Coffee For Blueberries?

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Someone had told me to side dress my blueberry plants with coffee grounds???
I do this with my azaleas and they look just fab, but with my blueberries?...
Quite a number of them are new planted transplants split from larger plants last Feb. Is it too early for them to get fertilizer and grounds???

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

You may want to check out the reference here:

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=793

-Rich

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

hmmm

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Some people use coffee and some people use Sulfur from the local nursery.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

We have been using coffee grounds sprinkled around our Azaleas for years, Bananas for Roses, Eggshells for Tomatoes/Peppers, and wormcastings as a spring and fall vermi/composted additive to our soils for everything.
I just have not had a reason to ask about our blueberries before because we only had three little bushes that I honestly had given up on any production except the jusy snack in the yard and for the birds...LOL
But now that I am 15 strong in the blueberry bush dept, if this was a no expense way to add the acitidy they need, it would be fab
I am still listening for any other comments, either yay or nay :O)

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Coffee grounds can get moldy but only if left in clumps. I spread mine out or work it into the soil evenly.

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

TKX:O)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

If you work them into the soil around the blueberry plants, do so carefully. They have very shallow (near the surface) feeder roots that don't like to be disturbed. Kristi

Prosperity, SC(Zone 7b)

Well maybe I'll just put them in with my worms and then when I put the worm castings around the plants the little escapee worms can dig it in for me...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.