Heidi Chronicles 2012 - A New Chapter Begins?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Having difficulty sleeping tonight. Overall I've been sleeping quite well lately, so whereas this was once a nightly occurrence it's now more of an anomaly, thankfully. Thought I would take a moment to answer a question from a while back.

That time when you guys were ribbing me about how some might have trouble believing whatever was happening at that moment, I want to 1st clarify that I was not at all upset nor did I take the comments badly. I really did think you were being facetious. Just out of curiosity I asked (at the time) for clarification as to which event seemed incredible.

Amanda, you asked if I sometimes wonder if people will doubt this or that - forgive me if I paraphrased badly, btw. I think I probably did to some extent in the early years of the thread. So much of what was happening in those days stretched even my own capacity to believe, but that seems so long ago now. Most of all I remember that in those days I was often most concerned as to how I would manage to articulate all of the incredible things I was observing. Realizing that I had a front row seat on events that few have the opportunity to observe, I wanted quite desperately to bring each and every one of you into that very circle where I sat watching the raccoons as they ate and interacted. I wanted, if at all possible, to give you the experience of actually being there, of hearing what I heard and seeing what I saw. Even as events were playing out before me, in my mind I was trying to imagine how I might go about describing this or that. At the time, that was my biggest concern.

I'm pretty sure I would have had concerns that this or that might seem too impossible to believe except that I had my camera out there with me and took copious pictures, especially of anything new or unusual if I could possibly get the shot. Were it not for the credibility afforded by the photos and later videos, I might have thought the whole thing too outrageous to be believable.

There was one time in all of this that stands out above all else as that moment when I thought to myself, "OMG! No one will EVER believe this. No one." That was the night when Bast, who had been gravely injured and for a time had only been able to drag herself around, suddenly and for the 1st time hoisted herself up into the air, found her balance, and began walking around on her front legs as though it were the most natural thing in the world. I will never forget that moment. I was positively dumbstruck, and, unable to believe what my own eyes were seeing, I could not imagine that anyone would ever believe me when I told that story.

I even tried desperately to get a photograph, but circumstances conspired against me. The camera malfunctioned. I took several pictures when the camera was not in the right mode. Everything went wrong. I actually did get 2 pictures, but they were not from the best angle. I needed to get the profile shot where her vertical alignment would be obvious, but all I managed were 2 photos (different nights) taken from the back as she was walking away. From that view, the photos were difficult to read. It was hard to tell if her hind legs are in the air or on the ground.

Luckily, when I told the story someone found a youtube video of a raccoon walking on its front legs just exactly as I described. (and I had been so certain that surely Bast must have been the only raccoon ever to do that.)

Anyhow, I just wanted to finally clear all of that disbelief stuff up and also answer your question - although the question was probably more rhetorical in nature. Sorry I just didn't have time to address it at the time.

Now to try sleeping again...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Cheryl - it was rhetorical - certainly people who are comfortable with creatures and bugs and birds wouldn't find it strange for you to be feeding racoons in the yard. I guess such things are commonplace in a way to me now and most people that know me wouldn't be surprised to hear some crazy story like that from me.

I understand the feeling of awe and wonder you must have as you sit there with them. I don't need photographs - probably no one following your thread does, but when you do post - pictures are the gravy. :)

No, it's keen and intense pain and some envy in there what I feel when I read your posts about patting Heidi on the head or having her stand up and touch your leg. It's just getting a bit closer to the unknown and untame. I had a moment like that last week when Billy ( my neighbor's goat) let me scratch his forehead for the very first time in over a year. Apparently goats don't like their heads to be touched because their eyes are such that they can see almost 360 degrees around (why they look so funny!) - serious prey animal adaptation, no?

Anyway - he has let me know over time that he DOES LOVE to have his head scratched right between his horns. Not the front of his horns on his face/forehead, but right there on top of the head just between and around the base of the horns. I guess that's a spot he really can't reach by himself. All I've ever read or heard is about how stubborn goats are, but he does come to me when I ask him to because he knows I mean no harm and usually he expects a good head or fanny scratching. :D

So the forehead scratching was a one time deal apparently - it hasn't happened again. He has let me put my arms around his giant belly and run/walks more slowly than he used to when he was just trying to get away. It's an odd love story, but it's mine. We each find our little joys with nature's creatures when and where we can.

Thanks for sharing - don't let our goofy comments here keep you up at night. ;)

xox
A.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Amanda,

Oh, no, I was never upset by anything you guys said. Promise. I was fairly sure you were joking and would not have been upset if you weren't. I'm pretty difficult to upset or offend, so please don't refrain from joking around and/or speaking your mind.

The goat sounds adorable. I love pretty much all animals, as, apparently, do you. I've never actually seen a goat except in photos nor have I had the opportunity to pet one, but from your post I almost feel as though I can reach out and scratch this one's head and feel the coarse and slightly shaggy fur between my fingers as I do so. As to the forehead scratching being a one time thing - so far - lately Heidi isn't letting me touch the top of her head either. She doesn't run away, she just raises her nose up to my hand such that I can never quite reach her head. It may just be that it was dark when I did it before and now in daylight it seems strange to her. It's quite amazing that she ever let me do it at all considering that even domestic dogs often find it threatening to see a hand reaching past their eyes and toward their head or neck area. Perhaps in time, they may grant us permission once more.

Horses also have that same basic structure with wide set eyes on the side of their heads granting them near 360 vision as do many large prey animals. There are some glitches in that system. Horses can see everywhere except directly behind their bodies and directly in front of their faces. In both of these 2 spots they are completely blind. I wonder if this may play a part in the goat's issues regarding having his face touched. If his vision is like that of a horse, your hand would be visible on approach and would at some point disappear from view as it drew close to his face. This might be unnerving.

This peculiarity of sight coupled with their equally odd ability to sleep standing upright is what makes it dangerous to walk up behind a horse in a stall, especially a narrow, standing stall, without 1st taking care to introduce yourself and insure the horse is awake and knows you are there. Otherwise, you may suddenly wake him from a deep sleep and, knowing something is there but unable even to see you there in his blind spot so close behind him, he may well kick you defensively before he even realizes it's just you harmlessly coming into the stall to give him his breakfast or take him out for a ride. More than a few equine enthusiasts have made this mistake.

Yet another oddity of near 360 vision is the fact that when jumping a fence or other obstacle, the horse jumps blind, unable to see the jump at all by the time he actually reaches it. Worse, on approach, he sees not one but TWO jumps, one coming toward him from either side (as seen from each, individual eye). As he gets closer, the two jumps merge towards each other and then, just as he reaches the jump, disappear altogether at the very moment when he needs to raise his front legs and thrust his body into the air to clear the obstacle. Can you even imagine having to jump under such conditions? We humans with our 3-D, stereoscopic sight but limited field of vision often fail to understand or appreciate what things are like for animals with entirely different structures.

When you stand beside a horse and put your arm over his back or neck it's like a big hug. It's how horses comfort each other when stressed or just show friendship. You can see them often standing around in the field, one with its head and neck draped over the shoulders of the other as if to say, "I'm here with you." My guess is that move, putting your arm over his back, may have similar meaning for goats. (I miss horses just talking about them. Been thinking a lot lately about getting one or maybe resuming dressage lessons.)

I can appreciate your enjoyment of time spent with the goat and with the crows and other birds. Don't know if I mentioned it, but there was a guy here, trois was his name, who actually had a wild blue jay that would land on his hand to eat peanuts. I was SO jealous. I asked him once how he managed that. He said it took a LOT of time, much like the way I got to this point with Heidi, that he started out just sitting outside motionless for long periods of time with peanuts on the ground nearby.

When the jay became very comfortable landing nearby to eat the peanuts, he began moving them closer, each time moving them again only after the jay was very comfortable at that distance. Once the jay was willing to eat beside him, he started putting the peanuts on a hat on his head, then on a gloved hand, and then finally the bird was comfortable landing and eating from his bare hand. Once the bird was that comfortable with him, he would just go outside and hold his hand out with a peanut in his palm and wait for the bird to come to him minutes later. The bird would sit around in the trees waiting for him to come out. He said he tried various nuts and found that the jay had a preference for peanuts.

I've seen this done with chickadees, too, and I think I mentioned that a particular tufted titmouse named Mr T used to land on my head whenever I would go out to work in the garden. My hair has very distinctly red highlights when seen in bright sunlight and at that time I had played up the natural red tone of my hair with a strawberry blonde semi-permanent coloring. The titmouse was apparently attracted to my red hair which he coveted for his/her nest. I'm told that males often seek out bright colored items as nest decorating gifts for their desired mate. Some species need to procure a particular color such as blue. Mr T like red. Or perhaps that was Mrs T's proclivity.

I was wondering if this might be something you could try with the crows. I know how much you enjoy them and can only imagine how, like me with Heidi and the kits, you might be like a kid on Christmas morning to have a wild bird trust you enough to sit on your hand and eat. I, too, would love to do this someday when I have the time to invest. Trois did this after he was retired. Another DG friend had a wild squirrel that would hop up on her lap to eat nuts. It's quite amazing the odd but wonderful bonds folks here have established with wild creatures over the years.

BTW, I saw where researchers recently determined that a particular parrot was using a distinctly different vocalization for each of her 3 baby birds when calling them to eat. For all intents and purposes, she seemed to be calling each baby bird using a distinct sound - much like a name - and each baby bird appeared to recognize its particular sound (or name). Is that awesome, or what? Sorry, I don't recall where I saw that, but it was a dependable source. (i.e., not the enquirer.lol)

Over the years observing the raccoons, I came to believe that they might actually have a language of sorts, as well. I realize people may find some of my observations a bit 'out there', but, as with the parrot, it's quite possible that there is still much we have to learn about the other creatures with which we share the planet. Another researcher noticed traits previously defined as distinctly human in a group of wild chimps. I saw that on a recent show on Nat Geo. As I keep saying, I'm convinced we have more in common with animals than we realize - and now science seems to be learning this is true.

Oops, I'm afraid you've inspired yet another lengthy dissertation. :-)

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

We want babies! Please pass this message on to Heidi! ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Late yesterday afternoon I had the opportunity to see the most comical thing. I do so wish I could have gotten that in a photo or recording. It inspired me to very literally laugh out loud.

The sun was still bright in the sky, and it was early for raccoons to be out and about. I had been doing something in the kitchen. I stepped around to the patio door to see if Kitty might be out there waiting to come inside as is often the case. What I saw totally took me aback.

A young raccoon, a yearling that is apparently familiar with my ways, was standing upright, NOT at the patio door as is so often the case but on the far side of the patio where she was on tippy toes in front of and some distance away from a window. My windows all come down to 18in from the floor, and as there is no crawl space, that's only 2 or 3 more inches from the ground or patio floor. In addition to the door where Heidi and the others often wait for me, about a foot down from there is a series of 4 windows, side by side like 1 giant window. As this is on the back of the house and facing the forest I keep the curtains open most of the time for maximum sunlight.

On the inside is of those patio windows is a decent sized breakfast room and then the kitchen, separated by a bar height counter. I had been in the kitchen previously, where my 5ft2 frame would have been largely concealed by the counter (from view of anyone at the window, that is).

The young raccoon, apparently interested in seeing what I was doing, perhaps to determine if I might be about to deliver dinner and what might be on the menu, was some 4ft back from the window, stretching up on tippy toes in an effort to discern what I was doing on the other side of the room and counter. She was completely unaware that I had exited the other side of the kitchen and made my way to the door where I had that positively hilarious opportunity for a moment to watch her trying to watch me.

Her pose at that moment was priceless. As though drawn directly from some Pixar animation, she reminded me very much of the sloth from Ice Age as she stood there long and lean, her arms slightly outstretched and drooping at about 45 degrees from her shoulders as though to help her attain maximum possible height, her lean body as distinctly vertical as any human, her gaze so incredibly serious as she strained to catch some glimpse of me over the kitchen counter. In that moment she could have been drawn from any comic strip cartoon.

It was only then as I burst out laughing that she realized I was not in the kitchen at all but rather at the door watching her. Instantly the moment was gone as she dropped to all fours and scurried away to the cover of nearby shrubs. I do so wish I had been able to record that moment in some manner. It was an absolutely once in a lifetime sight. Everything about her had been so incredibly comical and so surreal, this wild animal standing upright like a miniature human to peer through a window like Gladys Kravitz, this forest dweller so clearly focused on determining what she could glean over the bar about what I was doing in there and whether she would be dining any time soon.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL, Liz!

You have NO idea how often I tell her that very thing over tea and kibble crumpets.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Actually, it's about the right time for them to begin showing up, and I think I might have seen some evidence of them recently. This was next up on my growing list of things I need to tell you guys.

While out back photographing flowers, I noticed 1st one and then another and yet 3rd toy, all in the area under that weeping willow where the adults often let the kits play. The toys included one of those practice golf balls and a furry, toy rat. I don't recall seeing any of those small toys there previously. I need to check them again to see if they have been moved. While it's not impossible that the yearlings played with the toys, it's seems highly unlikely that any of them would be feeling very playful right now, as they are all pretty exhausted from this their very 1st round of nursing and baby care and are thus unlikely to be interested in anything other than food and rest. In fact, they often lie around looking totally done-in while waiting for dinner. This might sound familiar to some of the ladies, but at this time of year they all tend to lie around, looking tired to the bone and stopping frequently to lick what appear to be very sore mammaries. I really doubt they are in any mood to play right now.

Also, it's quite the coincidence that the toys have appeared recently under that tree. That's the only large tree in the backyard. It offers kits a place to escape quickly from danger. It's directly beside the old diner area. There used to be a small, neglected, weeded area between the buffet and the tree where the kits would hide out and play while their moms ate. The gardener converted the weeds to lush lawn, but there are still a number of hydrangeas and other shrubs around the base of the tree to provide some cover for play.

I'm thinking the moms, possibly one or more of the yearlings may already be bringing kits to the yard. I rather doubt they would bring them in daylight when they come to eat (the 1st time), but they may be returning later after dark, possibly even just to rest wile the kits play with the toys. They used to make such 2nd, 3rd, and nth visits to entertain the kits a lot back when the pool was open. I'm thinking, once the mom's get fed, like any other mom of multiple toddlers the focus for the rest of the day is on how to keep the babies entertained, busy, and out of mom's hair. The pool, toys, and such seem to provide much entertainment for the little tykes.

Then, just a few days ago, I noticed yet another sign of kits. Whereas under normal circumstances the raccoon eat all they can hold on their 1st (and possibly only) visit, when they 1st start taking the kits out - Heidi is particularly big on this - they come early, eat enough to knock their hunger back, and then leave the rest to eat later when they return with the kits after dark. Early on they feel safer bringing the kits after dark, but with such long days they are too hungry to wait that long. Plus they know I will be looking for them in the early evening before dark - and might not be there to feed them later. Thus they come early to eat some and return later with the kits to finish. This also lets them share some of the food with the kits who, while still nursing, will be eating some solid food by now. However, just like any other kids, at this age the kits all tend to eat a bite or two and then run off to play. With the tree, the toys, and the pool (before), my place is like a raccoon McDonalds (with that indoor, protected play area) or Chuckie Cheese. (Is that cute or what?)

Anyhow, somewhere around Wednesday of this past week, all 3 of the raccoons left prematurely, leaving half or more of their food behind. In fact, Heidi even left her beloved watermelon barely touched. I knew that I had given them the usual amount - and they often want more. It was unlikely that all 3 of them would be full on so little food, esp while nursing. (Isn't it very odd that all 3 raccoons would suddenly, and at the same time even, decide they were full and leave their dinner behind? That is even curious behavior WITH the kits in the picture. It seems to show cooperation and teamwork that all 3 did the same thing at the same time. I remain, as always, convinced that there is more to animals than we humans believe.) Immediately I thought of the kits, knowing they often do this early on when the kits 1st come to the yard. (The kits have always shown signs of being familiar with the yard by the time I 1st see them and when the moms 1st bring them during normal buffet hours.)

Just after dark that night when I checked, an opossum was out there eating, yet another reason why the raccoons don't leave their food behind that way, except when they plan to bring the kits to introduce them to the buffet late at night under very safe and controlled conditions. When the opossum left, there was still considerable food out there, including the melon. When I awoke around 3AM, I checked again, curious to see what was going on. This time every morsel of food was gone. But for the wafer then remains of the watermelon shell, there was no evidence there had ever been any food on the patio. I was pretty sure Heidi and the others had returned with the kits to finish their meal.

This behavior continued the next few nights, leading me to believe the kits are starting to come to the yard, probably in the early AM hours. If this is the case, very soon, like a week or less, they should probably start coming earlier. The yearlings may bring theirs to the patio but I have never seen Heidi do so. I will probably need to go back to the buffet area to see her kits.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Liz,

I've been mauling this over, and I think I've got a plan. When the raccoons return, I'll grab one of the yearlings and hold it for ransom until the others BRING THE BABIES! What do you think? I think it might work.

Lyndonville, NY

I like that idea! I think it would work....and keep that camera handy. Better get some more water melon for when those babies show up! lol

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Debbie,

I'm thinking I could make signs with a picture of the missing yearling and letters cut from magazines to spell out: "if you want to see your friend again, bring kits to buffet for dinner". I could post the signs on trees in the forest.

Oh, yeah, watermelon. I could use 2 of those myself. While out I could get some of those vanilla s/w cookies, too. Those are always a hit at raccoon kit parties.

Lyndonville, NY

Or peeps if you can find them! I think this is a great idea. LOL

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, Debbie

Peeps would be great. Too bad there are no peeps holidays upcoming.

Cheryl, the only problem with your plan is once you let one of the raccoons into your house & it brags about the soft furniture, toys & treats; the other's are bound to dig a tunnel to get inside in & have a party!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Liz,

That brings to mind a picture not unlike that of a popular advertisement some years back in which raccoons were having a party in a house (and making a mess) while the human's were on vacation. Can't you just see them now, going through the fridge - hmm, eggs, fruit, jelly, syrup - and the pantry - yum, sugar, cookies, cake mixes, canned frosting? Can't you just see the mess? 3 or 4 raccoons sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor amidst a pile of sugar and broken eggs with jelly dripping down one side, one wearing the pet food container like a lamp-shade hat, another, head back, pouring syrup in her open mouth straight from the bottle, yet a 3rd face down in a can of Pillsbury frosting? They would make a frat party look like a girl scout meeting.

Actually, every evening when I open the door to take the food out, Heidi stands with her front legs braced up against the door facing and strains her neck forward to reach her head and nose as far inside as physically possible. Then she takes a few big sniffs, clearly curious about what's inside, and I actually think she would come inside with only minor encouragement - or if I would just move out of the way and leave the door open.

It probably doesn't hurt that the patio door opens into the kitchen, replete with the welcoming scents of pet food, a pantry stocked well for emergencies, and the lingering aromas of recent meals. Also, over the years Heidi has seen Widget, Sassy (prior dog), and now Kitty and Cocoa enter and exit through that door many, many times, and not one of them has ever emerged with any signs of damage. In fact, lately she sees Kitty actually waiting some distance from the patio each afternoon/evening for a chance to slip past the raccoons and through that very door when I go out to feed the raccoons. Now Heidi is starting to wonder what's inside and whether she should venture in there, too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

While we are all waiting most impatiently for babies, have you seen these most adorable little tykes? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267280/

Lyndonville, NY

My husband panics every time he hears me talk of wild animals I saw.....remember the moose that followed me!! I end up with a trail of wildlife following me around the park in Canada also.

I remember that raccoon commercial...it was very cute!

Cheryl, that visual is hysterical. What a fabulous pic of the kits - look like they posed!

So, Debbie, you're the Pied Piper of wildlife?

Lyndonville, NY

Yes it seems that way...it kind of freaks my family out. I have only been scared once with anything, and it was more of someone else trying to "help" and making matters worse and that was an injured deer that got hit.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm Debbie yes - I try not to help if I can help it. :/

As for Cheryl - you are having waaay too much fun. I have to confess that I think of you almost every time I open my refrigerator as I have several small jelly containers from breakfast out just waiting to serve some purpose. :)

The weather in our neck of the woods is about to get and stay very warm! I just came in from watering. I don't do it this late very often, but Court and I agree and say "but it rains at night!!!" I am desperate for a load of mulch!

yawn. No sign of critters lately - the crows have just started to come back to MY yard after weeks away. Funny, that. But yes, I saw the gangly giant "baby" crow sitting on a low branch of an oak tree and screaming to be fed. My goodness! And his voice - very funny. Last year we had 3 babies, and I always chuckled when one of them tried to "caw" like an adult, but it was more like a pasty faced teenager whose voice cracked at the last. Sorry to all those pasty faced teens out there. :)

My cupboards are barren lately but even still with the cats and dogs there is always kibble. Also - when we got the new puppy someone from Court's workplace sent home all kinds of treats neither of our dogs can eat, so those went out yesterday and today. Pizza crusts from take out. Tomorrow we have giant french fries from a greek (!) restaurant from dinner this evening. Too hot to cook, too hot to go shopping for groceries. The best I can do is make sure everybody/everything stays hydrated.

I have been having fun lately watching the neighborhood squirrels figure out how to use the squirrel feeder. You're familiar with them? Plexiglass panel on one side/front with a lid on a hinge at the top. I can hear it before I can see it. The clap, clap, clap of the wood lid lets me know there is a novice squirrel on deck. Everyday when I put their share of black oil sunflowers and crushed peanut bits I clap clap clap the lid a few times so they know I've been there. I'm not very constant with the time of day and my feeding, but they're never far.

I like to watch the birds bathe in the water dishes I have around the yard --lately a catbird has been most frequent - and a thrasher likes to take a dirt bath in the pile of rubble where a crushed stepping stone used to be. Last year - or this spring I think (!) he was taking those dirt baths in Court's homemade sun dial where a bag full of play sand must make a mighty nice splash.

I also enjoy watching flying insects come to several of the bug baths I have around the yard - shallow dishes with pebbles or seashells for footing. Everybody needs a drink! Even if I can't feed 'em all - I can try to keep them hydrated.

Guess that's all for now - Cheryl - yes I've read that the goat's vision issues are what keep them from allowing their head/face to be touched.

Billy did not used to let me do a lot of things that I do now. I DO put my arms around him. He didn't used to tolerate this at all and would turn abruptly with his head down as if to charge me. Now I do it for fun and he runs from me - well trots slowly - with me running beside him with my arms around his big belly. ha ha ha. I have a curry comb and an undercoat brush that I use on his coarse hair. He's actually got a beautiful coat I think, but when he is shedding in the spring you can see the downy soft undercoat - last year when I started brushing him he had giant tufts of hair sticking out everywhere. Man, that goat is spoiled. :D

I bought him a new cable tie this week - this one will hold up to 250 lbs. It cost almost $20. It is 25 feet long. I thought it was the same as the others, but oops - he now has 5 more feet radius to stomp around. His momma inquired about it when she saw me the other day while she was walking her dogs past my house. She didn't complain about it. I explained how the other cord was so narrow he was getting his foot caught in it. The cable cord is actually twisted in a place like a corkscrew where his foot was getting tangled in it. The new cable is pretty big - bigger than a pencil - no way for him to get it caught in his toes. Remember he was on a chain before. It hurt me to watch him step on it - knowing it must hurt his little feets.

I am kind of p.o.'ed at the lady's dogs. She has finally put a gate across the yard and now leaves her dogs out - dogs which had been living in her basement (frownie face here). I spent several hours last week on what was then the hottest day of the year crafting a shade cloth for Billy to escape from the sun. I am almost enraged to find her dogs laying in the shade where Billy is supposed to be, but I have no control over this so I have to let it go. When I put up the shade cloth there last year she said, "he won't use it." But he did. Well enough griping about the goat. I have a photo of him, but it's from last year. Can't say he looks much different, except his belly is bigger now. And maybe his face looks a little happier/smarter to me than it does in this picture.

He's "ornery" as my old Uncle Bob used to say. But he does know me and is always pleased to see me. Yes still the highlight of my day, often.

Have a good night and stay cool this weekend!

A.

Edited to say - thank you to Cheryl for the education about horses. I did not know really anything about their vision, but I'm trying to imagine the difficulty in trying to jump! Horses do not have the same oddly shaped eyes as goats. I don't know enough about the physiology behind this, but surely you have seen the pupils which are elliptical and not round. The eyes are something else that set goats apart in terms of their strangeness, er . . . uniqueness. :D

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 10:50 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Aww... Remindsd me of my old Jane had a huge mamary tumor. Her owner called me about 30 min after she gave birth to twins. I brought the 3 of them home in my Escort waagon. Jane stood the entire 30 min trip with her head (tripod of horns + top of head smack up against the rear window....horns were at least a foot long. What a site we were taking the slower scenic thru town. That was a very special experience , hand raising those 2 babies...........'MAAA-AA-AAA' when-ever they saw me.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Amanda,

It's sizzling here too, now. The mercury went north almost immediately after I posted that it was cool here. We've been under heat warnings for a few days now. 105F expected today, 115 tomorrow, both heat-indexed temps. We don't usually see these temps until late July, early August. Not a good sign getting so hot this soon. Weather experts are projecting a summer of record-breaking temps across the nation. When it gets like this, I just stay inside where it's always the same.

I've been getting up very early lately. It's still pretty decent in the early morning - 75F now. Later in July it will be in the mid to upper 80's at sunrise. That's when I really stay inside, venturing out only to walk to and from my car - until Sept when temps finally start to drop again, still hot then, just not this hot.

I must confess, I am largely ignorant of goats. I've never even seen one. Never had any kind of interaction with them or even known anyone who did. We don't seem to have goats around here. Not sure why. I live in the city right now, where goats are definitely not allowed; however, even during times when I've lived some 20mi outside the city, in rural and even farming areas, there were no goats. There were horses, cows, chickens, and even a few hogs, but no goats. (no sheep either, btw.) Wondering if it might be a regional thing.

Thanks for posting a pic. That is not at all what I was picturing for a goat. See how little I know about goats? For starters, I did not expect horns, nubs maybe, but not horns. If I had been asked to name the animal in that picture, I would probably have guessed 'ram' due to the horns. The picture in my mind for 'goat' is the typical billy goat with the little tuft of hair on its chin.

What is the purpose of a goat? I don't mean that the way it may sound. Having no experience with them, I just don't know what they do or for what purpose people keep them. Do they have a farm purpose like milk or meat? Are they pets? Just curious.

When I was telling you that about horses, it was because I'm pretty sure the same things would likely be true of goats. There eyes may be different in shape and such, and that may make for other characteristics unique to them, but like horses and other large prey animals their eyes are set on the sides of their face, a design that gives them almost 360 degree vision needed to spot predators trying to sneak up on them. Unlike our eyes which work together to produce a single 3D picture, their eyes would each see something entirely different, each seeing what is on its side of the animal. Thus their eyes would send not one but two entirely different pictures. The downside of this is the relatively small blind spot directly in front of and behind the animal.

I mentioned all of that because I suspect that in goats as with horses, that center front blind spot likely plays a part in his reluctance to let you stroke his face. When you reach up to or near the area between his eyes, you are reaching into the blind spot. Your hand disappears. It's just very weird for them. When going out into a field to catch a horse, a novice will often approach the animal directly from the front, as you would approach a person. This approach is more likely to cause the animal to walk or run away. It's much better to approach them from a angle of maybe 30deg from the front. That way you stay out of that weird, blind area. But again, I only mentioned these things thinking they probably apply to goats, too, and thus might help you in your attempt to work with and understand the goat.

I understand the feeling when you feel the neighbor is mistreating an animal and you feel like there is little you can do about it. A few years ago my neighbor kept a shih tzu (small, long haired dog) tied up in the back yard all day, every day - where there is absolutely no shade. The had another, larger dog which they kept in the dark garage day and night, even in summer, with only about a two inch gap at the bottom of the door for air. I drove by one very hot, summer day and the dog was lying against the garage door (inside), with his nose sticking out through the gap as though for fresh air.

I was outside a lot back then, working in my yard/garden, and I never saw anyone spend any time with either dog. It made me wonder why they didn't just give the dogs to someone who would enjoy and appreciate them - and take better care of them. This went on for a while that summer. Finally, someone in the neighborhood started calling authorities to report what was going on. The police (animal control) came out a couple of times and ticketed them. On the 3rd visit they were required to surrender the dogs. This might be something you could do, if you really feel that strongly about the treatment the goat receives.

Time to get working now.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh no, I'm there every day Cheryl - have been for over a year now. If I could do so without destroying my weeds in the yard I would bring him here in a heart beat. In fact, one of these days I just might do it.

For now, he's got the best deal of all of them, as far as I can see. He has relative freedom, shelter (granted it gets a little warm in the shed but both doors are open and with a large exhaust fan). Clean water and food everyday, combing, affection, grounds/stall swept.

She and I have a "good" relationship now. Once in a while I slip into the bird house to give them fresh water. She does walk the dogs 2 or 3 times a day sometimes, the stray cats are all fed canned AND dry food at night and some of them even enter her house.

I help her to the spay/neuter clinic once a month when she takes up to 6 cats at a time - some feral from other places, some her own - and the clinic is $10/animal.

I can't hold everyone to my standards. But in the life of the goat, I know I have made a difference. The fact that she lets me and has accepted me and my presence everyday in her backyard is something I can't take for granted. I make sideways suggestions when I see something and it gets in her head - often results in action. She is not highly educated but she is very wise. I have told her and I am sincere when I say it that of all our neighborhood friends I love her the most. I do believe she thinks she is "saving" animals from a life otherwise worse. I don't know how exactly she came to obtain the goat in the first place, but she had him years ago. I understand that she sold the goat and found out later the man was going to slaughter him. She bought him back for twice as much as she sold him for, just so he could be alive in her back yard, such as it is/was.

Goats are raised for meat, for milk (excellent dairy products!), primarily. Are they sheared for their hair/fur? Have no idea. They are also incredibly useful for clearing brush as they eat almost any thing even vines/shrubs with thorns!!! Their lips are prehensile (!) and can discern things as I understand from my reading. They are herd animals and he would do well with company, but such as it is . . . I am part of his herd. He has accepted at least one of the dogs as friend.

Billy and I have been doing this dance long enough and he is much more accommodating of me now than he was. I know he is receiving proper nutrition as when I started visiting he often did not have water and the visible food products were cheap cereal (generic apple jacks!) and slices of white bread on the ground. -sigh- I knew grazing animals needed forage so I started there - with green things - forage and pellets and hay. She says now that he is my boyfriend and that's fine by me. Back when things were bumpy she on occasion got mad at me for this or that. She even went so far as to tell me not to feed him. I am sure that by bringing all this stuff over for him I was making her feel deficient. She sent me an apology that time by email saying that she'd been selfish and how when I visited once or twice she saw how "lost" Billy was after I left.

Billy is a large goat, a breed called Boer. They originate from South Africa so they are accustomed to or built for heat. There are much smaller breeds, but he may be one of the larger. Funny you would say "ram" because that's what I said to Court when I first came home telling him about the ram I'd seen in the next block over. ha ha

The horns probably have defensive purpose, but I learned that they also help to regulate their body heat. It's unusual to see within city limits, but apparently someone reported her and she's already been to a hearing with the city. Apparently the ordinances do not prohibit the goat and here he stays. More and more neighbors in our little enclave have chickens. I even know of at least one bee hive. I don't wonder what anybody thinks of me, carrying 20'+ stalks of bamboo in/on the car for him to munch, but it pleases me and that's what matters. Some nights I wish I didn't have to go around the block, but I know Billy is waiting for me.

Funny - the more I think about it the more I want him over here. He will love my rudbeckias and I won't have to work so hard to keep everything alive in this heat. Of course, Tracie was upset because he stripped the bark off one of her trees in her yard and it died, so I would have to protect anything I didn't want him to eat. We have a giant camellia - which is on his list of edibles - a black pine - also on his list of edibles - pecan tree, mulberry tree (on his list of edibles) and of course, all my weeds (call 'em weeds because they are mostly native wildflowers) which would be gone in short order. I have fun thinking about the walk around the block with the goat - him dragging me or having to put him on a trailer because he is very strong! All kinds of crazy fun just imagining . . . But for now, yes the heat. I'd better get moving and back out there to water some more of my weeds.

Have a great day/weekend!
A

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I just came back from feeding the raccoons - well, actually, I went out there to check on them and take Heidi an egg. drum beats and the rockets red glare were going off all around me, yet 4 wild raccoons stood around my legs, each w/in 1-2ft of my feet, all calmly eating kibble while ignoring the sound effects. How unbelievable is that? I mean, seriously, the cacophony out there was enough to be nerve wracking even to one who knew it wasn't actually hazardous (well, mostly not).

Amazing that the raccoons are able to eat on the patio, which, btw, is a pretty good distance from the safety of the forest, even while the air around them is flashing colors like an 80's dance floor and the punctuated by the staccato sounds of rockets and gun fire. Especially amazing considering that the neighbor directly beside me has 3 boys in the 18-25 range, all of whom are out there shooting off fireworks a few feet from my fence - and numerous others around the community are also shooting off fireworks. Also amazing considering how many pets around the country suffer intense fear during this event each year. (Btw, one year a rocket landed on my roof and several in my backyard. That's how close the raccoons are to the action out there.)

Anyhow, while out there I walked right up to Heidi, bent down and put the egg on the floor by her nose. She reached out, picked it up, and holding it with her two hands rapped it gently on the patio floor to break it (the 1st time I had ever seen that move. When on grass, she bites eggs to break them.). Once broken, she lapped the egg from the two shell halves as though she were eating a coddled egg.

I came back inside where Widget, who had been inside alone all that time, was sleeping peacefully despite all the noise.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

The image of Heidi breaking the egg made me smile. Thanks for that.

My goat friend is afraid of the 'works - he hides under this old aluminum table in his shed and same table he gets up on to sleep on. Apparently he upended the table overnight and somehow trapped himself under it. Tracie found him (?!) that way in the morning. An unsettling stain is on the oriental rug (yes there's an oriental rug in his shed) beneath the table. It looks like blood to me but Court said combo of urine and feces. Tracie said it was poo and she cleaned it up.

Poor stupid goat. Glad racoons have more sense.

Hope you're surviving this heat. Certainly not thriving here! Just trying to keep my head down and get thru it. Hope it breaks soon.

xox
A.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night the kits finally arrived. It wasn't dark yet, and as I approached the patio door, I could see 4 kits. They appeared to be with that one raccoon who had the nasty wound on her back not so long ago. They followed her up to the door but ran to hide when I turned on the patio light.

One kit was on the patio as I walked out, but a minute or so after I got out there on the patio, he slipped between the flower pots and disappeared. The others were hiding somewhere already. I tried to call them back but w/o success.

I went inside to get more food and a toy (practice golf ball) and headed back out. On this my 2nd trip out, 3 of the kits were hanging around the rose arbor about 4ft from the patio and were trilling up a storm, apparently, wanting Mom to come over to where they were.The 4th kit was still on the patio, his upper body projecting outward from behind the flower pots to eat kibble beside his mom.

By the time I finished distributing food, all of the kits had disappeared and I could hear them trilling loudly from the area of the back fence where the raccoons usually come and go. It was clear that my presence had upset the kits and made them feel uncomfortable. Now they were at the back fence, wanting to leave and calling their Mom to join them.

If time allows tonight I will put a folding chair out there on the patio so that I can sit down. The kits usually feel less threatened when I am seated and very still. Even years ago when I used to sit back by the fence, the kits were always afraid the 1st time when they came to the buffet with their Mom and then suddenly saw me sitting there. Some would run back to the fence a time or two but as long as I remained very still and talked to them in a sweet voice, they would always come back in time.

How exciting! Now, the fun begins! :-)

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Is that Bast?? How big whould you say those kits are??

Now comes my favorite part, All of your amazing word pictures of the babies, your grandkits!

;-D
Sheri / BB

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last night my neighbor was out there on his riding mower well after dark. That kept the raccoons away. I was pretty beat and ended up going to sleep before he finished and thus before the raccoons arrived - I'm guessing they probably showed up some time after the neighbor finished his yard work.

Sheri -- The kits were very tiny, not too small to be out an about (like Dennis' kits that 1st year), but definitely very young. I cannot put an age on them though. No, the injured raccoon I mentioned was not Bast. It was one that showed up earlier this spring with a nasty gash on her upper back. I took a photo which you should see if you scroll up higher on the thread. Although the wound looked painful, she was not anywhere near so badly injured as Bast was that time. The wound is now healed, but I can still see the 'V' shaped discoloration in her fur up on her back. Not sure why, but when they have a wound that results in hair removal, the new hair that grows in after the wound heals is a different color (darker) than the rest of the fur. It leaves the outline of the wound as a semi-permanent reminder for at least the rest of that year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Amanda,

Still very hot here, too. Sorry to hear about the goat's fears and resultant battle with the table. Glad to hear he was not seriously harmed. Most prey animals have a built in fear of unusual sights and sounds. Makes them fear a predator is after them, I guess. They usually get pretty freaked out at such times and may even harm themselves in their efforts to get away. I'm happy to hear that the goat is still ok.

Seeing Heidi break the egg by rapping it on the concrete was new for me, too. Raccoons are very, very smart though. The one thing I keep looking back to when describing raccoons' higher intelligence is the problem of the moving bowl. For years I've watched dogs and cats chase bowls across the floor while trying to eat. Despite my best efforts to anchor the bowl against the wall with something heavy in front of it, seems cats and dogs always manner to find a way to get that bowl out in the middle of the floor somewhere with nothing to block its movement. Then as they push against the contents of the bowl to eat, the bowl moves away from them, and they (cats and dogs) merely walk across the room following the moving bowl. Raccoons, on the other hand, NEVER chase their dish. Raccoons are too smart for that. They just put one front foot in the bowl to hold it steady and then eat their fill. No chasing required. So now, every time I see my dog chasing his bowl, I want to tell him, "put your foot in the bowl, silly!"

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry I haven't been back to regale you with more stories of cute, furry, raccoon babies. I haven't seen the kits again since I posted that day. In fact, I've only seen the raccoon with the scar on her back once and haven't seen Heidi at all. I made several trips to the back door to look for them last night, but we seem to be on different schedules.

In all honesty, the evening when I saw the kits and hurried to let you know, I knew even then that the timing was bad and that I wouldn't likely be writing a lot of raccoon stories over the next week or so. I'm going through a bit of a rough time right now, just one of life's, many, inevitable bumps in the road. Nonetheless, I'm feeling very down today. To quote my very 1st ever employer, "I'm feeling low enough to walk in through that little gap under a closed door."

Now don't worry. I'm sure I'll be back to my usual, 'glass 1/2 full', 'gonna make it no matter what', old self in no time. Just on a down note today. I guess we all go through them now and then. Right now I'm about to leave for a Dr's appointment. Routine stuff. When I get home this evening, I'm going to get out my artist pastels and draw/paint something. That always helps to restore my soul, and yet, somehow, I never seem to find time for it. Today I insist on it.

In the coming week or so, as soon as I get over this bump in the road, I'm going to take my folding chair or garden seat out back to sit for maybe 30min or so each evening, camera and goodies at the ready, in hopes that maybe the raccoons - and kits - will join me.

Oh, there is one small thing I forgot to mention. The night when I saw the kits on the patio, I took a tiny, plastic, practice golf ball out there for them. I dropped it in the middle of the patio, but you know how things go, right? The ball hit the middle of the patio and then immediately rolled away, coming to rest behind the baker's rack against the house. Being thus hidden, I feared the kits might not find it - especially considering that the last time I heard from the little tykes they were back there at the fence trilling for their Mom to follow them.

The very next morning when I went to the patio door to let Widget out, the 1st thing that caught my eye was that little, white ball. Sitting out in the open, all the way across the patio from where it had fallen, and in the very spot where the raccoons eat. Clearly, those little kits had come back to the patio to join their Mom once I went back inside that night and found and played with the little ball I had put out there for them. :-D

Off now to see the doc.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Back from the Dr now and feeling better already! Maybe I just need to get out more, out of the house, out of the office, see the sunshine, talk to new people. Maybe that's the ticket.

Sorry if this is a little OT. I really am trying these days to stay on topic, but sometimes a discussions cuts across several topics. Sometimes it's hard to separate the cats from the raccoons from the dog from my own stuff. Anyhow, when I was leaving for my appointment, Cocoa (semi-feral cat) caught me at the front door. He was determined to come inside, but I know he doesn't like to stay inside w/o me, so I refused to let him in. I was in a hurry and didn't want to miss my apt, but I could see that he was hungry, esp since he missed dinner last night. I put his food bowl on the bench at the front door and took off.

I returned a good 2hrs later to find Cocoa STILL hanging out in the front yard waiting for me. He came hurrying toward me as I turned in the driveway. He had eaten all of the food I had given him and was still waiting for more and/or to come inside where it's cool. It's in the 90's outside.

Anyhow, mostly I just wanted to say that I'm feeling much better now.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better! You need some cute lil' raccoon kits to lift your spirits!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Liz,

It is a special treat to watch very young kits at play. Just seeing them brings a smile to my face, but watching them as they investigate and learn about their new world is a very special treat.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Cheryl:

Up and down, all around. Here for you! :)

xox
A.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I am SO glad it's not April 1 today. If it were, no one here would EVER believe what happened to me tonight!

1st let me say that I've been super busy this past week, as I had anticipated, and thus have not yet had time to sit outside to try to get to know the kits. Several days ago I did see what appeared to be Heidi's kits. It was early evening, shortly before dusk. Heidi was sitting right up against the patio door as she often does when waiting for me. It wasn't until I opened the door that I saw the tiny kits at her side. Several of the kits scattered when I opened the door, but one stayed right up on the threshold at Heidi's hind quarter. Clearly, she wasn't afraid of me, so neither was the kit. It was only after I stepped out onto the patio, that Heidi sent the kit away. All the adults were vying for positions, all trying to get their food first, so it wasn't really a safe place for kits that small - and the kits that were with her that night were VERY small, the smallest I've seen so far this year.

I didn't see the kits any more that night. The kits went and hid elsewhere in the yard while the adults ate. The kits may have come back later after things settled down, but I didn't stay.

The REAL adventure was TONIGHT. I went to the kitchen for something. On the way, I stopped by the patio to check for the raccoons. Heidi wasn't there, just some of the others. I grabbed the kibble and returned to the door. Through the glass panes on the door, I could see a couple of adult raccoons just beyond the door. I could also make out part of a kit that was standing up on the threshold against the [still closed] door. I couldn't see much of him/her, because the kit was below the bottom of the lowest glass pane and pressed up against the bottom of the door. I could only see part of and ear and some feet, but it was enough to see that it was definitely a baby raccoon.

I was about to open the door (which opens inward) to step outside with the food. I've done this before when older raccoons were up against the door. When I opened the door, they always either shuffled quickly away from the door, if they were afraid or caught off guard, or those that knew me well, such as Heidi, would stick their heads inside to look around. I expected the kit would do what the older raccoons do. I figured it would shuffle away once I opened the door and it realized it was inches away from a 'giant' human. But, what was I thinking. Toddlers don't behave like adults ...

(continued) yes, I'm still typing and expect to send by the time you finish reading this. :-)

Lyndonville, NY

Your not typing fast enough!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

(For a minute there I was having trouble getting back 'on' - like I promised - after I sent the prior post. We are having a tstorm right now, and I was beginning to fear I might not be able to get back 'on' to finish. I've at least got the thread back now. Here's hoping I will be able to send this part when I finish typing it.)

...I opened the patio door, prepared to step out onto the patio and fully expecting the kit to move away from me and scurry away to hide as all the others have been doing. But clearly lacking the observational skills of the older raccoons, the baby failed to realize that anything had changed or even that I was standing there behind him. The kit had been standing there on the threshold for a while. It had it's back up against what it perceived as a solid wall, a surface which wasn't going anywhere, so the kit's attention was focused on what was going on in front of it - and remained so even after I had opened the door and was standing behind it.

When the other raccoons, the adults, saw me open the door, they came rushing toward the door, all vying to be 1st to eat. Remember, Heidi wasn't there, and she is the one who keeps the others in line. Without Heidi there, the others were all rushing the door and jostling for position. The baby was looking in that direction, so all it saw was all these adult and/or yearling raccoons crowding in towards it (while acting excited). Seeing all these adults coming at him and perceiving that as a threat, the kit started to scoot backward rather quickly to get away from them!

The kit was so totally focused on the adults coming at him that he still had NO clue that the 'wall' which had been behind him was now gone, and I was standing directly behind him even as he began back INTO the kitchen! It all happened SO fast. I didn't know what to do, but I knew it wouldn't be a good idea to let the little fella keep backing into the house. By the time I could react, he was already so far into the kitchen that it was too late to use the door to stop him! I didn't know what to do, but I definitely didn't have time to think it over.

The kit's hair was standing straight up all over it's body - like a soft porcupine. The big raccoons were trying to get to me and the food, but all the little fella could see was them coming at him. The kit was frightened by them. That's why his hair was standing on end. It made him look bigger, and very fluffy.

I had to stop him from backing any farther. I didn't have time to think about it. I bent down and put my two hands behind him, wrists together, forming a wide 'V' shape. I didn't touch him. I just put my hands there to replace the 'wall' (door) which had been there and thus stop him from backing any further. The little guy backed right into my hands!!! It was such an incredible moment. At 1st, he STILL didn't realize that I was there. He had been so fixated on the raccoons in front of him. Even when he was basically in my hands - or at least backed right up against them - it took what seemed like a very long minute or two for him to realize I was there.

When he finally did look up and see me, he was pretty terrified to realize how close I was. That was the only down part of the event. I hated that I had to scare the little fella. Once he realized I was there, his eyes got big as saucers, and he took off. I didn't see him again. Still, except for scaring him, it was a really cool experience, even if it was very brief. Baby raccoons are just about the cutest things on the planet.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sorry, Debbie!

I had a little difficulty due to the storm, but I was trying all the time. Hope it wasn't too, too long.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As for the kit thing, it was only very brief, but it was still quite unbelievably heavenly to have the little tyke practically in my hands for maybe 60 to 120 or so seconds. It was awesome - so inspirational. I think now I will be more motivated to get out there and spend some time with them.

I think I'm in love. ;-)

For sure I got a good shot of those internal, feel good chemicals.

And, no, this is not a joke or a hoax. It really did happen. I never in a million years would have dreamed it, but it did. I had actually never touched a kit that young before. Even Dennis was a bit older than that before he started coming over to me, and even then it was a while still before he got comfortable enough to stand up at my knee. Dennis was a yearling or close before I tried to pet her. At the very least she was a like a teenager. Definitely not a tiny baby like this one. I don't know who the kits' mother was, but I gather she was one of the more 'hands off' type moms, the ones that let the kits tag along and do whatever as long as they don't bother her. Heidi would never have let one of her kits get in such a position, alone and afraid that way.

Lyndonville, NY

Oh Cheryl, how exciting! You are going to need to keep a large cookie sheet or such to use as a shield incase that happens again. BUT, so close and so
exciting.

Poor little tike was no doubt scared to pieces, and thank heavens Widget and kitty were elsewhere!

Yes, I would be in love too! Very much so.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.