CLOSED: Spring is Just Around the Corner March Chat

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Our measly 6" of snowfall February 19th was only a memory after a couple of days when our temps warmed up.....once again.

Around here, March Came In Like A Lion with strong winds, thunderstorms, and tornado warnings overnight. Thankfully we had no damage, only buckets of rain.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Me first!!! yeehaw :)

Spoken like a true Texan!

Fruity... did you get my d-mail??

Last night I did and answered. Don't have a new one from you today.

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Me second? Giddyup!

I'm loving all the flower pictures. I'm a little late getting all the bulbs/tubers in the ground, but our weather has been such a yoyo (not as much as yours Fruity!!!) and we've had an abundance of the wet stuff. The bulbs and tubers are spreading out in their storage.

Anyone ever cold-crashed bulbs? And then forgot about them in the freezer for a couple of days? :(

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Carey, oh no! LOL I think I did that with some cold start seeds, found them about a year later.. mushy..

those crocus and primrose on previous page are beautiful!
storms here too last night and night before, but nothing wet landed here, or cold either. Joe dug up the vegetable gardens, my tomatoe plants are ready to go in, but I am waiting until April 15th.

Athens, PA

I am here!

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Sun is shining here today. I see that the wet snow has helped my crocus to pop up!

Erin

Debra, I'm depressed about them too. They were some daffs I found on ebay with double blooms and highly fragrant varieties (I love smelly stuff!). It's been too warm already to try to order any more online so I'll have to try in the fall.

Of course, the paperwhite bulbs that broke ground were starting to get nibbled. I was getting mad at the squirrels when I went outside last and found a big 'ol ugly fat caterpillar happily munching my daffs to the ground. YUCK. I put him in the big garbage bin. Hopefully he was the only one!

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Here is a pic of my itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny, yellow ....... daffodil !!! lol I just moved a bunch of them from one flowerbed to along my sidewalk, not expecting them to bloom this year. BUT .... in fact a bunch of them are blooming! lol You can see how short they are and the blooms are tiny, but so cute!

Thumbnail by Crit
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I have some of those Crit! Mine are 'Tete e tete' and I buy pots of them every spring and plant them!

I don't think these are that. Last year they were all real tall with big flowers. I just dug some of them up and moved them. I believe I probably stunted them when I moved them, and they will be back to normal next year. The ones I left in that bed are all big.

Patti maybe that's what happened to my paperwhite bulbs. They were two feet tall over Christmas last year, but since I only just put them in the ground last month....they're rather stunted as well.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Serious storms here.....marble and pea size hail, lots of wind, rain, thunder, lightening......I can't look outside or I'll crawl under my desk! I really don't like the storms. Tornado 'watch' in effect until 7PM.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I am here!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIENDS HOPE YOU SEE THIS :) JSX HAVE MISSED YOUR POST ARE YOU STILL WITH US :::
jsxtiger
Bettypauze

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Nasty storms in Alabama......Elfie you ok???

Praying for everyone to stay safe!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

Just got home from errands and I feel that spring is really here. There are blooms everywhere. The Lantana in everycolor and paperwhites. I got such a late start last fall that I feel way behind. All my plants are so tiny still. When the winds not blowing it is warm and beautiful.
I hope everyone is safe and will keep sending prayers and positive thoughts.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Watching the news tonight. Praying for all those affected in the storms.

Hey Erin, I picked up a few more bags of seed starting mix today and a jug of Preen. Now I'm ready to go again.

You just reminded me, Robyn, to rob a few Lantanas from my girlfriend down the road. Hers are so pretty every year. She also has lots of Beefsteak Perilla that pop up around the perimeter of her property. They're fun to add to my hanging baskets for color, but wouldn't dare unleash them in the gardens. I have enough Henbit and other Winter weeds as it is.

I called our Elfie late this afternoon. We mainly gabbed about our RU in June. She's at their old homeplace planning to dig up plants tomorrow to take to their new digs. Isn't she stopping to see you Sunday, Crystal? She didn't mention any impending storms, and I forgot to ask if she has an internet connection.

Hey all,,
I am at my daughters house with Gryphon and Goober!!

No rain so far,, I think I dodged the storms,, but we are under a tornado watch. We dug up all my herbs and repotted them to be moved,, also dug up hen and chicks and sedums, tomorrow we will dig up, cannas, elfen thyme, some iris, lilies, passion fruit vines and I am going to be digging up delhias,. Of course this is all contingent on the weather not turning to bad on us.

Every one knows I will not drive where there is rain ,,,, lol

I enjoyed our chat, Elfie. We have bad storms predicted to hit between 2-5 AM, including tornado watches. I'm a sound sleeper but hubby isn't and know he'll be up multiple times during the night. All three cats are in the garage piled up on an old comforter, sleeping together as cozy as bugs in a rug.

I will be sleeping at DD house, so no one needs to worry about me being alone tonight!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Keep us posted Elfie - glad you are getting to rescue your dearies from the house.

See you soon. :D

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Elfie, Hope to hear from you about whether you are coming by or want me to meet you somewhere?I do not know what each day may bring. My sister is having a lot of bad days.

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Have any of you tried the DG journal? I have tried to get into it twice, but it makes no sense to me. I thought it would be a place you could make notes on what was going on in the garden, but so far I see no place for that. It looks like all you can do is set up categories of a word or 2 and if that is the way it is, it is worthless to me. I tried reading the help section but still did not see anywhere to actually record anything. What good is a journal you cannot write in. Maybe I am just missing the whole point? I tried looking at a couple of other people's journals and it all just looked like one word entry , or sort of lists.
Can anyone provide any insight in this for me?

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

That sounds like the journals I have looked at. I read and keep a blog. That is where I keep track of what I've done and what I want to do. I find alot of the blogs to be fun and informational.

Crystal,, I am hoping to see you on Sunday afternoon. Sending dmail now

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Taking the kids out to lunch at Applebee's and going to see The Lorax. Should be fun. Max's first time in a theater. Anna's second time, they are both super excited that Mommy and Daddy are going . DH usually works 7 days a week. Have a great day all! =)

Erin

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

True - the blog is where it's at if you just want to make observations about what's going on in the garden.

Every year I keep a paper journal in a notebook of what I plant. I usually draw a map too.

This season I couldn't find my little notebook I'd been using and had to start without it so I started using the journal. I'd looked at some other members' journals and they looked so complicated it sorta scared me, but it's really easy to use.

I am using it to maintain my records now of what I've sown and when. You can add notes to each entry as things progress.

I also use the blog for when I need to talk to myself. :)

There's plenty of toys here to play with and keep me busy. Too bad I can't get paid for it. I will receive my pay when the flowers are blooming and I stand in the middle of the yard in awe.

have a pleasant day.

A.

Hoping everyone is safe and sound from the storms around the country the last couple of days. We have some gardeners from Anchorage, AK on here. I saw on the news a church roof collapsed from the snow with people inside! How horrifying. I've been through a tornado too. No fun!

Imagining A. standing in her gardens looking around in awe. ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Love you P. :)

A.

>3 you too A. ^_^

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Thanks for those couple insights into the journal and blog.
I did start a blog, have not had time to look at other folk's blog. I did finally get to a place on that journal where you could add a plant at a time, but think that is too cumbersome for me. Believe paper notebook is better. Might be the Ludite in me tho. Sometimes it is just simpler to go on in the old way with pen and paper than to deal with all this electronic gibberish.

Athens, PA

Hoping everyone stays safe!

Crystal - I use the journal to keep track of each of my plants, from year to year. I put in short sentences along with photos of each plant. I am behind and have a ton of photos to add, but that is how it goes for me.

Amanda is right - the blog function I think is what you are looking for. That is more of a diary type thing.

I have found that I can set up as many blogs and journals as I would like. I have even gone so far as to journal different recipes that I have found online as well.

Worked all day cleaning the house, then dug up plants. And dug and dug and dug!!

I know that I was told that I planted my deliahas wrong,,, but when I went to dig them up out of the mucky mess of a front garden bed. However,, I sure wish I remembered to take my camera,, the tubers were growing above ground and they were in a huge cluster abound 2 foot across!! These were the dinner plate ones that Deejay /Susie. Sent me for a spring swap in 2010.

I will try to get some pictures of them tomorrow. I am worn out....sigh

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good luck in that mud, Elfie.

Just woke up from a nap..feel like I need one more!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.