Question About Fall Vegetable Gardening In Central Florida.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have never attempted a Fall vegetable garden and was wondering when I should start seeds for it? What can be grown here in Central Florida (Zone 9a) in Fall?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomato and bell peppers are the most widely grown in winter. Plant tomato starts out in mid to late August, right up to Jan. Sept/Oct for sweet peppers.

Green beans planted in ground in Sept do well.

Cole crops, like cabbage, broccoli, Collard Green, Brussell Sprouts can be started indoors and set out in Oct-Nov.

Carrots and radish outside from seed in Nov.

Pumpkins and other winter squash can be started indoors and planted out in Sept.

I am sure there are others.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks! I'm trying to get a good plan for a fall garden, going to do some SFG beds, 4 - 4FT X 6FT beds.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You must have a big family....

I ususally grow 4 tomato plants and 10-12 peppers for myself (with plenty extra for family and friends).

This winter was so warm the peppers did badly, only one good pepper this season.

I am mostly into peaches. I have 7 hybrid trees I bought and one volunteer that showed up under my Florida Prince.

Last peach I bought cost $1.07 and it was a small sized one - yikes!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, not immediate - there are Myself, My Fiance and my always hungry teenaged Son, but want to try and grow a variety of veggies, enough for our own household and maybe some extra's for extended family. Also going to be learning how to can and preserve from my mom, so... hopefully, if all goes well, I'll have plenty to share ::)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have had extremely good luck with broccoli and greens during the winter. Tomatoes do well also if planted early enough to be picked before frost. Sweet potatoes did very well.
I have better luck with fall gardens than I do summer and its more pleassant to be out there weeding during the winter than heat of summer. Forgot to mention okra. Had tons one winter and still have some in freezer.

Good luck with your garden.

Bonnie

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Was thinking about okra, but I'm the only one in the house that eats it (one New Jersey Native Fiancee who just ain't got the hang of good ole southern grub , and one teenager whose tastes change with the wind it seems, psssht, kids these days!) so not sure if I should plant it or not, LOL

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Know what you mean. I'm orginally from CT. and had never eaten oka but now I love it fried and battered. I plant whatever I particularly like and freeze it in small bags.
Just my husb. and I but our kids, grandkids, greatgrands never refuse to take home some vegies.
Oh brussell sprouts are another one that did well last winter.

Bonnie

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Florida climates throw everything for a loop. I usually do a major planting after the last frost date - mid/late feb. Here in Orlando, we plant peas, beans, radishes, lettuce, tomatoes mustard/collard greens. Brocolli springs up from seeds I leave in the dirt each year around now.

Carrots are a pain unless you've got really well tilled soil. We've tried Kolrahbi, turnips and asparagus which were all busts.

if you're just starting out, stick to peas, beans, tomatoes, peppers and some "wild greens" types of lettuce/collard greens. They're the most forgiving. If you buy already grown plants and get them in the ground this W/E you should be pretty well on track.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive tried carrots several times, but it's one I've given up... along with peas. Seem to do pretty well with Tomatoes, Peppers and cucumbers tho!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

One really good thing to do with okra that hides the slime is pickle it. It's delicious!
Sidney

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Well, I've narrowed it down to Tomato, Pepper, Pole Beans, Peas and possibly okra (tho Ive been told that's a summer crop?). Family are not big lettuce eaters here, so thinking it probably wouldn't be worth the time to grow it because it would only go to waste.

Now, am planning to grow tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. Is this a good idea? would they be better off in raised beds, or does it make a difference?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Once temps don't go below 60º at night, tomato blossoms will not set. Might want to save your energy there until October.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Ive already got tomatoes that have begun to set fruit. I was wondering about the 5 gallon buckets for the Fall crop :) my current tomatoes have been in since end of beginning of March, and are currently already producing fruit...YAY!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.