Is loropetalum truly evergreen in zone 7a?

Arlington, VA(Zone 7a)

I've just discovered this shrub and love its deep purple/burgandy foliage for a foundation planting in front of some laurels. But some vendors say it is semi-evergreen. Has anyone grown this as an evergreen in zone 7a? If so, which cultivar?

If not, any ideas for something else that's purple or burgandy and evergreen? I already have nandinas and barberrys galore.

Many thanks!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It's evergreen in Atlanta and we used to be in zone 7 (now in zone 8?). Beware though: it is a fast grower so be prepared to prune or plant it where it can grow unfettered.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I do not grow this myself and have not seen if for sale in big box or nurseries around here,,, The two bushes that I have observed growing here in 7b zone have stayed evergreen for the past six winters. Can't say that the foliage color {purple} has been very noticeable or eyecatching as one would hope. Also, both bushes here are trimmed each year so the blooms aren't much to speak of either.

Would love to have a shrube like the one pictured in this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165629/?hl=lorapetalum

Thumbnail by coleup
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's evergreen throughout the state. I have it in both locations. We have left some in bush form and trained one to tree form.. I'll try to remember to take a pic. It does shed some leaves in the cold months but still looks good. There are cultivars of this shrub, some with very dark burgundy leaves and some with burgundy bottoms and green tops so you should make sure the leaf color is what you are looking for.

Temperanceville, VA(Zone 7a)

Deltaskye,

I planted one last fall that I bought from a nursery in the area and it stayed green all year and has erupted with beautiful blooms. The bush is only about 18" around right now but is supposed to grow to 6x6, which would be truly lovely. Of course having said all that, we had such a mild winter with NO nor'easters which do alot of damage here as we are about 5 miles from the Atlantic and 5 miles from the Chesapeake Bay. My plan was to baricade with a few hay bales until the bush gets bigger, but that wasn't necessary.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm not enamored with the green leaf one - after it blooms you just have a plain green shrub. The dark purple leaf forms have some pizzazz after the blooms. We bought the dwarf Purple Diamond but if it is dwarf I'd hate to see the giants. It was over 7 feet tall after 3 years in the ground with an equal spread. Thank goodness for loppers.

Here are some of them on one side of the house next to Mahonia and a five foot fence. This was after cutting them back.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.