Any ideas? Fencing in my veggie garden

Union Grove, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi... the back (NE corner) of my lot is reserved for my vegetable garden, as you can see it's a farily big garden (about 12 X17). Last summer we got our first chickens and it's pretty apparent that we need to fence in the vegetable garden or we we won't get any produce!

So, as you can see, there's already a chain link fence around the lot, the plan is to work off of that, adding white picket fence ('about 3.5 ft tall) to close in the south and west border of the garden, we'll have an arbor at the entrance so it should be real cute :-)

Here's where I need your help (ideas), the fenced in area will be 24 x 30, so the grass within the fenced in area (surrounding current site) will be within the garden fencing and we don't want to have to mow it, so it needs to go! The edge along the picket fence can't be "planted" area as the chickens will be tempted to reach in, I'm thinking peastone path on that edge but not sure.

Any other ideas for that area? or the plot in general?

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy
This thread has 16 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!