controling crossvine

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

There is an open fence between the side yard of our little museum and the parking lot of the post office's rear entrance where all the trucks and other equipment are. There were 3 grape vines growing there, which looked very, very old. But my husband trimmed them and I fertilized to develop a better screen.
Boy did they start putting on the grapes! After waiting expectantly, they never got larger than a BB. It ends up they are a wild grape, called a 'possum grape here, lol.
So, I talked to the Cooperative Extension Agent and his assistant recommended crossvine. She said the nice part of growing it was that it is evergreen so the postal parking lot would be shielded from sight. Later I found out it is a/k/a the Trumpet Vine. Well! Now I'm not sure if I want it.
The pictures on google show it covering very well but doesn't appear to stick out very far from the fence or other support. That would be good because we have flower beds along the fence too, just not dependent on the fence for support. So my question is: do you think this is a good vine for me or would it be so deep that it would cover up the beds in front?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

No, cross vine is NO trumpet vine - two different vines.

Cross vine is Bignonia capreolata

Trumpet vine is Campsis radicans

Both behave differently, as Bignonia gets huge but does not spread like wildfire.

Campsis radicans gets huge and spreads like wildfire

Do a google search on the qualities of each plant to note the HUGE difference in these two vines.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

KayJones is correct. The other fact is Campsis will not be evergreen in our climates whereas Bignonia is (but barely noticeable if planted in among trees and other shrubs). Crossvine is quite a sight to see if grown across an arbor or similar support. Mine is under a climbing rose so I have to bend over to see the beautiful blooms.

Here is a picture of one of mine - this one is grown in a 20 gallon pot:

Thumbnail by KayJones

Well, I don't know what to do. Do you know of any other perennial vine that is evergreen besides English Ivy. I know I don't want that besides it has no ascertainable blooms.

Every county has a county Extension Agent, associated with a nearby university - you might call and talk to him/her. Also, ask at a grower's nursery - they are a wealth of information!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Trachelospermum jasminoides is evergreen. I can't remember if it's zone 7 or zone 8 though so definitely check before you buy it. My Passiflora 'White Wedding' is evergreen and I think it may be hardy in your area too. Plant Files lists it as herbaceous though so maybe in colder zones it would lose its leaves, here it certainly doesn't.

Yes, I will call the agent back. thanks for the tips; I will check them out. Unfortunately, my needs are so specific. I need an evergreen vine that will not "out" too far from the fence so I can keep it from overwhelming the garden bed.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Carolina Jasmine and tricolor Asian Jasmine.

yippee. I know them and love them. I should be able to get some cheaply here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.