delonix

Tucson, AZ

who were the ppl that recv'd the delonix seedlings from me at the last swap? how are they doing after the mild winter?

Phoenix, AZ

That was me and Brittany :) Mine survived being dragged back and forth in the house whenever temps got low. It lost the original 3 branches and has a bunch of new sprouts coming out of the top :)

Tucson, AZ

woo hoo! glad to hear that it is doing good fishie. we will have blooms!!! mine have been outside since the end of january. i have to separate the last of the seedlings. i will probably have one for the swap.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am a little behind planting the seeds. I planted them last week and two have germinated. I had 5 so that is 40%. And the other could still show their little heads. I took a photo. I will post tomorrow. Maybe you can give me some advise on what I need to do next. .

Phoenix, AZ

Mine is now fabulous and bushy! It really needs to be transplanted :)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I had a problem with my heart in August 2011 and end up in the hospital. I am much better now. I planted the five seeds about one week ago. Two have germinated. I am so glad because I was so worried I had waited to long.

Would you please post a photo so I can see what to expect.

The first photo was yesterday and the second photo is today. I was so excited to see something coming up. Like Christmas when I was a kid.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Phoenix, AZ

I'll take a pic in the morning :)
Glad you're doing better ♥

Tucson, AZ

fishie, do not be too eager to put it in a larger pot. what size is it in now? i guess i will see when you post the pic.

hi, sharon! it is a good thing that you are feeling better. we'll have to catch up. i have not been on DG much. your seedlings look good. why the big pot? i have posted some pics from last year. i have some orchid tree seeds if you want some. i just started 18! silly me.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Phoenix, AZ

I'm just worried about it, lol. You know how hard I've tried to be successful with one of these :)

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Tucson, AZ

yours is looking very nice, fishie! i like the pot, too!

they are too easy to grow during the summertime. lol the success comes in keeping them alive during the winter. and i failed! :( my large one is gone. i put it out too early. plus, i think the pot was too big and the soil stayed wet too long. going with smaller pots and making sure that it is root bound before i move them up.

fortunately, i had a couple waiting in the wings. here is one of them. it will be a year old next month. it is in a 5-gal container perhaps for all of next year, too. i will have to monitor its growth. also, through in pic of orchid tree seedling. hard to believe that this one is pretty much a year old. they are neat to have just for the shape of the leaves. hopefully, i can get this to flower by 2014. haha!

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Phoenix, AZ

So you think I should leave it in the pot?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have them in the large pot because that is all I had at the time. I have since found some smaller pots in the garage garden area.

I wonder if I should re-pot them now or wait awhile. I am sure I could dig them up now with my hand trowel and not hurt them but then I could also kill them both.

Fish, (sorry I cannot remember your name) your tree looks great. What size is your pot.

Detrick, I would love some orchid tree seed. Yes, how have you been doing with "Mother Winter" not nagging you.

OT, what do you feed your plumeria?

I planted some Philippine violet seed today.

I took this photo this afternoon.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Tucson, AZ

fishie, i think so but that could just me being a chicken. : ) perhaps, wait until next spring right before it wakes up and check the root ball.

sharon, it depends on how far the tap root has gone down. you can try with the trowel though. i can get some seeds out to you this week. you're still on tournament, right? that's what i have in my phone. you were never nagging. haha! thanks for the push! i will get in touch soon and let you know what i did.

i started using Vigoro Palm, Ixora and Ornamental Plant Food (8-4-8) this month. next month i am going to try Vigoro Tomato and Vegetable Garden Plant Food Plus Calcium (12-10-5). i use the same fertilizer on all of my plants.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Yes I am still on Tournament. Motherly nagging is never nagging.....

Why are you going to try Vigoro Tomato + Calcium. And why are you switching. I took a new photo today. These two seedlings are growing like mad. They get morning sun and afternoon shade.

First photo is from above. Second photo is showing height.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Today's photo.

Tucson, AZ

hi sharon. they look very happy!

i feel like i wash out the water soluble ferts w/ subsequent watering. plus, i am tired of mixing ferts. that is why i am switching to the granular. i prefer more K over N but will take what i can get right now. i want a fert that has calcium, magnesium, sulfur and copper together along with other micros.

i will mail the seeds out this week.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well here is today's photo. This little bugger is growing.

Second photo is off subject but I hope you know the answer Derick. It is a photo of one of my plumeria. The photo is not absolutely clear but the white substance looks like course salt. It also crumbles like course salt.

Any special instructions on the seeds. Are you looking for anything for your garden?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Where is today's photo. This little tree is growing like a bean stock. I will have to measure it tomorrow. I am going to attempt to transplant it tomorrow into a smaller pot.

Tucson, AZ

that is just dried plumeria sap. sometimes they bleed.

thanks, but i do not need anything for the garden right now. did you get the seeds?

your seedling is looking good. happy transplanting!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I got the seeds today. I have a large cloth grow bag that was given to me by a neighbor. I think it still has the label attached.

I could mail it to you. I have had it over two years and do not plan on using it.

Thank for the plumeria info. I did get some Vigoro tomato food today. It was at HD. None at Lowes and it was on the top shelf. Therefore, I could only get one.

First photo is with the ruler along side being held up by stake. Second photo is ruler pushed 1 1/2 inches in the ground. Think maybe I am obsessed.

AND, Mother Winter got no letter with the seeds.....

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

The first one is the same size as the second. You just cannot see the numbers on the ruler.

I also planted some Philippine violet in the same pot. Something is germinating between the two delonix.

Detrick, do I plant the orchid tree seeds on their sides like the delonix?

I went to Target today to find some new clogs. The puppies ruined the ones I have had for years. And I thought that would be impossible. I found a pair on sale for $4.95 but then the next aisle had all their fiberglass pots on sale. So now I have 6 new pots.

I should have gone to Nordstrom for my clogs, they do not sell gardening pots.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

You're too funny Sharon - I'll have to email Nordstrom's and tell them to start selling pots

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

This is today photo. I have really busy gardening and cooking. I will get both of them transplanted sometime this week.

They are both doing great.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well here is a photo from today. Photo #1. Other one looks the same.

They are looking a little stressed. Made it through our big time hail storm. But they need some fertilizer.

I will check my fertilizers in the morning. I think I purchased some Vigoro. If not, I will buy some tomorrow.

On June 16th I planted some Philippine Violets. They surfaced Monday. Photo #2

The orchid plants has germinated. Four out of 5. Photo #3

When I took the photo of the Philippine Violet, I did not notice the damage. I am going out in a minute with a flashlight to see what is sucking on it.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

When I just went outside, I discovered another orchid seedling. All five seeds germinated.

One Philippine Violet is being sucked by an insect and the other one is perfect for the moment.

Also there is a Philippine Violet growing in one of the pots with the Delonix. Look close at photo #1 above. It just germinated also. Over two months. I guess I moved the seed when I transplanted the Delonix.

This is much more fun than purchasing plants.

Thanks, Mother Winter.

Tucson, AZ

sharon - looks like your delonix and orchid tree seedlings are doing fine. congrats! yeah, it is fun growing them from seed. i am astounded at what i have after 15 mos for the orchid tree seedling and 16 mos for the delonix.

fishie - your delonix must be really big by now!

i think both will get moved to 7-gal pots next may.

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Phoenix, AZ

Just went out and snapped this pic just for you.
Mine seems to have spent it's summer getting wider (me too). I'm already stressing about this winter :(
Notice the little blue fishie pot you gave me years ago?
That's Frogymons little Staplia peeking out from underneath it

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's the O. malanatha Detrick provided; the pic was taken about a month ago and it's already twice this size.

Thumbnail by frogymon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have 5 orchid trees seedlings. They look more line a vine. But you are right. Love the leaves..

Derick, what do you think about braiding 3 of the orchid tree into a twisted trunk. Have you tried that?

I finally fed the delonix today with Vigoro tomato food. About time. I had the two very large sumac trees in the back landscape trimmed on Friday so I move them onto the covered patio to keep them safe from falling tree branches. I forgot them and ran out there about half way through this post to check them. While I was there, I fed them and my plumeria. My plumeria did not bloom but I love them anyway.

Detrick, take care of our weather and send us some rain. But please keep the hail. Across town on Tuesday they got big time hail and 1" of rain.

Sharon AKA, Mother Winter

Tucson, AZ

cute! why are you worried about winter, fishie? i thought that you were going to bring it inside on those really cold nights.

looking good, frogymon. that plant has grown insanely. i just sold it to a friend's son for his nursery.

sharon, i think the braiding might work for pot culture. i do not know when one would start braiding though. have you researched it on the web? i heard that y'all recv'd way too much rain recently. that was not my doing. lol how are the orchid tree seedlings and delonix this week?

Phoenix, AZ

It's getting big and heavy to drag around. Maybe I'll get it an electric blanket for Winter.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Mine are still in the same place. This Saturday re-potting them is on the to do list in my mind.

Tuesday we had big time rain lower in the valley. Over 2" in some areas in less than an hour. One landscape worker got swept away by a 12' wall of water on a golf course. He was trying to save a very large riding lawnmower. They found his body today. The desert is not a very friendly place for a lot of rain in a short period of time. Most rain in Las Vegas on Sept. 11th since 1936.

Take care and I will post photos when I get them re-potted.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Detrick, glad i got a piece to grow before you sold yours. I've already promised a start to my neighbor, who loves succulents/cacti.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Those delonix look like moringas on steroids.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

Nice looking royals,i have a couple in 30 gal. cloth pots and one in the ground,i have yet to get flowers from the potted plants but the one in the ground has been flowering the last 3 summers.

Thumbnail by sonorarat
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

How do you protect the one in the ground?

Mine are still in the smaller pots because I came down with a cold last Friday and still battling it. Brought me to a screeching halt.

Yuma, AZ(Zone 10a)

Hi Sharon, I hope you are feeling better, the tree is 20-25 feet tall i have not tried to protect it since it was potted.

Thumbnail by sonorarat Thumbnail by sonorarat
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't think it gets as cold in Yuma as Las Vegas or does it?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Depends on which year. Two years ago we got down to 18 degrees last year we were in the low 30s.

I see her plumeria growing in the ground. Here we grow them in pots and move them into the 3rd car garage area during the winter.....Last year Bougainvilleas bloomed the majority of the winter. The year before they froze and did not come back.

Oh the joy of living in the crazy desert. But this morning is absolutely beautiful even if I still have a cold....Sharon

Tucson, AZ

hey, mike! that is a nice delonix! can you post pics of the ones in the 30-gal pots?

Sharon, take care of yourself. i hope that you are feeling better. i am doing the strep throat-cold virus combo w/ a dash of high bp. the plants keep me sane and alive. yay!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.