Spring has Sprung in my Zone 5 yard! Anybody else w/ blooms?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's great to hear, tcs!

Cindy, the trees around here are also going like crazy, although a few are right on schedule (like our River Birch trees)...weird. I have to put fresh water daily in our birdbaths. The birds and squirrels use them constantly and sometimes the deer, as well.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few blooms to ya'all. Do the little dandelions behind the tulips count?

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very pretty, juhur7...Thank You!! Don't worry about the dandelions. They're everywhere!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

YOUR WELCOME,I think I've heard every lawnmower and tiller for a few blocks running today,People love that 60 degree weather to do thier work outside.
The flower got there by mistake (wrong button),These are a few vegie pics from last week,they look the same after last night's frost.
Will you be doing a summer bloom thread in a few months or so? As it will or would be nice to see what everyone has blooming.I was so looking forward to spring ,now it seems all I can think of is I''ll be glad when the cold weather goes away.Guess I ought not to have complained about it being 80 last week.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The first clover bloom of the season.
Well, since dandelions count(lol)

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

sounds like we are in for cooler weather next week...should I say Normal temps...LOL..
Got a harder frost last night..Covered the Important stuff..Climatis ,doing ok..Others we will see

at least its cooler I need to dig and split for the plant sale..I need to move a few things too,or want to...LOL

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, juhur7, looks like your garden is really popping!

If no one else starts a thread on Summer Blooms, why don't you start one? I kind of have a feeling, though, with this strange weather that Spring is going to run into Summer before we even realize it (or did we already have Summer last week??)

Hugger - After two nights of light freezing, it appears I have had a little damage. The tips of some of my Astilbes have wilted, two very young Hydrangeas now have brown leaves and a couple of my Heucheras have wilted blooms. I'm hoping the new growth takes care of the damage.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

nutsaboutnature; I would probably wait till the seond week of june to start one .by then I'm sure someone will have started one.
The gardens looking better this year than some previous, The plants always look so good in all the pics no matter where their at and that always astounds me. My eyes seem to miss something!

huggergirl' I have never seen frost bother a clematis, not as sure as I might be but I believe they could grow to the north pole.I have a red and blue growing here and four new red? ones that came from seeds of the older red,pretty plant. Everyone always comments about the one trellising up the front porch.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh my gosh - spent the whole day in my garden and it was WONDERFUL!

Thumbnail by sherriseden Thumbnail by sherriseden Thumbnail by sherriseden Thumbnail by sherriseden Thumbnail by sherriseden
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sherri - Your garden looks fantastic! What kind of plant is that in the first pic? I love the colors. Your Brunnera is huge. Mine is still pretty tiny, but it's already blooming.

Did you have any freeze damage? I didn't seem to after the first night, but two nights in a row affected several of my perennials. Oh well. . .that's Mother Nature.

I too spent the whole day outside,got a ton done. It was a beautiful day..

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

nutsaboutnature, that's epimedium - can't remember the variety, but they are all wonderful. They're one of the few that actually seem to like dry shade. This is one of two planted in a strange spot that is extremely rooty and dry. A few other things that seem to do OK there are wild geranium, columbines, and the brunnera - but I water the brunnera. They all seem to find their way around the roots. Thanks for the compliment!

Hugger, your garden - as always - looks like paradise!

Thank you Sherri,I know your`s are beautiful too...This Spring has been Helpful so early on..

Thumbnail by huggergirl

hugger - I do like the way you've planted among all of the rock and it's really colorful.
sherri - love the pics.
juhur - I am tempted to move some of seedlings outdoors but might wait another day or two due to nighttime temps here. Another brush with frost tonight.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful photos, everyone! I pruned this eugenia myself yesterday. Here are the before and after pics. It 's not perfect, but I'm mostly happy with it. I tried to cut off new growth for this year. But it will probably need a haircut after the new growth finishes this year. I've been meaning to do this for a few years now. When we moved in 5 years ago, it was a perfect spiral. This is the before pic.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Here is the 'After' pic. I feel like there are one too many spirals. But oh well. At least I didn't have to pay someone else to do it!

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for letting me lurk, and post by the way. Pacific NW forum has been extremely quiet lately. I guess a lot of members dropped out due to some weird controversies in the forum that occurred before I joined DG last year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

the goldfinches have returned, They ate my sunflower sprouting!!

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info sherri! I particularly like that it thrives in dry shade...my kind of plant. And You're Welcome, by-the-way.
I have some Biokovo Geraniums (the leaves smell like apple blossoms!) and several types of columbines. They don't seem to care too much whether the soil is good or bad.

Hugger - I absolutely agree with sherri and Cindy...I love the way you've intermixed rocks and plants on the slope in your garden...stunning!

Kosk - Your pruning skills are great! I'd probably be afraid to try such an involved shape. That's a shame about the Pacific NW forum, but you're always welcome here.

Juhur - Congrats on the Goldfinches! We have them year 'round, but we have alot more starting in Spring. I love to watch them go from their winter colors to the bright Summer ones. They kind of look like "patchwork" quilts for a while.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

my "mini iris' " up here in zone 4 are blooming.

not sure 'what' they are -- a gal from DG offered a bunch of bulbs a few yrs ago... they are a deep purple, and only about 4-6" high.

i'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Kosk - I think it has the exact right number of spirals. It's beautiful! You're talented and brave - most of us would shy away from trying something like that!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Kosk, I don't remember any controversies here, but there have been some pretty insane threads on the Trees and Shrubs forum (that still make me chuckle!) Hey, you're welcome here anytime. We're just a tad envious of your steady coolish temps and RAIN!! : ) So what were the controversies? (If you can share . . . )

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thx, Sherri. Like I said, it all preceded me. May have been political. And it sounded like things got unfriendly on private Dmails. There was also a thread there when I joined DG, that started with sort of an offensive line---something about guns, and basically if your skin was too thin, then you should steer clear of the thread. Kind of weird. I think all parties involved are gone now, but unfortunately it seems only a few remain to discuss what we all care about: plants!!! We have such an ideal climate here for year round gardening, that I am surprised there aren't more NW members on Daves garden. Waiting and hoping though!

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well, as I said, you are always welcome here, but I do hope the forum picks up for the sake of our NW neighbors. Such a wonderful region for gardening!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks! Beautiful weather the last few days. Still with lots of spring bulbs blooming! yellow + purple = my favorite color combo in the garden (along with crimson red + purple)

Thumbnail by kosk0025

kosk - some of my favorite color combinations as well!
Azaleas here should be open in another day or two. The cooler weather is making things a little more hesitant to bloom (finally!) and we do have a freeze warning for tonight.
Hardy geraniums are blooming here, Virginia bluebells having been in bloom for a few weeks are quickly fading, Astilbes have already been sending up flower stalks but not close to blooming yet, roses have lots of buds, money plant (Lunaria) is blooming but on much shorter plants than normal, woods poppy has been blooming for a couple of weeks. Sorry, folks, but I'm not one endowed with enough patience to go around snapping photos.

Whitmore Lake, MI(Zone 5b)

Kosk - as a University of Michigan alum, I have to heartily approve of your color combo in the pic :) The Gardeners at U of M have these flowers going right now in those colors, of course. Thanks for sharing!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

lol, Cynical! Well, I'm a University of Minnesota alum, and this is my U of MN plant in bloom right now. (And I was actually thinking that when I took the picture on Sunday---that these colors are so maroon and gold) Pulsatilla, pasque flower, I bought these last week.

Thumbnail by kosk0025

thanks all...I have more than a few rocks ...Its 32 TON...3 triaxle loads..I started out using plastic under the rock,then I stopped using it. Soo now I have plants popping out of all the cracks..I Love it...You cant hardly see the rocks anymore...LOL

Kosk,love that Pasque Flower,Keep posting on the NW forum you will find more people to chat with,about plants and not other issues...Ive seen that happen before ? And Ive been snubbed before,I just move on...Ive found soo many others that are a Ball to Chat with...And No politics and no snubbing..

My oldest brother is going to be moving to Blain Washington sometime ??? They already own a home there. On a sad note they will be leaving Denver,Cherry Creek....Sooo Gorgous...
And My nephew lives in Cresent city Califonia,cant wait to go out for a visit...Soon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a couple of clematis just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur, Beautiful,love any Climatis...

Ive got one ready to open anytime...maybe today...Yay

Tons of everything blooming ...

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Pretty Tam.... can't wait til my bleeding heart is that big. mine is blooming, but its quite small.

Thanks I had 2 ...bought one to replace it tho...Herre is my white one ,not nearly as big as normal ??Its soo pretty ...didnt think Id like white ??? wahhttt...LOL

Thumbnail by huggergirl

I really like my white bleeding hearts. Have them mixed in with the standard pink ones.
Have been away in TN for a week and find that the cooler weather has slowed down some blooms but that's just fine with me. First azaleas started opening up last week and the Northern Lights started just a couple of days ago. My Clematis have had buds on them for the past few weeks but between the really dry weather (no rain for a couple of weeks) and the cooler temps, they've held off opening up.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oooh. . .Pretty pictures everyone! Love the color of that Pulsatilla.

Those of you growing Bleeding Heart...about how long would it take to have one as big as the one in hugger's pic? Every year I say I'm going to plant some in my mostly shady yard, and then I forget about it, but I just love them.

We've had lots of rain in the last week. The plants are grateful.

Maybe I'll take a few pics tomorrow. It's pretty dreary-looking outside today.

well I see I still cant load more than 1 photo at a time....I get thrown off ???? Loose my whole post ???? GRRRR....

Bleeding hearts I got those at walmart,in the bag....LOL...2 growing seasons and they were gorgous

Ahhh blooms finally...have had this for 3 years finally moved it to where its happy

Thumbnail by huggergirl
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks hugger!! Maybe I'll still try to plant some this Spring so they can be blooming by next year. I've read they go dormant & completely disappear after they bloom.

Sorry for your computer woes. Computers are just MADDENING! We're having our own computer problems right now so I really sympathize with you.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's interesting that while the early Spring (plus some freezes) has caused damage to some plants, it has brightened colors on others.

I've noticed my red-colored Heucheras/Heucherellas are brighter along with some other plants. Also, I now have a few Summer blooms starting to open in super-sunny areas.

Following pics:
1) Salvia 'Eveline' (Bees, Butterflies & Hummers all LOVE these blooms) - last year was it's first full year & blooms lasted till frost. This year has really spread out.

2) Polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven' (Jacob's Ladder) - just planted last Spring. Very pretty blend of variegated Green, Cream & Pinkish-purple.

3) Heuchera (either 'Smoky Rose' or 'Silver Veil' ...not sure which) - new last Spring

4) Heuchera 'Georgia Peach' (gets huge leaves)

5) Heucherella 'Stoplight' (gets very vibrant as it grows)

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature

nuts - There are a couple of different species for bleeding hearts. There's D. spectabilis and D. eximia. I think it's the latter that holds onto it's foliage longer but you'd have to double check on that one. My neighbor has one that does through out occasional blooms beyond spring and it's in full sun. I've never gotten them to rebloom although some gardeners do say it's possible.
I was just noticing last week that there's a big difference in plants this year. The yellow/chartreuse foliage is wayyyy brighter and the purple foliage is way darker. And the plants seem a lot stronger, especially the iris foliage. I think it might be due to more sunlight this spring and not as much rain. Usually spring is cloudier and wetter for me than it has been this year. 'Georgia Peach' is a real orange knockout this year with its foliage. Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' and Centaurea 'Gold Buillon' foliage practically glows in the dark.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LUV the foliage and flowers, here;s the clematis bloomed out some more.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.