.