Aleppo Seed Offer PROBLEM WITH SEEDS

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

For anyone that has received seeds from me, for Aleppo peppers, there is a problem with the purity of the seeds. I grew the peppers near some Fish peppers and it looks like a few of the Fish peppers made it into my Aleppo pepper store. Of the seedlings I started, a couple of the plants had some variegated leaves. That is a characteristic of the Fish pepper, not the Aleppo. If any of the plants you germinate from the seeds I sent have variegated leaves, then don't save seed from those plants as Aleppo. They are Fish peppers--which is also a decent pepper. If the seedlings are not variegated then they should be okay to save as Aleppo. Sorry for the inconvenience. On the bright side, you may have two new peppers instead of just one. : )

David

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Not a problem. If I understand you correctly They are mixed not crossed. Mine are not variegated.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Doug -- to the best of my knowledge the problem is only mixed seed, not crossed. My guess is a few of the Fish peppers scooted across the drying screen into the Aleppos.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Gotcha

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

"I grew the peppers near some Fish peppers" - confused, once again. lol Were they grown next to each other or sorted next to each other?

Pepper cross very easily. I isolate the ones I collect seeds from BUT the variegation would be a dead give away here. so thats easy enough.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

They were in different areas. I was typing and driving, they were in adjacent areas when drying. I'm not sure why I typed grew, I guess I was thinking about crossing. Seeds should be ok if plants aren't variegated.

"I was typing and driving" that wasnt what I was expecting to read. lol So you dried them near some Fish Pepper seeds. Gotcha.

Im growing Fish peppers for the first time this year, the plant itself is really pretty.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Smart phones are a hazard... worse than texting.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Fish peppers were on my list to grow but I never got around to getting the seed.

North Hills, CA

I have 3 plants about a foot tall.
No white streaks...

Thanks again for the seeds.

Got the seeds today. Looks like Im in with some good company. Thank you. Do you think its too late to start them here?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Since we stay warm into October, there should be plenty of time. Start them on a heat mat so you aren't waiting for germination.

I start everything on my heat mat.lol Thanks, maybe I'll put one in a pot and drag in the laundry room for the winter.

Columbus, OH

David, if I get a Fish pepper in my batch of seedlings, I look at it as a gift ;P

They are beautiful plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.