Need Cactus ID, please!

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 11)

I was given a cutting of this large cactus last year. Looks like a GIANT peanut-cactus. It branches and spreads along the ground the same way. On April 1st, it gave me 7 8-inch blooms, white with green in the middle---fabulous! I am calling it April Fools Cactus, lol. Anyone know what this is? Thanks! Karen
Palm Desert, CA

Thumbnail by tchrkare Thumbnail by tchrkare
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That is an Echinopsis hybrid, but there are hundreds, so I could not even begin to guess which one it is

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I was thinking the same thing. Hey are either of you going to the Huntington gardens plant sale?
I'm going to go through the gardens the day before, I'll keep my eye out for your mystery cactus, I understand they have lots of Echinopis hybrids there.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

they have a lot of echinopsis hybrids, but at any one visit, you are lucky to see more than one blooming at a time

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I thought maybe since their's was blooming now I might get lucky and see one there that is also blooming now.
I lived in Southern California the first half of my life and never went to the gardens.
Now that I live 200 miles north, well it's what I asked for for my birthday, to go to Huntington gardens plant sale this year,
as a member.

Palm Desert, CA(Zone 11)

Thanks so much for the info on my cactus. It's still blooming! But this will probably be the last few flowers, as our summer heat is coming on strong. Have fun at the gardens, domehomedee. And palmbob, thanks again. K.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.