Ceanothus ID Please

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

The Ceanothus are really pretty his time of year. I found this specimen in the rocks above a creek bed just north of Ramona and I'd really like to know the variety. The plant is about 12’ high by at least 20’ wide. It might have burned in the 2007 fire based on some burned branches near the base. I’m not sure how well the pictures will show that the leaves are very smooth and not shiny. The stems are very light, almost white and the flowers are a medium blue. I'll post a few additional pictures next. Thanks in advance.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Close up #1. Having trouble uploading more than one image at a time.

Thumbnail by TLeaves
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

I just realized that the photo in my original post didn't come through.

Thumbnail by TLeaves
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Another close up.

Thumbnail by TLeaves
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Last one ...

Thumbnail by TLeaves
Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

From what I can tell, this appears to be Ceanothus leucodermis (chaparral whitethorn).

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

TLeaves,
I don't have a clue what kind they are, but I do have a question. How tall do they get? My ES is looking for bushy plants to screen his yard from the hay lot and wood lot down the slope from his place.
I think he'd really like that blue flower. I do! : - )
Do they like poor, well drained soil, with scads of sun?
Really pretty sprays of blue flowers. Does anything eat them berries?
I'm full of questions, aren't I?
WIB~
SW

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi SW - I'm certainly not the Ceanothus expert, but they are native to California so they like our soil and dry summer conditions. Deer eat some varieties of Ceanothus but leave others alone. Some can get very large.

Here's a great link which compares varieties, sizes and conditions they like, etc.

http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/ceanothus/california_ceanothus.html

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, I recognize them now. They grow all over the hills in between you and me. : - )
I know them by the name California Lilac. Really a nice plant, and a native too! I'll show
my ES, and let him buy them. LOL!
Thanks for the info, TLeaves. : - )
WIB~
SW

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

According to "San Diego County Native Plants", it looks like Ceanothus leucodermis.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Kelli. That's what I thought it might be but wasn't sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.