My delphiniums are up and growing - what next? Part Two!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

6 seedlings going fairly strong---thank you for the free seeds last year!. Lost several to dampening off, however. Which anti-fungal do you rec. to help me combat this problem when I try again next year?

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Is looking like I have 8 babies so far..still under lights sprouting, fingers are crossed. And thankyou soo much for the seed, will continue updates.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Never recd. any delphs in their free offer.
Been meaning to send for some seed, but other things seem to interfer.

Maxine

I have 18" of snow on the ground here, so am not getting too excited!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Maxine, what kind is #2? It is gorgeous!!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I was wrong previously about having 6 seedlings. I actually have 9 vigorous plants now from the free seeds sent by Dowdeswell's.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Carolina, I don't remember and don't know if I have the original order.
Lovely though, isn't it.
am wondering if any of my flowers have survived our winter as yes, we have a very nice snow cover, but their is also a layer of ice under it.
I could walk on the snow yesterday to turn the rain gauge over so we would know how much snow or rain we recd. last night.
started snowing around 6 pm and its too dark out now to see the amount we recd.
Poor robins, they just came in on Wed.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Last year I posted a reply to this thread and said I'd finally figured out how to deal with all pests. But this year I have a new one. Something is biting of the tips of the tiniest new leaves. Hopefully it is a mammal and Bobbex will take care of it. But might it be an insect? That will be trouble because the plants that are attacked are so tiny that great harm can be done before the insect dies.

TIA
LAS

Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Has anyone had experience putting coffee grounds on delphinium for the phosphorous? How much? How often?

TIA
LAS

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I use coffee grounds as soil conditioners for many plants since they are not acidic as many people believe. They help hold in moisture.

Thumbnail by pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The pH tester in the background above is a three way meter (moisture, pH and light) so it may be misleading to some but here is a close-up to show the coffee grounds lean a bit more to the alkaline side than the acid.

Thumbnail by pirl
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

I bought 3 pagan purple delphiniums from the same nursery at the same time this year. Two are tall and blooming fruitfully. One is half the height, has only one stalk. The flowers are smaller, and the leaves are all edged in brownish yellow. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

TIA
LAS

This message was edited Jun 20, 2013 7:07 PM

Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14 Thumbnail by LAS14
Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Is the soil the same in both locations?

And is the location both the same regarding sun and shade?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Yes, they're in the same bed, just feet apart.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Regarding my posting of June 20, might this be over-fertilizing? The only non-organic stuff I use is Bayer's Advanced Rose and Flower Care. Every 6 weeks when I make the rounds of my roses, I also put a light sprinkling on my delphs. The pagan purples would have been small 6 weeks ago. I can imagine accidentally dumping too much on. Would this be the symptoms?

TIA
LAS

Ouch!

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

"Ouch" ?????

Were you responding to my questions at the end of this thread?? Could you translate?

:-) LAS

Yes, too much Bayer!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

My Delphinium was growing crazy good this year then this happened ...I think it was from the early summer cool nights too much rain ??? My Larkspur did the same thing also this year. It looks like they were frost bitten But that was last year not this year ...

Thumbnail by huggergirl Thumbnail by huggergirl
Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

l think that might be mites. I've had good luck for the first time this year. (Finally decided for sure what the problem was last year.) The minute I see a curling leaf (curling forward around the edges) I spray heavily all around with insecticidal soap. At first I also cut off and disposed of the curled leaf, but I've experimented with leaving the leaf in place, and after spraying, there's no more problem.

For years I would read about mites, and the articles would give different treatment for different kinds. But, of course, I couldn't tell which kind of mite I had. And the treatments would involve miticides that I could only find available in expensive bulk. Then I found, last year, buried in an article.... " have found some success with insecticidal soap."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.