Making a miniature alpine garden

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a great link to a page about building your own miniature alpine garden. there are suggestions of what to grow too. i've got some great ideas for mine from this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/howto/backtobasics/miniature_alpine/pf_b_miniature_alpine.shtml

Oh Yes'I'm considering creating a "miniature setting" for my deck' Summers are hot and the deck should be perfect,any thoughts Lil?

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

if the summers hot you may want to put in some irrigation of some kind, the alpines will like it hot and sunny (most of them) but you'll have to keep them well-watered.

lil

A few years ago we had some paving slabs, some grit and spare bricks and we made a small alpine garden in full sun as the rockery we have is in shade.

All we did was use the paving slabs as a base (at various heights), edge the slabs with bricks, place the grit layer at the bottom and made up some alpine soil mix. The plants went in and were mulched with cotswold grit which is a light grey colour.

It was a good way to recycle the bits of rubble we had in the garden.

They lasted for 2 years until the cats broke them. If I do get round to making them again, I will add the cocktail sticks right away!

Thank you both,another project,beats housework though,lol' My deck is rectangular with descending landings(I designed,as steps are awkward shoveling snow) Plus,more room for containers too'

So warm still mid 70's today and my little unknown plants are blooming their pretty heads off' Their leaves are a grey-green,soft looking and the flower on one is magenta the other is a hot pink. They came up volunteer in the drive,gravel no soil and take the heat great. Hope to get seeds if I time it right,hope so'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.