Gentiana acaulis

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I bought 3 of these beauties at the San Francisco botanical garden last week. Has anyone grown them in the Pacific NW? Thoughts? Recs? I love them, and I hope they thrive. They were only $7 each, but I hope they like my yard.....a lot.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Color is true blue---similar color to Lithodora 'Grace Ward'. I'm always in search of this color.

Lake Stevens, WA

I have one in a pot. Not blooming yet. I will get the name later and take a picture. This is the 2nd year for it. Wintered over like a champ in a big pot. I saw a few at the NW Flower and Garden Show. Should have gotten more, next year. There was a beautiful light blue and some other variations of the dark blue.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Another flower I really like that I don't see often is "Pasque Flower". Really pretty.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Had to look up Pasque flower. Pretty. Pulsatilla is the latin. Related to anemone. South Dakota state flower. Neat!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I bought 3 red pulsatilla today. I was surprised to come across them!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh good for you. Dont see them often. Wonder if they sell seeds? Will have to look.

Lake Stevens, WA

This is mine Gentlana Acaulis 'Holzman' When it blloms is a very deep blue. Been in the pot 2 years.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I've always thought of pulsatilla as growing in very dry, scree-like conditions. So beware any spot that it will get continually drenched. Like, go plant it in Globe, Ariz., and visit it once in awhile?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Put them in a strawberry jar. That's where I put my Lewsia.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

This is the pulsatilla. I planted it in a dry sunny spot where my yarrow thrives. I love the yellow on the inside.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, is that ever gorgeous!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love that color. Just got a coupon for Freddies, Fuchsias 3/$5. Have to get a few for a couple of baskets. My DD brought me a basket for Easter with mostly pansies. Yellow and purple, very pretty. I have hanging spaces on the front porch for three baskets. It's on the northside of the house. Perfect. I also have three pots that fit on the wrought iron bannister. That will be fun to do. It's been awhile since I've done containers.
should be 5/$3 sorry

This message was edited Apr 10, 2012 3:21 PM

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

And, Kosk, when your pulsatilla go to seed the pods are very jolly as well. I deadhead about 75% of them out but leave enough in for some interest. I think I lost my reddish one and only have the purple left - someone ate all the roots last spring in their primary spot - although still hoping the ones I moved included a red. We shall see... Here's a pic of my more-likely-than-not dead red - a bit different shade than yours.

Thumbnail by bonehead

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.