Need flower box recommendations

Brentwood, NY(Zone 6b)

My sister lives in White Plains, NY and has decided she wants to do a flower box this year and asked for recommendations. It will be on the E-NE side of the house, fairly shaded and she would prefer to just let the rain take care of watering for her. My first thought was Coleus but I suspect she'll want some actual flowering plants. Any suggestions? I have Coleus, Hostas, and Daylilies in the few shaded areas of my yard so I'm not sure what to tell her.

Thanks.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

If she adds some reconstituted water crystals (available at big box stores and nurseries) to the soil and she plants impatiens she would have infrequent watering to do.

These were in a ENE exposure.

Thumbnail by pirl
Brentwood, NY(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I'll let her know.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

If she wants to just leave it there with little attention, Heucheras will make her happy and will bloom. For constant blooms there are lots of annuals that she can put in. If she wants perennials, they will bloom only once or may re-bloom and Heucheras do very well. Also great with Heuchera and Coleus are Ipomeoa (Sweet Potato vine).

For that early sun exposure, she could also put in some Caladium bulbs. You cannot expect blooms, but the foliage is wonderful.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2012 7:59 PM

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Plumbago works well in the shade too, and tolerates neglect well. Just ask mine! =) They'll give her a pretty blue bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.