Do Your Emerald Gaiety Euonymus lose leaves?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I have 3 very small Emerald Gaiety Euonymus shrubs that I planted in a border last year. Each of them over our very, very mild winter has lost half or more of their leaves. I've checked for evidence of scale and I cannot see any nor do the pictures of scale affected leaves look like anything I saw last year. Right now the defoliated parts of the shrubs have nubby pink buds all over them. I want to think that is a good sign. I have read broad leaf evergreens can lose leaves in high altitudes or harsh winters but my garden doesn't fit either of those situations. Does this leaf-drop happen to other folks?

Also- I'd love some advice on how to deal with the crazy looking long shoots. I know the plant can climb, but I really would prefer a loose, mounded look. Each plant shot out one long, crazy looking shoot looking to climb and I'm afraid that if I cut it off more crazy ones will take its place (like the hack-job I did on one of my abelias a few years ago!).

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

If you don't see any signs of scale or other diseases/problems, I wouldn't worry too much. Even evergreens (of all types) shed leaves in Winter to make way for new ones, just not in as obvious a way as deciduous trees and shrubs.
As for those crazy shoots, go ahead and prune them back, by hand, one at a time. I've got one out front that shoots off like nuts, but then again, that is their growing habit. :) Now is the time to do this pruning, late Winter/early Spring. Just selectively prune until you get a shape that you like, it's all good. =)

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree with speedie on pruning. I normally cut them back all the way down, well below the surrounding branches.

Evergreen shrubs can also lose leaves if they are too dry in the winter time. However, this winter has been neither cold nor dry. Without seeing the pattern of the leaf loss, it is hard to tell what has caused it. Mine (all 9 of them, 3 different varieties) lost leaves this winter because deer ate them :-(

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9019054

Mine's lost some as well, but not a whole heck of a lot.... but, I don't have deer problems where I live. I think they just ran away.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just checked mine and they haven't dropped any leaves. I have seen that type of behavior in new plants that are going into their first winter. Might just be because they aren't completely established. If you are seeing new growth I wouldn't be too worried yet.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Deer defoliation here. Those long shoots and other prunings will root quite readily to become new bushes if you want...just stick them in soil or a pot of soil. Be sure to moniter any branches near a house or structure as they will attatch.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for all the thoughts! I know deer are not a problem, but they are first year plants so the idea they are not fully established really makes sense to me. I'll give them a reprieve and hope they really "take off", in a good way, this year.

Lady, make sure you feed your babies, too!! Lots of compost around them like mulch, but not right up against the trunks. :)

Coleup, thank you for mentioning the rooting tip, I hadn't thought of that! Mine's out there right now shproinging up shoots all over the place, and since I enjoy them so much, I think I'll prune her tomorrow for some new ones. Wheee!! Time to start my new "To Do" list! =)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

They also readily root where they touch the ground.

I use mine for pruning practise as it seems no matter how little or how much or where I prune the bush fills in and looks ok. Not so with abelias (ahemm) for instance!

Mine are bothered with mildew so if it doesn't rain all weekend I may try my hand at opening them up lol if I can find my nippers. In actuality, I have to trim mine back two to three times a year. I'm sure mine are not "cultured" varieties but they are evergreen and low maintenance. The birds like them, too.

Oh pooh, you're right, it *is* supposed to be raining tomorrow, huh? ... oh well, a little rain never hurt anyone, right? =)

"if you can find your nippers"!??? Oh dear, I sure hope you find 'em! 'A Place For Everything and Everything In Its Place'. (I'm ready to be bonked on the head now) < =P

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Will the shoots root in clay soil? I amend my beds as much as I can, but it is still pretty clay-centric soil. Is clay-centric a word? Is now!

They probably will, if you tuck them into an amended area. Where I've got mine is still rather 'clay-centric' (I like that word!), and it's doing very well. It was a small baby when I installed it and it's taking off like gangbusters! =)

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Usually I stick mine in aquart pot of potting soil , two or three cuttings each. When roots start to grow out of bottom drainage holes. they are ready to plant. I plant them high, in a mound of soil as high as that in their pot and about 12" in diameter , good loose, friable soil and just loosen the soil below the mound (mine is claycentric, too.) and then mulch.

Well drained is key as eus don't like wet feet.

Found this site today on pruning and planting and propogating . Especially enjoyed the comments.

http://www.landscapeadvisor.com/how-to-prune-euonymus-emerald-gaiety-and-gold/

Looks like the rain is clearing out and I have found my nippers...so, among other things I can do in garden today, prunning is job one!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'll second (third?) maybe it was that they weren't quite established and go a little stressed. My big ol Eunoymus doesn't ose leaves except with scale, or mildew, or now dang Euonymus leaf notchers.

I think they'd root in anything. t least, mine would. Both E. I have seem to root very readily.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't get out to prune off the crazy shoots given the forecast for snow today. It was so wild today, very snowy until about 12noon, then everything melted. The sun then came out around 2pm AND it was snowing. I grew up in New England and have never seen blinding sun and a complete squall happening at the same time. My co-workers and I stood at the window in awe for a few minutes. I'll wait until things stabilize before I stress these little plants any more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.