need info on bluberries please

Shirley, IN

I would like to order some blue berry bushes from Indiana berry company. But I know nothing about them ,I have no idea how tall they grow. I am a short lady 5 ft so I would like a smaller bush ,but I am more concerned with the taste I d like a firm very sweet berry , any recomintations?

Greensburg, PA

Most of the bushes will be around your height. Bonus is the largest berry there is and hard to find, but Ind. carries them. I am a great fan of Duke for size, flavor and productivity. Elliott is late season, so extends your crops. Ind. Berry has a lot of charts on their site and in their catalog that you should find helpful.

Shirley, IN

have you bought from Indiana Bery before? does it hurt to plant 2 different kinds?

Greensburg, PA

Yes, I've used Indiana Berry several times over 20 years. No problems except during the early years, a couple of poorly identified plants - but that was common back then.

Plant at least 3 different kinds, an early season, middle season and late season. You get more fruit with cross fertilization and you get fruit all summer long. If you want quantities for freezing, canning and baking, then you might want to concentrate on one type with an extra fertilizing plant for the cross pollination, but we prefer the all summer long approach. I have more that 20 plants in pots, so quantity is not a problem. Plan to cage or net to protect from birds.

Shirley, IN

do they do well in pots? thanks so much for the help
tammy

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

You will need a very acid soil to grow Blueberries. Find out what kind of soil you have in your area. If you dont have acid soil, you will have to grow them in pots with a peat mixture. I also add sulfur once or twice a year.

Greensburg, PA

I've started growing mine in pots using a mixture of peat, fine pine back and porous silica. They are doing well so far. I will add a little acid fertilizer this year. Mine in older pots get an annual layer of acid peat - about 1" each year to keep the soil acid.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Jujubetexas,
I just got my sulfur, about how much do you put around a mature (5yrs old) blueberry? Mine are rabbiteye instead of highbush but I think the acid need is the same.

My soil tested so acid (4.2 to 4.5) when I first had it tested, I didn't worry about sulfur until this year. This year it tested 5.2. Does the plant use up the acid?

Thanks,
Paul

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It diminishes over time. I would do a light dressing and work it into the top 1 or 2.

Shirley, IN

I am not knowledgeable on blueberry bushes. what is the difference in a rabbiteye and a highbush?

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have said it. Rabbiteye grows well in my area, definitely not for Indiana. Just get the kind your Indiana nursery sells.

Greensburg, PA

Indiana Berry Co does mail order and sells to many areas. They sell all kinds, including rabbiteye and highbush. Highbush are likely a better type for your climate than the rabbiteye's, which are predominantly warmer climate types.

This link will get you some more information. http://www.hortmag.com/weekly-tips/kindsofblueberries

Since you are in Indiana and Ind Berry Co is also in the state, they are likely a good place for you to contact and purchase from. I'd recommend you try varieties Duke and Elliott, for early and late season fruit, but there are many good choices.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.