Hummers have been seen in my town

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm in Pearisburg, VA and I've talked to 2 different people who have seen them this past week. One in a little community near me, Pembroke, and another lady saw them in Pearisburg. So out the feeders went. 10 in all and I bring them in at night. Temps have been in the 50-60 range but 25-35 nights.

Out weather is soooo screwed up. I can't wait to see my first one of the year.
Kathy

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Lucky you!! Our weather has been unseasonably warm all winter, but now we have snow on the ground . . .and more is expected (I am kind of out of the mood for it now). I hope the hummers stay away for awhile yet.

Yardley, PA

How awesome. I can't wait for my first hummer either. This area it is usually around the end of April but it has been so warm, who knows.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I know. I have lots of feeders spread out in wide open areas but I haven't seen one myself. I keep looking! Check out this map - migration for lots of birds, butterflies, hummers
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/Maps.html

Kathy

Central , AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! I love that website!
Thanks so much for sharing

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

I am waiting for the Hummers, too. The Hummingbird migration map I use is here, www.hummingbirds.net. I don't believe the first wave of hummers have come across the gulf yet - winds have been westerly. We just had a strong front dip down to the Yucatan, and I'm hoping that southerly winds will follow and draw the hummers up. My feeder is out, Salvia and citrus are blooming, Bottlebrush is about to pop, I am past ready for my little friends.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

They are due here by this next week, but some of the hummers I really believe wintered here in Houston this year, some things are returning slow and some are returning faster. Dont forget Daylite Savings hits this weekend...

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Finally a time change that I like. I haven't seen my hummers and have feeders every where but - hopefully they are fed and sheltered.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

Yeah!!!! I just saw my first. I watched the feeder for about an hour afterwards, hoping to spot him again, but he didn't return. Must be headed north.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It's so cold and very windy here today. Got up to 50 but a very cold 50. My feeders have gotten so cold but not frozen and as the day warms them to 65 or so I just let them alone. Should I bring them inside or heat up the solution? I would hope any necter is better than none.

I've put out about 10 feeders and haven't seen one since.
Kathy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, ya'll are so lucky! I want my hummers. Waaaa. :-)

I'd bring them inside and let thaw. Any way you could keep one or two of them from freezing outdoors ... with a light bulb or a heating pad perhaps?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

flowers arent hot, so nectar at 'room temps' plz, scouts are comin thru, feeders are usually in the winds, unless an arbor to the north winds blocks some wind?....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Guys, I made my nectar and refrigerated them. Awaiting to set them out soon. No sighting here just yet. Congrats to those that got the chance to welcome them.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, soon, I hope as well. ♥ It will be in the mid-70's here this week.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

I saw one this morning when I went to get my mail. It was almost solid black with a grayish belly. I've never seen a black one before. I get lots of the bright green ones.

It loitered around the flowers on my coral honeysuckles for about five minutes.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

JC, you're South of here. Are you very close to Mobile? Are your Coral honeysuckles in blooms? Mine are;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes. I'm about 10 miles north of Mobile.

My coral honeysuckles have been blooming since last June. I planted them last March. The blooms in winter have been sparse but they are really coming on now.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks JC. How interesting. What's a difference one full zone makes! Mine just begun to bloom, a little early this year I think compared to years past. This year they come as the dogwoods in bloom.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I had a fly by for two ruby throats today. Can't wait until they get more regular!

Russell

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, I'm envious. :-)

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

I am eagerly anticipating my first hummer of the year - it's HOT out, & my perennial sage is blooming (along with most everything else) , but no sightings or buzz- bys yet. They usually make their appearance coinciding with the sage blossoms, but - like shihtzumom says, our weather IS all screwed up. Maybe we are still in for a cold snap - Easter weekend is normally terrible, weather-wise. The hummers will come when they will - I will just be happy to see them!!

Edelstein, IL

Been wondering about the hummers here in IL as we have had really warm weather for several weeks and according to the weather men on tv things are blooming etc 2 months early here. It has been in the high 70*- 80*s for awhile. Hard to believe for central ILL in MARCH! Can not beleive it will last but am all for it if it does

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

87º here today and the record has been shattered.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cville_gardener, this year has broke many a records!!! But I can't complain for it has been so nice a mild winter. What's nicer? I just now saw my first hummingbird in the garden! I'm so tickled; I'm beside myself. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, they must be near me by now then. Not too far from AL to TN. ^_^

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Hello hummer admirers! I am glad to know others are not so patiently waiting for hummingbird arrivals. Only caught the end of the season last year but was hooked as soon as i saw the first guest at my feeder. I immediately went out to get 3 more feeders. Since I had all winter to plan, i have added some hummer friendly plants to my yard. This is my 2nd year in TN, we moved from NYC and haven't looked back since. I have 2 feeders up now and am hoping that as soon as Cville has a sighting, they will be heading my direction soon. So excited!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I hope so too, scarletbean. They are just so special! ♥

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.