Official Spring 2012 AV&G Round Robin thread

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Dear Vadis, so sorry to ruin your expectations, I feel so bad about it. Your name was sitting in the back of my head but when I took that list from the box and saw Earle's address my hand just copied it without any brain activity at all! Will you forgive my numbness please? YOU DO BELONG HERE!!!!!!!!

Sanbornton, NH

Vadis, I will get the box off to you very quickly once it arrives. It was in PA early this morning. Since my mail deliveries are late in the day, I will have it out to you the morning after I receive it.

Nichole, weather here is slowly improving after 3 inches of rain earlier in the week. I am just happy that the nights are above 40 degrees. No new ice on the pond and the goldfish are out hunting for food all day. I will let you and Vadis know as soon as the box arrives.

Earle

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Poor Vadis. ((hugs)) At least you know you will still get it.

Worse could have happened, other than the box skipping a person. In a RR on another site, one of the RR boxes was sent to the correct street address, but incorrect zip code. It was just over a week till it got sorted out and delivered - over half the leaves had to be tossed.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 5:43 PM

Alum Bridge, WV

I expected a fullblown pity party and all I got was a great "sorry" and hugs and a reassurance. Not even a tear or two. Have you no heart???????????????

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

BooHoo Sob,sob,sob..........crying my eyes out ^_^ and I'm not even in this RR.Hope you get a great selection Vadis!

Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

I hate to break up the pity party! If the post office is to be believed, the box should arrive today. Mail delivery here is between 4:30 and 5:30 in the afternoon. Look for an update from me this evening.

Earle

Columbus, OH

Woo hoo!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Yay!

Sanbornton, NH

Hi everyone and Vadis (still feel left out?),

Well, the treasure trove arrived a little early and, since I started getting stuff ready early, I was able to go to the post office with it before it closed. It is on its way to Vadis and the confirmation number is 0311 2550 0003 7000 8801 if anyone needs to track it. What a collection of plants and leavesin that box! I feel like I took a lot out...but I also put a lot in. What fun!! Here is what I took:

Episcia 'Sarah Beth' (1 stolon, because someone said it was easy on the baggie)
AV Pink Wood Trail
Codonanthus 'Sunset'
AV 'Nancy Reagan'
AV 'Playful Spectrum'
Primulina 'lutea'
Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Psychodelic Sun' (Remember the '60's)
Episcia 'My Precious' (1 stolon)
Primulina tamiana
Begonia convolvulacea
AV 'Laser Celebration'
Streptocarpus 'Nightmare'
Alsobia 'Cygnet' (1 stolon)

Folks, you can count me in any time you want to do another one of these. Thanks a lot and especially to Nichole for riding herd on the whole thing.

Earle

Montgomery, AL

What a wonderful selection!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

You would think that after 24 hours, there would be more than "processed at sort facility"! I know, I'm impatient . . . I want Vadis to get that box asap . . .

Just out of curiosity . . . when in Fall does it start getting cold in your areas? I mean, cold as in 40's in the evenings, dipping sometimes into the high 30's?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Mid to late October for me...

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Jamie, isn't fun to learn what treats every player has found?

Nichole, they don't seem to hurry up the updates.... Usually it's nice here by the end of Oct. as well.

Vadis, you got me! I was about to put another box together for you, hehe. Hope to hear good news from you soon, have fun!

Sanbornton, NH

If the post office is to be believed, the box should get to Vadis today. This was what I was hoping for. As to the temperatures, Nichole, we can get our first frosts in September, so 40's at night is easy. Sometimes, in August even.

Earle

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Late August then, is about when we should plan the next RR!

I wish our mail was delivered so early in the morning . . . I live 2 blocks from the post office, but we don't get our mail 'til late afternoon.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 8:58 AM

Alum Bridge, WV

I called my Post Office at 8am and learned that THE BOX was there waiting for me. My dear wife of 49+ years fetched it (a 19 mile rt) and with great anticipation and the largest of smiles I set it on my desk while I ate breakfast (sausage, sweet pototoe slices, frozen mixed veggies, cheddar cheese all topped with an egg and done in my small cast iron skillet) and pondered THE BOX (giving it the honors I so well knew it deserved).
When, with proper ceremony, I opened it I was overwhelmed with packets of AV, a virtual storm of AVs, and what wasn't AV was Episcia.

Now that I no longer have a greenhouse, my growing area is limited so AVs are no longer permitted, and Episcia don't overwinter well in my gas heated home. There was such a large selection of Episcia, however, I took five, and a yellow-promise AV.

I took: Episcias "Jim's Canadian Sunset," "Pink Panther," lillacina, "Silver Sheen," and "Sarah Beth," probably for the reason Earle gave. I also too Chirita "Moonlight" Pet "Imperial Butterfly," and AV "Emerald Love." Also three Codonatanthus "Sunset" cuttings.

You guys do such a great job of packing (and culling) that I threw out only E. "La Solidad," and some assorted AV leaves. Incidently, the one of you who used such interesting and informative ids on the AVs almost made me want some. I say, almost.

I do want to thank you all for including an old fudddddi like me in this wonderful excercise of friendship and goodwill, and for putting up with what no one that isn't married to me should ever have to bear...Looking forward to the next time.

Sounds like you got some great plants Vadis! Episcias can be hard to overwinter.I usually dome some of mine and I wrap a stand with a shower curtain that I can close when it is really cold.

What are your favorite things to grow now?

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I will have you all know that I am clearing out about 85% of my shelf space next weekend, just so I can have room for the new plants that will be grown from the RR box! It does help alot that the club show/sale is next weekend.

Vadis - you're making me hungry! I'm glad you snuck out one of the AV's along with the episcia. If you want another pet, I have a couple of Shortnin' Bread that could use a new home . . . Have you tried Streps?

We will have another RR in the fall . . . once it cools off, it will be easier to zig-zag across country a little bit more . . . maybe we'll even have enough participants to have 2 boxes making the rounds!

Alum Bridge, WV

When I grew Episcias several years ago I put them in an empty fish tank and covered the whole thing with clear plastic and set the tank in a southerly facing window. Did well.

Yes, I do streps. Right now I've got a half dozen or so seedlings on my nursery shelf. I gave away the parents to people around here to stimulate interest in Gessies.

My favorites are the Sinningias, speciosas I do from seed and do not breed; minis I do breed (I've got a tiny pink trumpet that I've worked on for 10 years or so).

I also gave away a lot of seed when I had it - not so much any more. I don't like to trade seed because of impurities each way. I also don't do a lot of trades because I have so little to trade now that I am without a greenhouse.

Last year, on my porch, I dabbled in Ferns and Violas (the smelly kind) without a whole lot of success. This year I'm thinking of starting a Bonsai or two - is it foolish for someone my age to start Bonsai?

Age is just a number.At least that's what I tell myself LOL.
I think if Bonsai interests you,go for it! Dabbling and doing interesting things is what makes life more enjoyable.
I don't have very many Sinningias,but if I ever get some extras I will offer them to you for breeding.No trade necessary!

I have a fish tank downstairs that I used to keep Rex Begonias in.If I get busy and make some room,maybe I will bring it back up one day for Episcias.

Alum Bridge, WV

Box now on its way to Texas....Tracking number (or Nayional Debt) is 0308 1400 0000 8883 9877. Have fun.................

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Yay! I'm excited! I can't wait! ^_^

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Box is here! WooHoo!! Going thru things now . . . there are a few of the av leaves, and some of the episcia cuttings that are mushy, so I will take those out of the box before I put my contributions in, then send the box back out to Jamie tomorrow! This has been a great and fast Round Robin!!!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Tracking number from online: 9101150134711341665412

It says no info right now, but I put the shipping date for tomorrow, so we will see. I will drop the box off at the post office on the way to work in the morning.

Montgomery, AL

I hope you got my message to send me a small box. I'm looking forward to picking up something different though, because it's fun. The surprise is exciting.
Jamie

Montgomery, AL

Yeah, I got the box today and ya'll left lots of goodies for me too.
Here's my haul:
Hoyas bilobata and brevialata
Achimes Duet, Cattleya, Peach Blush
Codonatanthes Sunset
Episcia Kee Wee
Petrocosmea Shortin' Bread
A Jewel Orchid- kinda wet, soft but I'm going to see if it'll pull through.
AV's I don't have, don't really need, but will propagate anyway- I can't stop myself.
California Sunset, Emerald Love, Plenty of Pepper, Thunder Surprise, Blueberries n' Cream, Mac's Black Jack, Champagne Taste, Lyon's Lavendar Magic, Genetic Blush, Tranquility.

Thanks to everyone who made this a fun RR. Maybe we can do it again in the fall?

Jamie

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Absolutely!

^_^

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm ready for another one. Fall can't come quick enough!!!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

me too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.