Dutchman's Pipevine: OK to grow or no?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I thought this plant was safe for the butterflys, but I see in the Plant FIles that it is not. Can anyone advise?

Thanks! Jennifer

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

It's safe for the Polydamas Swallowtail (if you get those where you live), but I find that the Pipevine Swallowtails don't do as well on non-native pipevines. I believe the toxicity of the non-natives is higher in the non-natives. Also, Polydamas are known in tropical regions and would eat some of these non-native (to the U.S.) whereas the Pipevine ST is pretty much limited to the U.S. region and therefore would only have eaten those native to the U.S. I grow Aristolochia trilobata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55366/ which is suitable for either type of caterpillar.

Melanie

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Melanie for the helpful info. Hello Jennifer.

Pittsford, NY

Thanks for the great info. I thought we were not supposed to have swallowtails, but I saw two last summer, so was planning on planting aristolochia trilobato this spring. I was planning on treating it as annual here in zone 6. Make sense? How much growth should I be prepared for?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

A. trilobata is fairly slow-growing compared to other pipevines. Mine is on an obelisk about 5 feet high and is wrapped around it a couple of times. Of course, I don't fertilize it or anything and my soil is sand so it might do better if nourished a little more. : )

Melanie

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi LilyLove! Thanks for the great input everyone :)

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Namaste250 - try growing it in a warm sheltered spot - like a south-facing wall. I haven't tried one, but supposedly they will occasionally winter over (& attract Butterflies) in Zone 5 Colorado. Neither the plant nor the Butterfly is supposed to be in Colorado.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.