New Cold Frame - 14' Wide by 26' long!

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Haven't prepped the soil yet by the frame is done & covered with plastic. I was thinking about growing some kind of legume, vetch or clover to build the soil over the summer and then plant it with lettuce in the fall. Any ideas for a hot weather soil builder?

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's the interior view:

Thumbnail by jozeeben
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Clover or vetch either one should help.

You could improve the heat-holding capabilities quite a bit if you added a second layer of plastic inside the frame. I added 4-foot wide bubble wrap inside my frame and it does an excellent job of keeping the interior warmer. I posted a thread with tons of pictures of the whole process under "Shed Frame greenhouse".

Here's a photo of the bubble wrap inside.

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

David - Thanks for recommendations. I may try to grow an early crop of bush beans so I'll have a little more to sell at the farmer's market but I hate picking them. My back is hurting just thinking about it! Where'd you get your bubble wrap?

Joe

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Joe,

I ordered it online at Amazon. I paid $50 for a 100 foot roll that is 48" wide. That was way more than I needed, but I will save it for future use. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JZU2DG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Having the second layer has really made a difference in keeping warm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.